[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,307 of 5,962
The bass become much more defined and precise so that even the mids benefit of that, treble are always crystal clear but never fatiguing.
It 's the second time you do this question to me, do you think it is too much spending 30/40 euro for a decent cable for a headset like the X1?
You can self-produce it with two connectors neutrik.
A cable V-moda already improves the performance, but we are talking about a mid-level cable anyway.
The reality is that the standard is wrong, sounds bad and it's a shame.
I hope now is clear.

May 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,308 of 5,962
Yes thank you.

It's true I find it hard to justify spending that amount on a mere cable. Meh i'll diy one sometimes just to be sure and to hear the difference myself. I really hope it makes a difference. :wink:

May 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,309 of 5,962
Someone should measure monoprice's 3.5mm cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9765&seq=1&format=2#description

May 23, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #1,310 of 5,962
Quote:
Yes thank you.

It's true I find it hard to justify spending that amount on a mere cable. Meh i'll diy one sometimes just to be sure and to hear the difference myself. I really hope it makes a difference. :wink:

Well, it provides a nice lift. It does not transform them! The bass tightens up and that means there is less warmth into the midrange. This of course only relevant if your amp has a low headphone out resistance. I reused a Sony Cable I have which had half the resistance of the original. I think the V-Moda cable is enough for testing the difference.

May 23, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #1,311 of 5,962
Its a weird choice for Philips to include a cable with a quite high DC resistance, but the AC impedance would be much more interesting...
Nevertheless a €50,- cable will almost always sound better since it has to -- it costs €50,- after all :wink:

May 23, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #1,312 of 5,962
Quote:
Its a weird choice for Philips to include a cable with a quite high DC resistance, but the AC impedance would be much more interesting...
Nevertheless a €50,- cable will almost always sound better since it has to -- it costs €50,- after all :wink:

Indeed, logically the more you spend the better it gets right? :) I would also be interested in the reason Philips decide upon that cable. Perhaps they felt the looser bass will appeal more to people.However I think people are making to big thing about it.
It does not drastically change the soundsignature.

May 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,313 of 5,962
gs1000.gif

May 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #1,314 of 5,962
Yeah, I agree with your opinion about X1 vs 598. X1 is definitely warmer than 598, and it has more details and bass as well. But I am still trying to get used to the sound signature of the X1 as I have got used to the more forward-mid HD598. And I still think HD598 sounds more clearer, if you know what I mean.  

May 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #1,316 of 5,962
So i'm thinking of making my own cable for the X1. Problem is that the 3.5mm jack that goes into the earpiece has a very narrow barrel. All the parts i've found online are way too wide. It looks like Oyaide makes a new 3.5mm connector thats narrow but i cannot find a retailer for it. Anyone have any ideas on where i can find something that would fit?

May 27, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #1,319 of 5,962
Quote:
Hi, Ive just ordered the X1 (Im super excited!)

Do they require burn-in? Have u noticed any difference before/after?

Not really, they're pretty much good to go once you get them. 

I'm still waiting for my new cables to arrive, but from what I've read in this thread so far, the biggest improvement seem to come from changing the stock cable. Not burn in, not an expensive amp / dac, although some of these can lead to subtle differences.

Take Care.  

May 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,320 of 5,962
Quote:
Not really, they're pretty much good to go once you get them. 

I'm still waiting for my new cables to arrive, but from what I've read in this thread so far, the biggest improvement seem to come from changing the stock cable. Not burn in, not an expensive amp / dac, although some of these can lead to subtle differences.

Take Care.  

Is there a problem with the stock cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back