New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Feb 11, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #2,386 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.
That's right.

Could you teach the combination of something good opamp?

Thanks,

Much of that information is on the first page and in the recent few pages of this thread there is information that should give you everything you need to know.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #2,387 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i ditch ad743 + lm6655... for lme49720/lm4562 + bypass.....

Are you saying that either LME49720 or LM4562 can be used in L/R and that they sound the same as each other?

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #2,390 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know when the new D2 is going to come out?

It is said to be introduced after Chinese New Year (which was over) so you can expect sometimes this month.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #2,391 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by haymaker18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying that either LME49720 or LM4562 can be used in L/R and that they sound the same as each other?

it works ok for me with bypass...

now i'm useing another combi.. i return ad743 and lmh6655 to their places.. and replace 6241 with lmh4562..

the difference now is the separation is much better.. the music flow is smoother and it does not sound that sharp when compared with 6241...

take note that i notice a big difference with burn-ined 4562 and new 4562.. you may need to give a greate deal of hours on 4562/49720 before it can really shine...

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #2,393 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Much of that information is on the first page and in the recent few pages of this thread there is information that should give you everything you need to know.

It decided it to the immediate order for AD8656 referring to the first page.

Opamp and buf ordered AD8620, AD8397, and LM4562.

Thanks,

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #2,395 of 2,626
I'm totally clueless about amps but I had a few questions about the D1

1) Does it support mic in (ADC) ? I really need that functionality, although I do have a crap USB soundcard with a mic in right now, I'd prefer not to to have to switch between the 2.

2) How many mW to W can the D1 be adjusted from?

3) Would it totally bring my Denon AH-D2000's to the next level and sound amazing together (for a beginner on unamped crap USB soundcard with only E3C and UE 5EB as experience)?
D2000 specs:
Impedance: 25 ohms
Sensitivity: 106dB/mW
Largest input: 1,800mW

I have heard some people say the D2000 is easy to drive while others say it needs a lot of mw?

4) In simple terms whats the difference between the D1 vs D2? Price difference?

5) Is it worth waiting out for the D2?

Thanks in advance for helping this beginner!

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #2,396 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm totally clueless about amps but I had a few questions about the D1

1) Does it support mic in (ADC) ? I really need that functionality, although I do have a crap USB soundcard with a mic in right now, I'd prefer not to to have to switch between the 2.

2) How many mW to W can the D1 be adjusted from?

3) Would it totally bring my Denon AH-D2000's to the next level and sound amazing together (for a beginner on unamped crap USB soundcard with only E3C and UE 5EB as experience)?
D2000 specs:
Impedance: 25 ohms
Sensitivity: 106dB/mW
Largest input: 1,800mW

I have heard some people say the D2000 is easy to drive while others say it needs a lot of mw?

4) In simple terms whats the difference between the D1 vs D2? Price difference?

5) Is it worth waiting out for the D2?

Thanks in advance for helping this beginner!

Chronos...

1: The D1 had 4 inputs: Aux, USB, Optical, Coax. I suspect that the Aux would handle a mike input if it is a 1/8" stereo miniplug, although I have not tried it. It does not have the ability to function as a mixer. I'm not sure what you plan to do with the mike input.

2: The output can be adjusted from 0 to earsplitting. There is no milliwatt specification stated, as it depends on the impedance of the driven phones. The sensitivity of your phones are 106 db/mw, so you should have more than adequate power available to damage your hearing!

3: You should certainly notice a difference using the amp, especially if you use the digital inputs. Whether or not it takes you to another level pretty much depends on your starting point of reference. From a crap soundcard, I would say that you will be very pleased. If you decide to change the opamps to a different combination, you will notice even more improvement. The D1 has great potential for improvements in the sound quality, as you have probably surmised from the D1 thread.

4: The D1 has the ability to separate the DAC from the amplifier, allowing it to be used as a standalone DAC. It also has, as previously mentioned above, aux, coax, usb and optical inputs. The D2 has only usb. Cost difference will probably be about $50-60 dollars, although the price for the D2 has not yet been officially posted. The D2 will probably use the P2 amp architecture, which is more sophisticated than that used in the D1. The consensus of opinion is that the stock P2 sounds better than the stock D1.

5: Whether it is worth waiting depends on your anticipated usage. If you want to use devices with digital outputs, the D1 is the logical choice. If you want a small amp with less input/output flexibility, but still have a USB input, the D2 will probably serve your needs nicely

iBasso has been extremely receptive from inputs from their customers, and have made improvements in the opamps that are installed in the stock units.

Both the D1 and P2, and very likely the upcoming D2 have opamp sockets to allow the users to experiment with different opamps to custom tailor the amps sound to ones personal preference.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #2,397 of 2,626
Thank you very much for your help. I am however, still a little confused. Considering that I have no amp and a crap soundcard, I would like the D1/D2 to act as both DAC and an amp for my Denons. I'm not sure what digital out means, I will most likely only be using this with my computer or DAP (samsung yp-t9) as source and my headphones/earphones.

The only function I would want is the mic which seems like the D1 would fit better. The mic plug is the same size as any headphone plug (they're actually from a set of headphone+mic combos). I need the mic function for a few of the programs I use (not for music, just purely voice), which would mean some sort of ADC. Does the D1 have this capability?

Is it safe to assume the D2 is basically a slightly improved D1 but smaller, simpler, and cheaper?

It is good to know these will power my Denons nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #2,398 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much for your help. I am however, still a little confused. Considering that I have no amp and a crap soundcard, I would like the D1/D2 to act as both DAC and an amp for my Denons. I'm not sure what digital out means, I will most likely only be using this with my computer or DAP (samsung yp-t9) as source and my headphones/earphones.

The only function I would want is the mic which seems like the D1 would fit better. The mic plug is the same size as any headphone plug (they're actually from a set of headphone+mic combos). I need the mic function for a few of the programs I use (not for music, just purely voice), which would mean some sort of ADC. Does the D1 have this capability?

Is it safe to assume the D2 is basically a slightly improved D1 but smaller, simpler, and cheaper?

It is good to know these will power my Denons nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

not necessarily simpler in the amp section, but less input options.

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #2,399 of 2,626
When the D1 is acting as an external sound card, it will not take microphone input and feed it to your PC. However, you should be able to use the mixer or some other control panel in Windows to use the mic in from the normal sound card, but do audio out through the D1.

In the Mac, that is all done with the Audio MIDI setup application, and I can use the built-in mic of my Macbook, but send sound out through the USB DAC.

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #2,400 of 2,626
Alright so it seems to me like I can go with either the D1 or D2 for functionality, and the difference should be minimal in terms of sound quality as well.

So the only reasons justifying the wait for the D2 would be that it might be smaller/more portable and cheaper than the D1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back