[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #857 of 5,962
I prefer the sound of the X1 but when I owned the HD650, I might not have had the proper gear to scale them to the level it deserved.  As for the X1, it is very easy to drive.  

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #860 of 5,962

I just got a pair of well burned in X1s in exchange of some Amperiors I didn't like all that much. So far  I am liking what I hear,   but I find the mids a tad recessed for my liking and would like to get a little bit more micro-detail if possible. I am thinking of upgrading the cable to either solid OCC copper or solid Silver (non OCC), materials for cables offered by a Spanish maker  that are within my budget.  For which of the materials do you think I should go? If any.  Thx and sorry for my English. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #863 of 5,962
Not feeling that spike at 9khz. I was hoping it'd be a smoother alternative to the DT990...

More sub bass which is awesome, and less mid bass bloat, but that treble... looks like a harsh/sibilant prone headphone.

Still, that linearity after the sub bass seems VERY desirable. Looks like an EQ to lower 9khz by a few decibles will make the X1 quite a potent headphone.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #865 of 5,962
Quote:
Ok, now I wish I hadn't quit French after three years...
tongue.gif
The treble spike's something I wasn't expecting based off the subjective reviews out there, hmm...

I doubt its that bad.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #866 of 5,962
Quote:
Not feeling that spike at 9khz. I was hoping it'd be a smoother alternative to the DT990...

More sub bass which is awesome, and less mid bass bloat, but that treble... looks like a harsh/sibilant prone headphone.

Still, that linearity after the sub bass seems VERY desirable. Looks like an EQ to lower 9khz by a few decibles will make the X1 quite a potent headphone.

Graphs and real life listening experience are two different domains in my experience. You need other types of measurements also.
I have listened to headphones that by the graph should be bass heavy/light or harsher in the treble that in reality where neither.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #867 of 5,962
Oh, I know, but it gives a general idea as to what to expect. The DT990 graph is definitely on par with what to expect with it's sound (I've owned....many 990s... like 7.) The X1 graph indicates some good sub bass, followed by linear response up to it's treble, which indicates a lot of sparkle at 9khz.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #868 of 5,962
I was hoping for something more similar to my M-80, but with a larger sound stage, or something close to the HE-400 I guess (ergonomics there are a tough sell for me tho). We'll see I guess... They need to release them in the US already, gah.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #870 of 5,962
Quote:

I just got a pair of well burned in X1s in exchange of some Amperiors I didn't like all that much. So far  I am liking what I hear,   but I find the mids a tad recessed for my liking and would like to get a little bit more micro-detail if possible. I am thinking of upgrading the cable to either solid OCC copper or solid Silver (non OCC), materials for cables offered by a Spanish maker  that are within my budget.  For which of the materials do you think I should go? If any.  Thx and sorry for my English. 

I have tried them with Five 9's OCC copper , Four 9's solid silver and currently my favourite is Seven 9's OCC silver plated cryo treated.  There is not so much difference between the solid silver and the high purity copper silver plated but the copper multistrand is a much more flexible cable which suits better the rather flimsy 3.5mm jack socket as it has  less strain on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back