[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2,656 of 5,962
The cables have all been around 0.2 ohms. But that really doesnt matter. Without any experimentation and data there is no more reason to assume that the 1 ohm is more to blame than the materials and and build quality.

I might just have to take it into my own hands so this rumor/hypothesis about resistance can finally disappear.

Even if you proved its fallacy empirically beyond all shadow of a doubt, complete with reams of data and fancy charts, two posts later we'd have "so I need lower ohm cable" :D

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2,657 of 5,962
Even if you proved its fallacy empirically beyond all shadow of a doubt, complete with reams of data and fancy charts, two posts later we'd have "so I need lower ohm cable"
biggrin.gif

^^ I know. *le sigh*. But I'm probably still going to do it anyway. I'll end up sending it to some people to try and then giving it away. I'll get personal satisfaction of knowing the answer and someone will end up with a free cable. win/win

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2,658 of 5,962
Without any experimentation and data there is no more reason to assume that the 1 ohm is more to blame than the materials and and build quality.

I might just have to take it into my own hands so this rumor/hypothesis about resistance can finally disappear.

Personally, I'm on your side.  I highly doubt 1 ohm of difference is audible.  I certainly couldn't tell the difference between two amps with 1 ohm of difference in their output impedance.  If that's the same thing were talking about with the cable (audible difference between 1 ohm of damping factor) I'd say it should be completely inaudible.  Does it matter more at the cable level or something?  I'd be more inclined to believe that any audible difference between the stock cable and third party ones is being caused by something else, and that the 1.8 ohm resistance is the scapegoat.

Tyll also said this: "The second problem is that the signal shares a common return through the ground of the cable, and the relatively high resistance of the cable will cause a voltage to develop on the ground channel that will produce some crosstalk between channels."

Any idea what that means?

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2,659 of 5,962
It's just easier sleeping knowing you don't have to worry about input impedance and/or output impedance.

Just plug 'em in and sit back to enjoy the music.

I do like the X1 by the way...............with my V-Moda cable.  What's its' impedance?  Do. Not. Care.  Sounds great. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,660 of 5,962

Personally, I'm on your side.  I highly doubt 1 ohm of difference is audible.  I certainly couldn't tell the difference between two amps with 1 ohm of difference in their output impedance.  If that's the same thing were talking about with the cable (audible difference between 1 ohm of damping factor) I'd say it should be completely inaudible.  Does it matter more at the cable level or something?  I'd be more inclined to believe that any audible difference between the stock cable and third party ones is being caused by something else, and that the 1.8 ohm resistance is the scapegoat.

Tyll also said this: "The second problem is that the signal shares a common return through the ground of the cable, and the relatively high resistance of the cable will cause a voltage to develop on the ground channel that will produce some crosstalk between channels."

Any idea what that means?

Tyll's first line says it all, he's skeptical. In his short paragraph were he mentions the weird perpetuation of the resistance rumor, he never does get around to mentioning what he thinks aside from the fact that you should change the cable. As you quoted him, he mentions possible effects of having resistance in series and what that could possibly do. He uses the word "relatively high" because it is actually a low number, but compared to other similar cables just happens to be higher than average. In the end, he didn't want to touch that debate with a 10-foot poll. His answer was simply to switch the stock cable. 

It's just easier sleeping knowing you don't have to worry about input impedance and/or output impedance.

Just plug 'em in and sit back to enjoy the music.

I do like the X1 by the way...............with my V-Moda cable.  What's its' impedance?  Do. Not. Care.  Sounds great. 

That's the way it should be. Enjoy. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2,661 of 5,962
The cables have all been around 0.2 ohms. But that really doesnt matter. Without any experimentation and data there is no more reason to assume that the 1 ohm is more to blame than the materials and and build quality.

Kamakaha, count me as super interested.  I for one swear I hear a subtle difference between the X1 stock cable vs. the various replacements that I tried.  Between the various replacement cables, not so much.  

What sort of test were you thinking of?  Comparing the damping factor of the X1s with various resistance cables?

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #2,662 of 5,962

Kamakaha, count me as super interested.  I for one swear I hear a subtle difference between the X1 stock cable vs. the various replacements that I tried.  Between the various replacement cables, not so much.  

What sort of test were you thinking of?  Comparing the damping factor of the X1s with various resistance cables?

