[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,291 of 5,962
with the neutrik nys 231L (on the link) it's 21,16$ plus 17,21 for shipping :s. total 38,37$ for 3m length 

What I did was to get from V Moda. Two cables with mic, one without, totaling USD52 with free shipping. No harm having spare cables for other headphones eg beyerdynamic COP.

May 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #1,292 of 5,962
What I did was to get from V Moda. Two cables with mic, one without, totaling USD52 with free shipping. No harm having spare cables for other headphones eg beyerdynamic COP.

Does their cable without a mic have a 4 pole connector as well? It does in the pics on their website, and when I use the 1 button mic cable with certain amps the sound is messed up.

Thanks
-Erik

May 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,293 of 5,962
Does their cable without a mic have a 4 pole connector as well? It does in the pics on their website, and when I use the 1 button mic cable with certain amps the sound is messed up.

Thanks
-Erik

Hi Erik,

The cable without mic is only a 3 pole i.e. the typical stereo 3.5mm jack. It may be karma but right now I'm listening to Dr.Feelgood on my X1 via a cMoyBB (dual batt). And my 4 pole with 3-button remote works fine on my iPhone 5 for the X1, the COP, and the Goldring DR150. I don't know about Android though.

Tyll on Innerfidelity also talks about these cables in his review of the X1.

May 17, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,294 of 5,962
Hi Erik,

The cable without mic is only a 3 pole i.e. the typical stereo 3.5mm jack. It may be karma but right now I'm listening to Dr.Feelgood on my X1 via a cMoyBB (dual batt). And my 4 pole with 3-button remote works fine on my iPhone 5 for the X1, the COP, and the Goldring DR150. I don't know about Android though.

Tyll on Innerfidelity also talks about these cables in his review of the X1.

Awesome, thanks.

May 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,295 of 5,962
Quote:
I've measured the resistance of some cables.

Resistance (Ohms)
V-moda LP2 straight cable 1,3
Philips X1 cable 1,7
Oehlbach i-connect (1,5meter) 0,5
Inakustik Star MP3 (1,5meter) 0,2
Inakustik Premium MP3 (1,5meter) 0,2

I've had no time to do a sound test.

All these cables fit in the Philips X1.

The Inakustik Star MP3 cable fits the V-Moda LP2.

Fantastic job!  When you do have time, please, inform us of your impressions about the sound quality of these cables.

Thank you very much.

May 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,296 of 5,962
Just received these today new, from a fellow head-fier. Really liking them straight out of the box. I'm coming from some Q701's that i actually really liked just for some reference.

The X1's are much more engaging so far. As is well known, they are certainly more bassy, but i'm not sure i'd call them a basshead can. The Q701's are definatly more laid back headphones, and while i didn't feel their bass was lacking, it certainly isn't very full. The X1's remedy that, as they sound much more powerful. Very nice low extension on them without being overpowering. I tend to listen to mostly EDM style music so bass isn't something i really need enhanced, it just needs to come out to its full potential of the recording. I think with a wee bit of burn in the bass will mellow a tiny bit and these will sound fab. 

Being open they leak, but with a fuller sound i can have a lower volume. As for the headband i don't mind it. I can see if you had a large head they might be a bit of a problem. That being said, the inner headband is just elastic and could be easily cut (which has been mentioned). Not something i'd really want to do to new headphones, but...Build quality is excellent. Remind's me quite a bit of the 701's, just bigger. Cable is ok. Looks sturdy enough, just not super pretty. Reading a lot about replacing the cable but i until i get sufficient burn in time i'll reserve judgement.

All in all, very happy with the purchase. For the price you European's can get this at i can't see a reason why you wouldn't buy these. I guess Philips is kind of an oddball to buy nice headphones from but with these i think that has changed. Too bad they kind of fudged the North American release. If you can pick these up for a decent price, do it. I'm glad i did.

May 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #1,297 of 5,962
Just got my X1. Here is my initial impression. No surprise when I first listened to them. It seems that the my old HD598 have better clarity than them. But the bass on X1 is very good though. I must say it indeed gives me a feeling sitting in a real concert hall.

I guess it might need running in. 
k701smile.gif

May 22, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,298 of 5,962
That's because the HD598 is mid rich, and most music is in the mids. The X1 is tipped upwards in the bass and treble, so mids are pushed back for most of the spectrum.

May 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,300 of 5,962
thanks for your reply. Is that the reason HD598 sounds clearer than the X1? Would the clarity of X1 improve after burn-in or changing its cable?

Burn in helps and so does changing the cable to a lower resistance.The change is small. However its has a warm bass tilt so allow yourself some time to adapt to its sound signature. These are 2 different sounding headphones.

May 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,302 of 5,962
The only burn in I believe and have experienced is brain burn in. I've heard countless headphones, and the burn in nonsense needs to stop. Your own brain and ears are a much bigger factor than the microscopic amount of changes in a driver, which would always be ever changing. I'm not gonna get into that again.

May 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,303 of 5,962
The only burn in I believe and have experienced is brain burn in. I've heard countless headphones, and the burn in nonsense needs to stop. Your own brain and ears are a much bigger factor than the microscopic amount of changes in a driver, which would always be ever changing. I'm not gonna get into that again.
Agreed. The cable does make a change though (small) That was what I was trying to say. Give time to get used to the sound signature. Thanks for pointing that out more clearly.

May 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,304 of 5,962
Yep the cable changes the sound a very little bit for me too. Don't have any expensive cables tough a very cheap 2$ cable seems to make the sound a lil flatter as if it is constricting the sound. Funny thing is that with an amp it sounds a little less nice but straight out of my fiio e10 the 2$ cable seems to make it a bit better. But it's very slightly and I use whichever I have laying closest to me. 

I still don't know if it would be worth getting 50$ silver cables, my feeling says no but I guess I have to try it sometimes.

And I really agree with brain burn in. It's a huge factor! I am playing around with eq and everytime I seem to have found a nice setting I save it. When I change it to something else it suddenly sounds strange but after a few hours you're allready adapted.

May 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,305 of 5,962
The cable changes very much the sound of the X1, the series cable is terrible, the weakest point of the headset.
With a decent cable like Mogami headphone greatly improves (becomes really fantastic for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back