[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #826 of 5,962
Quote:
No way a couple inches more or less makes a noticeable difference. If anything it'd be cable thickness/shielding/etc.
While XLR and other locking connectors are clearly more secure, I don't think there's anything wrong with using the standard jack they used nor should it be an early point of failure unless you're being rough with it or the contacts were just soft from the start (in which case I'd consider it defective).

If the jacks were so weak they'd be failing left and right on portable players themselves where you tend to plug and unplug more often... There's other headphones that use the same jack and I haven't seen widespread failures with them either, like my M-80. It's particularly nice to have on portables.

Its a good point regarding many portable players with 3.5mm jacks however it really depends how much strain you put on the cable attached to the Jack plug.  You usually have fairly lightweight cable for ear buds on portables, where as if you try different (normally thicker) cables for on heads such as the X1's the amount of force is much greater on the same size  jack and the socket connected to it.

In about a month's time I will relate my experiences with this issue. I will say no more at this point!!!!

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #827 of 5,962
Quote:
Just Being Pedantic its a DC voltage with a waveform corresponding to the Music being listened to. You really do not want to let AC near your speaker/headphone coils!!!!!

So what would AC do to a speaker in your understanding? Why would you prefer DC with modulation?
To limit OT: the signal in case of music is actually AC. You're correct with the fact that the properties governing possible differences between cables with respect to music is primarily the impedance (and only to a lesser degree the DC resistance). Nevertheless I seriously doubt that switching cables makes a major difference, especially one worth a somewhat substantial amount of money. And No: I won't discuss that any further :wink:

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #828 of 5,962
If phillips headphones are being sold off is it worth picking up the entire fidelio range? I admit the L1 wasn't too impressive, but I didn't listen for very long or in ideal conditions. Non replaceable pads is a pain as well.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #829 of 5,962
They're not gonna disappear at a moment's notice...

The sale of Philip's home electronics division won't even be final for months, and the Japanese company that bought them seems to intend to continue selling products under the same brand since they've licensed it for 5+ years.

That being said, I did buy a pair of Downtowns recently since they were on clearance for $35. :p I hope they X1 makes it stateside soon and the launch isn't derailed by this.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #830 of 5,962
Quote:

Jesus, Impulse, you just read my mind. Exactly what I was thinking, but you exposed much better than I could.

After decades making cheap crappo headphones, Philips just recently decided to go serious with them and was able to make a great job with new Fidelio, O'Neill and Citiscape lines, and now, less than one year after releasing their first Fidelio headphone, the L1, they decide to sell the business. Very disappointing. The new company just could think: "The headphone business is not that important, and Beats is making too tough to compete, so let's just go back to cheap crappy headphones or end the production all together." 

Of course, Funai could love Philips new headphones and think the investment in them should increase. But I guess that would be too good to be true... :xf_eek:(

Well, let's see, but if someone really wants a X1, I would buy it sooner than later. 

Cheers.

Guys, you really need to buy a lot of new Philips headphones to prove Funai they should keep them in business:)

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #832 of 5,962
Quote:
Sure i'll just pull up the money i don't have and buy it all, no problem. Hey if you meet me on the street, spare some change will ya, maybe we can trade headphones for food, that would be nice...

I'll trade my ex girlfriend.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #833 of 5,962
Quote:
Sure i'll just pull up the money i don't have and buy it all, no problem. Hey if you meet me on the street, spare some change will ya, maybe we can trade headphones for food, that would be nice...

Quote:
I'll trade my ex girlfriend.

LOL:)

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #835 of 5,962
Quote:
I took your advice. Now what should I do with the parts of Funai that aren't related to headphones?

Great:)
If you also care about other products, buy them, buy a lot! It will also have greater good - help us recover from the recession:)

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #836 of 5,962
Quote:
Great:)
If you also care about other products, buy them, buy a lot! It will also have greater good - help us recover from the recession:)

blink.gif
 your selling your Denons !

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #838 of 5,962
Jan 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #839 of 5,962
Quote:
To each his own I guess. I would never sell them

True, they are amazing headphones. But I want to try something new...unfortunately can't afford to have many at the same time. Well, maybe I'll regret selling Denons...

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #840 of 5,962
Quote:
True, they are amazing headphones. But I want to try something new...unfortunately can't afford to have many at the same time. Well, maybe I'll regret selling Denons...

Not if you get fostex. hahaha

The problem being they will be veeery difficult to find again. 

The problem I have is my obsession to get the most out of them without screwing up their sound. At the moment I'm saving for:
Audio-GD Master 8 amp
Yulong D18 DAC (but since it can't handle bad sources, Looking at AudioLab MDAC or something else thats vinyl but not tubelike at all in presentation.)

And if I could afford it - Eddie Current Zana Duex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back