[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,626 of 5,962
Wonder if Alpha pads would be right sized for that?  Hmmmm...................

Thanks for the work you've done opening this up.

The diameter of the driver housing is 100 mm, same as Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 and slightly smaller than Denon D2000 which is 105 mm. The problem is that there is no lip to slip alternative ear pads onto the driver housing. The Alpha pads are possible because from what I can see at the shops, the Alpha angled pads have a large lip so it could be slipped over the whole housing, just like the Mad Dogs in fact.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #2,627 of 5,962
Loving this headphone so far, especially for trap mixes. I haven't noticed a very large leap in sound quality between my iphone 4s and headphone amp with these so I use both about equally. Now to find the right neutral headphone to complement these. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2,628 of 5,962
  Loving this headphone so far, especially for trap mixes. I haven't noticed a very large leap in sound quality between my iphone 4s and headphone amp with these so I use both about equally. Now to find the right neutral headphone to complement these. 
biggrin.gif

I'm looking into the 712 Pro as a more neutral compliment.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #2,629 of 5,962
thanks guys, I've done bit of reading and I think that the Magni/Modi is great combo for X1, considering the price too, but I've a question since I'm new to all of this. can I hook up the mixamp with the magni amp to get better sound off the Mixamp ?

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,630 of 5,962
  thanks guys, I've done bit of reading and I think that the Magni/Modi is great combo for X1, considering the price too, but I've a question since I'm new to all of this. can I hook up the mixamp with the magni amp to get better sound off the Mixamp ?

Many people double amp those units with favorable results for gaming.  I wouldn't do it for music.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2,631 of 5,962

Many people double amp those units with favorable results for gaming.  I wouldn't do it for music.

Naah I won't do it for the music, only Magni/Modi combo for music.

but the question is about the input/outputs, and how the setup should be for gaming/movies. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #2,632 of 5,962

Naah I won't do it for the music, only Magni/Modi combo for music.

but the question is about the input/outputs, and how the setup should be for gaming/movies. 

Are you on PC? Soundcard optical out (with Dolby Digital Live enabled) > optical to Mixamp > 3.5mm to RCA cable to Magni > headphone

Or console: Console optical out > optical to Mixamp > 3.5mm to RCA cable to Magni > headphone

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2,633 of 5,962

Are you on PC? Soundcard optical out (with Dolby Digital Live enabled) > optical to Mixamp > 3.5mm to RCA cable to Magni > headphone

Or console: Console optical out > optical to Mixamp > 3.5mm to RCA cable to Magni > headphone

I see, anyway around plugging/unplugging the RCA cable every time i want to switch from Mixamp to Modi and vice versa.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,634 of 5,962
I see, anyway around plugging/unplugging the RCA cable every time i want to switch from Mixamp to Modi and vice versa.

You'd need to look into an amp that has multiple inputs or you could use a multi-input unit to split signal, but it's not advisable since it will lower SQ

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #2,635 of 5,962

H6usBhY.jpg

The FiiO HS2 is your friend!
biggrin.gif

If I'm not mistaken you need to switch the source feeding your Magni with ease, without unplugging cables... You can use this $20 input/output switcher, then.
wink.gif

IN1 = Mixamp w/ 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable
IN2 = Modi w/ L/R RCA male to 3.5mm male cable
OUT1 = Magni w/ 3.5mm male to L/R RCA male cable

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,636 of 5,962

The FiiO HS2 is your friend!
biggrin.gif

If I'm not mistaken you need to switch the source feeding your Magni with ease, without unplugging cables... You can use this $20 input/output switcher, then.
wink.gif

IN1 = Mixamp w/ 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable
IN2 = Modi w/ L/R RCA male to 3.5mm male cable
OUT1 = Magni w/ 3.5mm male to L/R RCA male cable

The FiiO HS2 will work, or you can also use this TC-716 box:
http://www.amazon.com/TC-716-Stereo-Selector-BLACK-VERSION/dp/B0001F347K

The latter lets switch the source or output ON/OFF, so you can mix them anyway you like.  You can hook up any combination of 1 input to 5 outputs, or 5 inputs to 1 output, or just do 1 input to 1 output like a single interconnect.  I have all my sources (ODAC, Ear Force DSS, Mixamp) hooked up to it as well as both of my desktop amps, so I can choose what combination of gear to listen to.

