[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Mar 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #991 of 5,962
Quote:
Anyone using an aftermarket cable with their x1? Or does anyone know what would be a good choice? I'm still searching for one and I know that cheap cables can be good too. My 2$ cable is better then the stock, 

I've looked at the v-moda cable, that should be an option. Does anyone know any good quality 'beats' cables? 

I posted some experience with different cables on the X1 page 59/60 on this thread.  The toxic cable special  I had made although expensive is by far the best and provides a great match for the X1's sound spectrum and is a significant improvement over the stock cable.

Word of warning you need a flexible cable for the X1's otherwise you get problems with the socket on the X1's.  I am now on my 3rd pair of X1's since September with the 1st 2 returned for refunds as they had the same connection problem on the socket which I believe you also have experienced.

Silver plated high purity copper is my recommendation for what its worth!!!

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #992 of 5,962
Quote:
although expensive

That's quite a problem for me you see. I just want to bring the mids out a bit/open it up or whatever, I don't even know exactly. I'm not interested in microdetail. I just want to enjoy the music.
The cheap cable makes a difference too so I really don't want to spend alot of money on a cable.

3rd pair already? Damn, yea my first pair also failed on me and i'm very carefull but i'm pretty sure that it's going to happen again. If it will i'm just going to hardwire some nice cables to the x1's, maybe even balanced so I can connect them to a speaker amp.

btw, do you have a multimeter? If so would you like to measure the resistance of the cable for me?

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #993 of 5,962
Quote:

btw, do you have a multimeter? If so would you like to measure the resistance of the cable for me?

The Toxic cable measures 0.4 ohm supply and the same for common  return.  this is for a 1.6 m length . I don't have the stock cable nearby at the moment but i know it was  higher than that.  I think the stock cables capacitance in the audio frequency range gives rise to some of its effect on the X1's.  Hope this helps1

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #995 of 5,962
Quote:
Stock was 2 Ohms here. Very high.

I really need to win the lottery so I can test what really matters or not. :p

Dumb quetion. How do you mesure those ohms???

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #996 of 5,962
I have a multimeter, I put it on the 200 Ohm setting and just press the probes to either side of the cable, then I substract the resistance of the probes itself. This gave me 2 Ohms for the x1's cable. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #997 of 5,962
Quote:
I have a multimeter, I put it on the 200 Ohm setting and just press the probes to either side of the cable, then I substract the resistance of the probes itself. This gave me 2 Ohms for the x1's cable. 

Sorry Holycheese forgot to subtract probe resistance in my measurements so thats 0.2 ohms for the Toxic cable.  Thats about a 10th of the Stock!!!

I know on Ebay in the UK  Toxic cable sell their conductors so you can make your own cable if you are handy with a soldering iron and can plait a litz weave !!!!
L3000.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #998 of 5,962
My friend thought it was ridiculous that I bought $400 headphones. I finally made him listen to them... He was blown away! His face was blushing from smiling and he kept saying they were great and intense! He is now ordering a pair of the Superlux EVO that just came out.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #1,000 of 5,962
Mar 11, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #1,001 of 5,962
Headphonia putted all nicely together and I suspect that midbass is an issue up here to, for better balance I mean, but other than that, they do perform great, again, according the reviewer. I read that some preffer X1 to Q701 and HD650, so, thats interesting. Also they may need a better cable and amp to sound at their best.

THX

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #1,002 of 5,962
Quote:
Headphonia putted all nicely together and I suspect that midbass is an issue up here to, for better balance I mean, but other than that, they do perform great, again, according the reviewer. I read that some preffer X1 to Q701 and HD650, so, thats interesting. Also they may need a better cable and amp to sound at their best.

THX

That description seems about right to me. However, I don't have the urge to get a new cable or a better amp for them. They sound great as is.  I think a cheap VModa cable is all that it needs, if that, IMO. I really don't want to start up another cable discussion however. It's well established in this thread that opinions on cables differ here.

In short, I'm a sucker for open headphones that aren't anemic in the bass and that sound good. That to me is what the X1 is all about.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,004 of 5,962
Is THIS for real???
eek.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,005 of 5,962
HAS to be an extra zero by mistake. Dzone does have some high prices at times but nothing this outrageous.  And it's not a cryo edition so must be bad listing
wink_face.gif
.. Though someone could email them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back