[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,671 of 5,962
Congrats!

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #2,675 of 5,962
Has anyone who owns the X1 also used the Sony MDR-1R? Can you please post your comparisons.. specifically in regard to the comfort (around the ear) and the instrument separation, bass etc.

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2,676 of 5,962
Got my X1's today.  Real quick initial impressions:  Far more realistic sounding then the Monoprice 8323 and the bass goes much deeper.  Bass QUANTITY is not as much as I expected from reading all the reviews.  Extremely comfortable.  Extremely.

Now to really listen to them...

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #2,677 of 5,962
  Got my X1's today.  Real quick initial impressions:  Far more realistic sounding then the Monoprice 8323 and the bass goes much deeper.  Bass QUANTITY is not as much as I expected from reading all the reviews.  Extremely comfortable.  Extremely.

Now to really listen to them...

Don't forget to try a different cable. You might be shocked at the difference lol.

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,678 of 5,962
I have a cable being made now by a kind member here, I'll check out this cable theory soon.

Another observation:  These headphones friggin stink.  Like chemicals.  I hope it goes away.

Edit: I also wonder if the bass is due to using a receiver to power the headphones and a impedance mismatch.  I think I see a headphone amp in my future after more research and will hold my judgement until that time.

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2,679 of 5,962
I have a cable being made now by a kind member here, I'll check out this cable theory soon.

Another observation:  These headphones friggin stink.  Like chemicals.  I hope it goes away.

Edit: I also wonder if the bass is due to using a receiver to power the headphones and a impedance mismatch.  I think I see a headphone amp in my future after more research and will hold my judgement until that time.

Chemicals go away quickly and a receiver headphone out may very well affect your bass.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #2,680 of 5,962
Chemicals go away quickly and a receiver headphone out may very well affect your bass.

Only thing I'm not sure of is how I will wire everything together if I get a headphone amp to use it with my 360 and soon to be Xbox One while still retaining the ability to use my real stereo.  I will have to figure out how to convert the digital signal from the console so the headphone amp can use said signal while also still feeding the same signal to my AVR.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #2,682 of 5,962
Good day everyone,

Just received mine yesterday, pairing it with ibasso DX100 on high gain while I am typing this thread :).
Also tried it out with my old Fiio E7 hooking up to my laptop last night, resulted with tighter punch plus a wider soundstage.
Because of X1, I've just ordered a Aune T1 tube DAC and will see how it goes once arrive.
Treble is adequate without any harsh peak. When comparing to my ATH AD2000, of course AD2000's treble is more refined with smoother details; however soundstage wise X1 is far better and probably is the best I've ever heard amongst lots others flagship.
Some have mentioned the mids is a bit recessive, I kinda agree when it was fleshly out of the box, but after 10 hours burn in, it's mids is now very engaging. But again, it depends on which cans you are comparing to, I wouldn't expect something as good as the LCD's :xf_eek:.
The bass of X1 is brilliant, punchy but not overwhelm, making it suitable for pop, rock, movies, gaming etc. (as long as you change the stock cable, meanwhile I'm using a 7 ft monster 3.5 to 3.5 which I got it from ebay)
Fidelity wise I wouldn't say X1 is capable to reproduce very refine details, unlike Senn or Beyer, but it is more than enough IMHO.
Sound leakage is pretty serious even though compares with other open cans, guess I cannot use it on the plane or in publics (unless you intentionally wanna to annoy the others or show off your X1 :wink:).
On the whole I'm really please this can :D, I believe X1 is the best buy among other open cans at it's price range.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #2,683 of 5,962
To anyone that's replaced the stock cable, does the cable have to be a slim fit type? Or will even a thicker type do? I'm looking at:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021818&p_id=9564&seq=1&format=2

or

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9766&seq=1&format=2

Which style would be best?

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #2,684 of 5,962
You don't need a slim fit.  I have the silver monoprice one you linked and it fits fine.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #2,685 of 5,962
Hi Meh,

Actually there's a step-up about 2mm height right next to the headphone cable jack due to the solid rim of the ear pad (at least this is the case on my X1
blink.gif
), so I guess you have to be careful when choosing the size of the 3.5 plug; however, according to other members, monoprice cable should be fine. Personally, I have tried both Monster cables (3.5 to 3.5) and Oyaide 3.5 without any problem. Hope this helps, enjoy the music. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back