[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 3, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #2,237 of 5,962
Quote:
Yeah, the mediabridge cable is the brightest cable ive paired up to the X1 other than the Inakustik premium which was even brighter. That's why I like the chinese cable. Some warmth.

I just bought the mediabridge based on your review.  Probably wont notice any difference but i'm keen to try out to see how it opens up the midranges.

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #2,238 of 5,962
Quote:
yea the only weakness that stops me from buying the X1 right now is the not replaceable earpads, and second the velour is black so it shows a lot of lint and dirt so you have to clean it everyday with tape.

Quote:
Yeah that is a shame, such a blatant oversight. 

The earpad issue held me back when the X1s were initially $399 but at today's prices (btw $250 right now on Amazon which is the lowest I've seen), my thinking was I'd rather enjoy the X1s right now and by the time it's time to replace the earpads, (i) Philips or Funai or someone else would have come up with replacements or (ii) it'll be time to move on to the next latest and greatest headphones.  As far as I understand it, it's not that the pads can't be removed, they're lightly glued on and it's just that Philips and/or Funai isn't offering replacements thus far and no one has an alternative.

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #2,239 of 5,962
I just bought the mediabridge based on your review.  Probably wont notice any difference but i'm keen to try out to see how it opens up the midranges.

Everything is ultimately very subtle. I must be hearing things at least when it comes to comparing the decent cables. The MB is a good cable. Long, durable, and cheap. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

The only cable I'm dead positive on is the stock cable. That and the inakustik premium being brighter than the rest. All the ones in between sounded basically identical.

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,240 of 5,962
After spending a good amount of time with my new X1 and comparing it to the notes i wrote down of my older X1 i would say that these are 4-6dB less bassy. Definately not a bassheads headphone anymore but a very good allrounder. My old bassy pair had it's charme too which i still miss but in the end the new X1 is what i hoped for when i got my first pair.

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2,241 of 5,962
Interesting, does this means Philips made subtle changes to the X1 or production results vary? The last option would be very unlikely, since almost everyone is reviewing the X1 with the same results and conclusion: mid-bass heavy.

Do all new X1's sound like this? Do you have one which isn't 100% as it should be, while having better results? Who would tell...

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2,242 of 5,962
The earpad issue held me back when the X1s were initially $399 but at today's prices (btw $250 right now on Amazon which is the lowest I've seen), my thinking was I'd rather enjoy the X1s right now and by the time it's time to replace the earpads, (i) Philips or Funai or someone else would have come up with replacements or (ii) it'll be time to move on to the next latest and greatest headphones.  As far as I understand it, it's not that the pads can't be removed, they're lightly glued on and it's just that Philips and/or Funai isn't offering replacements thus far and no one has an alternative.

Yea even if they made the earpads replaceable, I still wouldn't buy the X1. It's because of the black velour. I really hate black whether it's velour or pleather, or real leather. Black is so easy to get dirty. I just don't get why all of these companies are still making black color. We are in 2013, make more color, like blue, red, orange, or something. Is black really that attractive to other ppl?

Like if you guys look closely at all of the headphone pictures that people posted for their review on here, they all have lint and hair sticking on the earpads.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #2,243 of 5,962
After spending a good amount of time with my new X1 and comparing it to the notes i wrote down of my older X1 i would say that these are 4-6dB less bassy. Definately not a bassheads headphone anymore but a very good allrounder. My old bassy pair had it's charme too which i still miss but in the end the new X1 is what i hoped for when i got my first pair.

I owned two of them that sounded identical. Mine aren't even a month old.

4-6db boost would make them a completely different headphone (like really). It just sounds like you got a wild variation, not some magical upgrade.

The X1 is quite a bassy headphone, even now, so unless the first ones you owned were some ridiculously bloated defective basshead cans, I'm sure you're either remembering it wrong, or your numbers are incorrect. Just saying. That big a difference isn't subtle. That's a bigger difference than say a DT880's bass and DT990's bass. two very different headphones.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #2,244 of 5,962
Any chance that burn in affects the amount of bass with them?

At any rate, I've just got my X1's, and they sound stupid good. Amazing bass, and it is amazing how with that much bass, it isn't a mid-bass bloated mess screwing up the mids. Maybe the mids aren't forward, but they don't sound recessed to me at all. The treble seems just about perfect - never sibilant or piercing, yet with pleasing detail and extension. They sound clear, full, balanced and have a lovely soundstage. Overall just a gorgeous sound 
size]

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #2,245 of 5,962
Bass will tighten up significantly, but still give you good presence! 

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #2,246 of 5,962
I don't believe in burn in whatsoever. The X1 has been used quite a lot, and it sounds just as i remember from the first day.

Expectation bias is a killer. Let your ears adjust.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #2,247 of 5,962
I've listened to many earphones and headphones, and I'm a TRUE believer in burn-in (and I know waynes world is too). There is no converting us to non-believers, so please don't kick of that tired debate. I have learned that those who don't believe won't believe  no matter what, and those of us who do believe, you won't be able to change our minds either. It is what it is. The X1 will get better with burn-in, waynes world (a believer). But while you are doing the burn-in, the bass sounds freakin' incredible on this track through the X1.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #2,248 of 5,962
From a mechanical standpoint of moving drivers, heat and cold expansion and compression, there could be minor changes overtime. It's funny that burn-in makes everything better but never worse. I don't agree with that expectation. I think changes can happen, but it's not always for the betterment of the SQ.

Problem is, since we gradually change everyday and events and variables can further exacerbated those variables, it's difficult to say that the changes aren't simply us or our mood.

That and A/Bing is already difficult. Recalling the details of sound from weeks or months ago from memory to compare with today is almost laughable.

While I have found burn-in to have occasional effect on some of my gear, I think many times it's effects are exaggerated.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #2,249 of 5,962
I'm all for believing in subtle (constantly fluctuating) differences. However, like you said, the notion that everything becomes better is what kills the burn in BS to me.

Bass becomes tighter is it starts off loose. Bass becomes more present if it starts off weak. Treble becomes clearer if it starts off veiled. Treble settles down if it starts off strong. Etc.

It adds when there's something missing. It takes away when there's too much. :rolleyes:

This is the kind of absolute rubbish that makes the audiophile's depiction of burn in such utter nonsense. The only real burn in happening is your ears and brain getting acclimated to the sound, which is why it's always a positive change. That and expectation bias. Expectation bias runs thick, and it DOES affect sound.

Long story short, enjoy your Fidelio X1. If it sounds better to you after 67487998373498 hours, then good for you. Please leave the burn in nonsense to fanatics and believers who want to so desperately believe in fiction.

I'm so done with that debate. Ugh.

Just enjoy your headphones.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2,250 of 5,962
Let us not start a burn in debate, please...

To answer Wayne's question:
The X1 improved for me over time. I can give three spits about what caused it... the outcome was sweet...
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back