Both devices are completely passive (no electronics inside) so they will not affect the sound and just function like a box with switchable interconnects inside.

I have both, and I think they're both great devices that every Head-fier should probably own.  Makes comparing headphones and gear way easier and you never have to unplug any interconnects between anything.  Also makes things nice and tidy.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,637 of 5,962
I think I like the TC-716 better, + the HS2 will take too long to arrive with weird way to order,

so my amazon cart is almost ready and my wallet is crying, since I'm not in the US, I need to be careful not to forget something. 

- 1 Magi
- 1 Modi
- 1 TC-716
- 2 RCA to RCA cables
- 1 USB 2.0 A to B cable

so:

1 - PC ---USB---> Modi ---RCA to RCA---> TC
2 - Mixamp ---3.5 to 3.5mm---> TC
3 - TC ---RCA to RCA---> Magni
4 - Magni ---6.3 to 3.5mm---> X1

now I'll be using my current Mediabridge 3.5 to 3.5mm for the mixamp -> TC since it's little short, and since the Magni output is 6.3mm I'll get new 6.3 to 3.5mm for Magni -> X1, but I couldn't find decent cable in amazon, all I can find is adapters, any ideas ?

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #2,638 of 5,962
I think I like the TC-716 better, + the HS2 will take too long to arrive with weird way to order,

so my amazon cart is almost ready and my wallet is crying, since I'm not in the US, I need to be careful not to forget something. 

- 1 Magi
- 1 Modi
- 1 TC-716
- 2 RCA to RCA cables
- 1 USB 2.0 A to B cable

so:

1 - PC [COLOR=DAA520]---USB--->[/COLOR] Modi [COLOR=DAA520]---RCA to RCA--->[/COLOR] TC
2 - Mixamp [COLOR=DAA520]---3.5 to 3.5mm--->[/COLOR] TC
3 - TC [COLOR=DAA520]---RCA to RCA--->[/COLOR] Magni
4 - Magni [COLOR=DAA520]---6.3 to 3.5mm--->[/COLOR] X1

now I'll be using my current Mediabridge 3.5 to 3.5mm for the mixamp -> TC since it's little short, and since the Magni output is 6.3mm I'll get new 6.3 to 3.5mm for Magni -> X1, but I couldn't find decent cable in amazon, all I can find is adapters, any ideas ?

Looks right. I couldn't find a good option for that cable either, I use a 3.5 to 3.5 with an adapter that stays in my amp. I'm sure someone knows of a cable though.

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #2,639 of 5,962
Ok here is a sock mod for these X1s if you peps want to maintain the stock pads in minty condition/ do not want to lint roll the velours/ or is just anal about keeping everything clean.

Materials: One pair of stretchy pantyhose or any type of really thin stretchy socks and a pair of scissors. Instructions: CUT ACCORDINGLY, WRAP OVER, DONE!!!

Got them hos from the $1 mexican stores.
tongue_smile.gif
Make sure them hos are semi-thick and stretchy cuz there are lots of different variants. Got like a couple of different styles for modding my S500s, monoprice DJ cans, etc to prevent sweaty ears. Works wonders.

Alls you need to do is keep the ankle parts of the sock cuz it's the most tight and stretchy and just cut off the ends/ toe sections to the length you desire. So in essence you are making a small tube outta the sock.

Then just wrap it over the stock pads and roll the cut off ends back to make it clean looking. Normally you would stuff the cut off end into the crevices inside the pads but you can't do it with these X1's cuz the pads/ driver are angled and the crevices are glued tight so there are no gaps to fully tuck it in.

BUT i am sure some clever folks will find a ingenious way to even wrap all the way inside the pads as well, maybe cutting a thin piece of cardboard strip and prop it along the inner sides of the pads to keep the sock from rolling back/ coming loose??? I dunno, haven't tired that yet, but i am sure there are lots of different ways to completely cover even the inside of the pads. Just throwing ideas out there that's all. Happy modding or pad cleaning!!!
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #2,640 of 5,962
Good idea.

Another options is to buy a bag of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Large-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-Earmuff-style/dp/B009CDXPCG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

You have to cut a whole in the middle otherwise it's sealed up and your ears can't go in. 

Here's a very hasty example of them on the X1.  You don't even notice that they're on when wearing it because they're so thin.

Comes in a bag of 100, so plenty of spares
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back