Yup. Building 3 cables using the exact same materials but adding resistance in series. One would be my normal average of about 0.2 ohms, another as close as I could get it to 1.8 ohms to match the stock cable, and then something like a 3ohm cable. Then compare those against the stock cable and a V-moda cable just for comparison. I'd probably send them to someone and label them A-C so they wouldn't know which is which. Obviously the stock cable and V-moda cable would stand out, but the others only I would know. 

It's more of an idea for fun though. I could honestly careless which is better because I won't be using any of them. What did matter was the fact that somehow a simple observation about resistance became some set-in-stone fact. 

Anyway. Enough cable chatter. I'm actually curious to see someone mod the X1 with different pads. I noticed the suggestion of possibly adding the Alpha Pads. Now that would be crazy to see/hear. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2,663 of 5,962
I think I will be making my purchase of these tomorrow.  Anything I should know?

Is the problem with one ear going out a widespread issue?  It seems like I remember somebody in this thread going through three pairs of X1's in a short amount of time which leads me more to believe it was something he was doing and not the headphones themselves.

How much would you charge for a 10 foot cable Kamakahah?  3.5 termination on one end and 6.3 on the other.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #2,664 of 5,962
  Good idea.

Another options is to buy a bag of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Large-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-Earmuff-style/dp/B009CDXPCG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

You have to cut a whole in the middle otherwise it's sealed up and your ears can't go in. 

Here's a very hasty example of them on the X1.  You don't even notice that they're on when wearing it because they're so thin.

Comes in a bag of 100, so plenty of spares
biggrin.gif

I have a dog and would like to keep her hair out of the velour.  I'm thinking about ordering these along with the X1's tomorrow but what the frack am I going to do with 98 more covers?!

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #2,665 of 5,962
Lots of great cable making companies out there.

I just do it for practice and to try new stuff out on other people's money, not to make money. That and to split the cost of shipping if there is something I want from the place you want to order.

BTG-audio, PlusSound audio, Toxic Cables, DoubleHelix Cables, Artemis cables, Norse Audio, Qables, etc. There are a whole slew of great cable making companies with friendly guys that will make fantastic cables. I purchase from many of them regularly. Feel free to ask me about recommendations for them if you like in a PM though. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2,666 of 5,962

I have a dog and would like to keep her hair out of the velour.  I'm thinking about ordering these along with the X1's tomorrow but what the frack am I going to do with 98 more covers?!

Sell them to others on here in packs of 5 pairs. I'm sure there are others who would gladly take them off your hands. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #2,667 of 5,962

Yup. Building 3 cables using the exact same materials but adding resistance in series. One would be my normal average of about 0.2 ohms, another as close as I could get it to 1.8 ohms to match the stock cable, and then something like a 3ohm cable. Then compare those against the stock cable and a V-moda cable just for comparison. I'd probably send them to someone and label them A-C so they wouldn't know which is which. Obviously the stock cable and V-moda cable would stand out, but the others only I would know. 

It's more of an idea for fun though. I could honestly careless which is better because I won't be using any of them. What did matter was the fact that somehow a simple observation about resistance became some set-in-stone fact. 

Anyway. Enough cable chatter. I'm actually curious to see someone mod the X1 with different pads. I noticed the suggestion of possibly adding the Alpha Pads. Now that would be crazy to see/hear. 

Yeah i got around .2ohms  and the 1.8 with the stock cable. But in truth i didn't buy it for that lol. I wanted a shorter cable with less microphonics than the stock cable since i'm at my desk and pretty close to the amp. The excess cable and the microphonics of the stock cable was enough to bother me (even though its so pretty!). Maybe my ears aren't sensitive enough to notice the dampening and tighter bass but the change is VERY minute.

I actually have both sets of the mad dogs and the x1s but im not too keen on removing the x1 pads since they are glued lol. Very different cans and have their own strengths. I really like the x1 for rap,pop movies and gaming (OH THE SOUNDSTAGE) but the mad dogs provide great isolation and i really like it for rock music and vocals. More testing as the week goes on. Gonna put up the spare x1s set for trade though, the pads have held on pretty well and my curiosity of more mid fi cans are getting the better of me.     

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #2,669 of 5,962
Sell them to others on here in packs of 5 pairs. I'm sure there are others who would gladly take them off your hands. 

This. Or pay it forward and mail them. Would only cost a stamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back