[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 4, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #2,251 of 5,962
Quote:
4-6db boost would make them a completely different headphone (like really). It just sounds like you got a wild variation, not some magical upgrade.

6dB would be a mighty mighty varation, extremly unlikely that Philips has so low manufacturing standards. You have 2 pairs which aren't different so it's clear that Philips doesn't have problems with unit to unit variations and this is not what happened here.

Then there is another user on a german forum who very recently got the X1 as well and agrees with my impressions. He expected a basshead headphone but didn't get one.

You guys in the US probably have older batches anyway since they pack up a container full of X1 and ship them over which will take a good amount of time to arrive. Then sell out that batch and ship the next container. The X1 started selling earlier in the EU so it's more likely  that newest batches are sold here vs the US.

My first pair was definately a basshead headphone, this pair is a definately great allrounder. They are different headphones, like really different.

The new Box has a Hifi-Choice and reddot design Award 2013 sticker which my first X1 didn't have. The Serial Number is: PY1A1319008234

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #2,253 of 5,962
I highly doubt that, since they're on the verge of non-existence. But then again, there have been wild variations in other headphones like the DT770 600ohm. One bass light, and the other super bass heavy. Both in the same time span. So who knows what happened?

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #2,254 of 5,962
Verge of non existence? I may have to bite the bullet again... sooner rather than later. Im waiting on them to drop to about 225.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #2,256 of 5,962
I took the jump and ordered the X1's last week. I guess I'll like them a lot and if not, I'll just send them back to Amazon.
I ordered from Amazon.de so if Europe is really getting tweaked X1's I might get one too. However I won't be able to compare it to an older one since these will be my first X1's. I'm able to compare them to my HD595's.

I do hope they won't have that China-smell since I've read about that, someone on Amazon.de even told in his review the pads really stink. Anyone else experienced this with their X1's?

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #2,257 of 5,962
Quote:
In a few years those old bass-heavy X1 batches will be collectors items :wink:

Judging from the sudden price hike on Amazon... in a few years my Annies will be collector's items
tongue_smile.gif

I'll be getting the X1 again once the price drops to my liking, as I should have the extra funds by then. It will be nice to have a distinct can at home that compliments my Annies and MDs.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #2,258 of 5,962
Yes my pads had that disgusting chemical smell but it got alot better. It's no problem anymore. My first X1 only had a slight leathery smell from the headband and nothing from the pads.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2,259 of 5,962
Quote:
Yes my pads had that disgusting chemical smell but it got alot better. It's no problem anymore. My first X1 only had a slight leathery smell from the headband and nothing from the pads.

Well, I can vouch that the Amazon US batches have that smell. So if there are different ones as you claim, then these are the newest ones. You did say you had one of the earliest ones before they even arrived in the US, correct? I bought an X1 recently and the smell was still in the pads when I returned them right before the deadline... about 4 weeks after purchase.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #2,260 of 5,962
People need to be careful on not going off any assumptions of tweaks or anything. This is how false rumors spread.

Also when i meant non-existence, I meant that due to the fact Philips will no longer have this business soonish, and Funai is taking over. Who knows what Funai is going to do, if they even do anything with the headphone part of the business.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #2,262 of 5,962
I'm just basing my response off what was said... which is why I specifically used the words "as you claim"

I'm not necessarily agreeing to it...

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #2,263 of 5,962
Change, I'm confused. Was that a repsonse to me? Lol. I was replying to Chris, who said

I ordered from Amazon.de so if Europe is really getting tweaked X1's I might get one too.

No one should come close to such an assumption just based off what one person is saying.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #2,264 of 5,962
Quote:
People need to be careful on not going off any assumptions of tweaks or anything. This is how false rumors spread.

Also when i meant non-existence, I meant that due to the fact Philips will no longer have this business soon, and Funai is taking over. Who knows what funai is going to do, if they even do anything with the headphone part of the business.

Did you miss this?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649085/with-funai-philips-headphones-and-other-audio-products-will-continue

False rumors? These differences are very real...
rolleyes.gif
 Maybe you don't like the fact but ignoring it or trying to downplay ("magical upgrade" 
rolleyes.gif
) won't help anyone either.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #2,265 of 5,962
The differences are very real? I never said they weren't.

What I WAS saying was that there is NO proof that it wasn't just a gross variation of the drivers (which can and does happen in the headphone world). But here you are starting off rumors of a 'TWEAK'.

Again, people shouldn't start spreading rumors of a tweak, when it could have easily been driver variation. Unless Philips/Funai states to themselves that there was a tweak somewhere, it's all hearsay.

People may start some Fidelio X1 v.2 nonsense, based off this. Pretty soon, people would probably start saying they got a fixed X1, etc. All based on one person's claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back