[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Mar 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #976 of 5,962

Here's mine ^^
Been using them with my AudioEngine D1, quite happy with it, but I wonder if there's a better amp to pair these with.

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #977 of 5,962
Something with a lower output impedance (<1 ohm vs the D1's 10 or whatever) might possibly tighten up the bass... Price range? You could pair something equally small and budget friendly like the Magni/O2 with the D1 (keeping it as your DAC and using the RCA output), but it might not necessarily be the jump in sound quality you're looking for.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #979 of 5,962
Good news, X1 are on Amazon (have been since March 1). Not available yet, but it's a positive sign Philips is doing something.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #980 of 5,962
Weird, they don't show up when you search for Philips X1 or Fidelio X1, guess it's not indexed until available. How'd you happen upon them?

Hopefully they come out by April, I'd love to get both them and the Mad Dogs to compare...

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #983 of 5,962
Doesn't work here, just comes up with the L1/M1, I really hate Amazon's search...

fjUNm52.png

:wink:

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #986 of 5,962
Very interested in buying this headphone. I'm a bit concerned at it being described as "dark" though. I've had the HD558 and hated it because of the veil. Completely sucked out all the energy. Currently using a beyer DT770, and while I enjoy it, the clamp and comfort issues are giving me problems. Also it seems to be "entry" audiophile headphones so I'm wondering what an open backed upgrade would actually give me. Problem is I've tried quite a few headphones but I still don't get what "audiophile" is. As far as I can tell they just have different "signatures". 

Does anybody own the Dt770. Can you compare them? I know one is open and other is closed, I'd still like to know what the improvement would be if any. 

Main thing I'm looking for is comfort > Natural sound (although the beyers don't sound too closed) > Similar bass impact/response (I don't consider the beyers as "monsters" > wide soundstage (beyers are fantastic in this regard)

Main use is for gaming but will use for music as well.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #988 of 5,962
Quote:
Very interested in buying this headphone. I'm a bit concerned at it being described as "dark" though. I've had the HD558 and hated it because of the veil. Completely sucked out all the energy. Currently using a beyer DT770, and while I enjoy it, the clamp and comfort issues are giving me problems. Also it seems to be "entry" audiophile headphones so I'm wondering what an open backed upgrade would actually give me. Problem is I've tried quite a few headphones but I still don't get what "audiophile" is. As far as I can tell they just have different "signatures". 

Does anybody own the Dt770. Can you compare them? I know one is open and other is closed, I'd still like to know what the improvement would be if any. 

Main thing I'm looking for is comfort > Natural sound (although the beyers don't sound too closed) > Similar bass impact/response (I don't consider the beyers as "monsters" > wide soundstage (beyers are fantastic in this regard)

Main use is for gaming but will use for music as well.

I have both the DT770 Pros and the X1s, since I have bought the X1s I have only used the DT770s when someone else is in the same room and require closed headphones.

The X1s are the most comfortable headphones I have worn, great clamping force for me and the earpads are amazing.  I have used them for for hours at a time to watch films and gaming and not once has comfort been an issue.  I still think the DT770 has more bass impact and I still enjoy using them, but the X1s have such a natural sound and I notice a lot more detail.  I will say if you mainly play COD and Battlefield 3 etc, I think the DT770s shine.  The X1s is best for games with more varied soundtracks (music, dialogue etc)    

If you are buying in the UK, keep an eye out for Philips.co.uk discount codes.  I bought my pair for £170 while using 2 discount codes on the same order.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #989 of 5,962
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yeah my main use is for non-competitive gameplay so I'm looking for something that's more enjoyable rather than absolutely accurate and detailed. £170 is quite a lot, especially after two codes. I remember once there were codes that would bring it down to £125.

Also there is bad news. Amazon.it have stopped selling the x1, which they used to sell for around £150 
triportsad.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #990 of 5,962
Anyone using an aftermarket cable with their x1? Or does anyone know what would be a good choice? I'm still searching for one and I know that cheap cables can be good too. My 2$ cable is better then the stock, 

I've looked at the v-moda cable, that should be an option. Does anyone know any good quality 'beats' cables? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back