New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Feb 7, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #2,371 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, Andrea. Why don't you give them a shot?

What's funny about this whole opamp rolling game is that there's no point at which the testing will ever end. There's so many combinations and so many different opamp sounds and listening preferences that it could go on forever. I find myself trusting some of the members like Hiflight and Headphone Addict quite a bit b/c they have tried so many combinations and have very experienced ears for this stuff (which I don't).

For me, It's going to be pretty tough to convince me that there's much better for my preferences than 6241 (DAC) with AD743 (L/R) and LHM6655 (buffers). I think that's magical. Right now, I have 6234 (DAC) with AD743 and LMH6655 and I like it, but it's kind of cold and not very engaging.

I have two amps, the D1 and a Corda Move. If I spend my efforts trying to get the D1 amp to sound like the Move does, it will be a waste of time. There's no way the D1 can put that solid, clean bass and very detailed, up-front presentation into my ears with the detail, clarity and effortlessness of the move. It simply won't compete.

However, with my current opamps, the D1 will give a much different sound signature to me that is very interesting and unique. It will provide a separated soundstage with detail and clarity, but not that thickness or punchiness to the bass. The sound melts into your ears rather than being forced there (which I feel the Move does sometimes). I think there's something to be said for each amp having a signature sound and embracing that. Is it as good as the Move? No, probably not. But I can get a sound signature and presentation out of it that the Move can't duplicate--and one that is highly enjoyable with classical music and softer acoustic pop music or jazz music. It's wonderful to have options!

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #2,372 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LMH6655 is a rather cold sounding opamp - not so cold and dead as the LMH6643, but not warm and very colorful either, for sure. It's nice anyway.

Two AD8620 in the buffer position might work well, whereas the AD8599 might work very well in LR in place of the AD797.

A lot of the older D1 users have tried the AD8599, and most of us prefer the AD797 to the AD8599. Brush up on this LONG thread please
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #2,373 of 2,626
I need advice. I've been using my D1 for several weeks now like this: H140 optical out>sysconcepts toslink>D1>ER-4S. Bought it just after the new LT1364 and 6643 buffers got added. My comparison amp of over a year of listening is the Portaphile V2 Maxxed with AD8610 opamps and 634 buffers.

I'm finally confident about what I'm hearing in the D1. Detail is great, love the product overall, but there is too much brightness. My Portaphile is smoother with more warmth and bottom end, but less detail. I'm guessing the DAC is one reason for more detail from the D1.

The question: So if I crave more bass from my D1 and less brightness, should I try the AD797? Sounds popular. Or will I lose something there and should go with the more balanced AD743? Not sure about buffer configs with these either...I'm definitely a bass head, but I don't like mud with my bass. Music preference is progressive/heavy rock.

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #2,374 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need advice. I've been using my D1 for several weeks now like this: H140 optical out>sysconcepts toslink>D1>ER-4S. Bought it just after the new LT1364 and 6643 buffers got added. My comparison amp of over a year of listening is the Portaphile V2 Maxxed with AD8610 opamps and 634 buffers.

I'm finally confident about what I'm hearing in the D1. Detail is great, love the product overall, but there is too much brightness. My Portaphile is smoother with more warmth and bottom end, but less detail. I'm guessing the DAC is one reason for more detail from the D1.

The question: So if I crave more bass from my D1 and less brightness, should I try the AD797? Sounds popular. Or will I lose something there and should go with the more balanced AD743? Not sure about buffer configs with these either...I'm definitely a bass head, but I don't like mud with my bass. Music preference is progressive/heavy rock.

My suggestion (if you can afford it) is to try 2 AD797 and 2 AD743. This guy on Head-Fi has both for sale at a good price: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f44/fs...update-265336/

I think you'll like the 797 better if you're a bass head...the AD743 isn't particularly bassy (at least with my highly recommended LMH6655 as buffers). Try the AD797 bypassed or with AD8397 as buffers.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #2,375 of 2,626
K, how do you bypass buffers? Do you put one of those dummy opamps in?

