[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,263 of 5,962
Still not convinced. I had to wear the Beyers fully extended, as well as the K702/Q701. The Annie was a bit different, since the lack of bumps allowed just a enough headroom for it not to pull down like the others.

I'm sure I'll get someone to loan them to me at some point. :wink:

I bent the upper headband and though it fits better the cups had a tendency to be pulled upwards thereby making them still not as comfortable as I would like. I then took the lower headband, exposed the elastic cloth retainer on both ends and cut them off. Surprisingly the lower headband doesn't come off unless you purposely pull the plastic tabs out. So now, the X1 fits my large head perfectly with the lower cloth headband magically and surprisingly staying below the leather/metal top headband but not exerting any pulling up force on the earcups. Bliss.

May 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,266 of 5,962
Can you take a picture of what you mean?

And this is how it looks like at maximum size and also with the upper band made more cone like. For me this is the size I wear so should your head be slightly smaller I think you should do the cone bit last. You might not need to.

May 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,267 of 5,962
So you're letting the lower soft headband pad just sit on your head or are you holding it with something?

May 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #1,268 of 5,962
So you're letting the lower soft headband pad just sit on your head or are you holding it with something?

I thought I'd have to but either it's my head size or shape or it's the material used by Philips but I don't have to glue or tie the two headbands together. It's funny but before these mods the two headbands would move independently. Now after the mods they seem to move in tandem.

May 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,269 of 5,962
I see, but like I STILL don't understand what you're using to keepo the lower band in place if you snipped something off.

I mean, I would probably go for the X1 (if the KS-H1 doesn't work out), if I can do what you did. Just need to understand it.

You mentioned snipping it off, but what now holds the headband to the headphone? Is it another piece, or something you added? Sorry I ask probably some stupid questions. I don't have the X1, so I don't exactly know what is what.

May 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,270 of 5,962
I see, but like I STILL don't understand what you're using to keepo the lower band in place if you snipped something off.

I mean, I would probably go for the X1 (if the KS-H1 doesn't work out), if I can do what you did. Just need to understand it.

You mentioned snipping it off, but what now holds the headband to the headphone? Is it another piece, or something you added? Sorry I ask probably some stupid questions. I don't have the X1, so I don't exactly know what is what.

The lower headband is like those shoulder bag pads (the part that rests on your shoulder) portion that slides along the shoulder strap itself. So in the case of the headband the straps are joined at both ends to the left and right earcups but they are joined in the centre by elastic bands. When you snip off those elastic bands the lower headband doesn't fall off because the plastic part that's joined to the earpads are long enough to remain inside the headband.

If you look at my first photo, note that I have to purposely hold the lower headband and let you see the plastic tongue where I snipped off the elastic. After taking the photo, I just reinsert the plastic tongue (on the right) back into the lower headband (on the left). Done on both sides and the lower headband doesn't come off the plastic tongues as you can see in photo no. 2 as the tongues are long enough to insert into the headband. The difference is that originally the tongues were joined via elastic which the lower headband slides over. By removing the elastic, the tongues still stay in as they are still long enough. (No innuendoes intended!) :D

May 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,271 of 5,962
AHA! Okay, got it now.

Looks like a legit method. I'm just worried about Philips honoring warranty after this, in case the drivers mess up or something.

If for some reason I end up hating the Kingsound stat, I'll order the X1 immediately.

May 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #1,273 of 5,962
AHA! Okay, got it now.

Looks like a legit method. I'm just worried about Philips honoring warranty after this, in case the drivers mess up or something.

If for some reason I end up hating the Kingsound stat, I'll order the X1 immediately.

I doubt Philips will be bothered. You can just claim the elastic broke. Your main worry would be selling it to someone with a much smaller head. :wink:

May 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,274 of 5,962
A few days ago the elastic band got broken; I purchased my Fidelio X1 about 2 months ago from an Amazon seller, the cans are covered by 2 years warranty, so I thought that I would easily get them repaired or replaced. Today I crossed the city to visit a Philips authorized center where they told me that the manufacturer doesn't cover physical damages such as that one.

I'm wondering how it can be that a sane product that costs hundreds gets broken in less than 2 months, I mean it's an elastic band, it should last for years...  So, be aware that same could happen to you. By the way, after inspection the elastic band looks thin, probably too much thin and that is the reason for the early failure. 

Anybody had similar experience?

May 13, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,275 of 5,962
Quote:
A few days ago the elastic band got broken; I purchased my Fidelio X1 about 2 months ago from an Amazon seller, the cans are covered by 2 years warranty, so I thought that I would easily get them repaired or replaced. Today I crossed the city to visit a Philips authorized center where they told me that the manufacturer doesn't cover physical damages such as that one.

Well, they should cover it. Most headphone manufacturers do. 

Have you emailed them directly? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back