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #2,376 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K, how do you bypass buffers? Do you put one of those dummy opamps in?

Yes, dummy opamps in the buffers - there's a photo in this thread somewhere.

As for opamp choice - I am finding the AD797 with AD8397 in buffers makes this a portable amp with particular magic with my high end Grado headphones. It is exceeded only by My Darkvoice 336i tube amp with $80 worth of tubes (Hytron 5692 brownbase with Tung Sol 5998 in the rear) when trying to drive these high current headphones.

I have the AD743 x2 sitting here that I will hopefully try tonight, but I like the punchy bass and lack of brittle highs, and so I may end up going back to the AD797.

I have several buffers to try with the AD743 - LM4562, LME49720, LMH6643, and AD8397, and dummy opamps with jumpers.

Another good opamp with a balanced frequency response for LR is the OPA2111 but it made the sound stage a little too distant for my ears. I think I like the LT1364 better though. And, I liked the AD744x2 in my PIMETA which had very punchy bass, so I may try the AD746 again, which I understand to be the dual version of the 744.

I have to put together some shelves in my room to hold all my stuff, and a meeting at my kids school at 7pm, so it may not happen tonight.

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #2,377 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny that people don't consider the AD8620 for the buffer, since its much better suited there than the LM4562 and LME49720 for its higher output current - and, while it's certainly not so well suited as the AD8397 in this regard, it does sound more refined.

How do you know which OP amp will make a better buffer or L/R amp ?

What is the purpose of the buffer? Is it just for improved impedance matching?

How do you know if the amp you are using for L/R needs the buffers?

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #2,378 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know which OP amp will make a better buffer or L/R amp ?

Most opamps that are suitable for buffers are labelled as such in the datasheets. There are no ironclad rules though. Most opamps that are used for buffers output much more current than to opamps used for other purposes.

What is the purpose of the buffer? Is it just for improved impedance matching?

It does help with impedance matching to a greater or lesser degree, again depending on the choice of opamp for LR.

How do you know if the amp you are using for L/R needs the buffers?

Trial and error...often, opamps that output a pretty good current, such as THS4032 and AD797 can be used with the buffer sockets bypassed using dummy opamps.

See information inserted between questions above!

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #2,379 of 2,626
I have D1 of a standard composition.
Please teach best DAC for SR-71.

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #2,380 of 2,626
Do you want to know the best opamp for the dac section of the D1 if you use the SR-71 as the amp?

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #2,381 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you want to know the best opamp for the dac section of the D1 if you use the SR-71 as the amp?

Yes.
That's right.

Could you teach the combination of something good opamp?

Thanks,

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #2,382 of 2,626
Out of curiosity, the iBasso D1 is now specified from the main site to ship with a high quality optical cable.

Being the n00b I am at this, may I assume that this optical cable is directly useable from the iRiver H1x0 series DAPs to feed the digital signals directly to the D1's optical input?

Thanks in advance =)

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #2,383 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, the iBasso D1 is now specified from the main site to ship with a high quality optical cable.

Being the n00b I am at this, may I assume that this optical cable is directly useable from the iRiver H1x0 series DAPs to feed the digital signals directly to the D1's optical input?

Thanks in advance =)

The cable should be a toslink to toslink, so you will need a toslink to miniplug adaptor to connect to your iRiver.

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #2,384 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable should be a toslink to toslink, so you will need a toslink to miniplug adaptor to connect to your iRiver.

I got mine from sysconcept.ca (per recommendations from the first page of this thread) and couldn't be happier. You can also order a custom-length high quality optical cable from them. Get the shortest one they make for use with an Iriver. Get the cable toslink-to-toslink. Then get a right angle adapter toslink-to-toslink (that will go into the iBasso). Also, get a right angle adapter toslink-to-mini (that goes in the Iriver or Macbook Pro or any other mini Optical plug).

I think the custom optical cable was around $20 and the plugs were $2 or $3 a piece. They are of great help if you have questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back