[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #811 of 5,962
Quote:
It is measured that a silver cable has a more present 5khz-10khz area. So that is something that is there. 
But honestly, I don't really think these is an audible difference in a 0.2 Ohm 10 dollar cable and a 0.2 Ohm 200 dollar cable.
But I haven't tried this yet! So it might not be true.

Most people  muddle up the difference between measuring a cable with a dc voltage to determine its basic resistance and what happens when a cable has to pass an analogue signal which is far from flat dc, with amplitude peaks/troughs and variable frequency extremes.  The Cable's capacitance and mutual inductance between cores then come in to play which gives each cable a different sound signature of its own ( as I said think of it as a passive equaliser)  so there are many reasons why a 0.2 ohm cable at different prices can sound quite different.  

Anyway perhaps we are getting away to far from the original thread's objective of publishing people listening experiences with the X1's and going down the Expensive Cable/Snake Oil debate.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #812 of 5,962
Damn it. The left side of my X1's failed. The problem is in the connector on the headphones. If I move the cable around the signal get on and back off. 
Someone on another forum has the same problem for the right side. Anyone else experience this? It sucks because I really liked the headphones...
And with the news that the headphones are discontinued, i really hope I can get a new one somehow..

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #813 of 5,962
Quote:
Damn it. The left side of my X1's failed. The problem is in the connector on the headphones. If I move the cable around the signal get on and back off. 
Someone on another forum has the same problem for the right side. Anyone else experience this? It sucks because I really liked the headphones...
And with the news that the headphones are discontinued, i really hope I can get a new one somehow..

Listed as immediately available on Amazon Italy:

http://www.amazon.it/Philips-X1-00-Fidelio-Auricolari/dp/B008ZW2T7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359557107&sr=8-1

They are expected to show as In Stock tomorrow.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #814 of 5,962
Quote:
Most people  muddle up the difference between measuring a cable with a dc voltage to determine its basic resistance and what happens when a cable has to pass an analogue signal which is far from flat dc, with amplitude peaks/troughs and variable frequency extremes.  The Cable's capacitance and mutual inductance between cores then come in to play which gives each cable a different sound signature of its own ( as I said think of it as a passive equaliser)  so there are many reasons why a 0.2 ohm cable at different prices can sound quite different.  

Anyway perhaps we are getting away to far from the original thread's objective of publishing people listening experiences with the X1's and going down the Expensive Cable/Snake Oil debate.

It's so far from flat DC thats is AC? :)

Philips is getting out of the consumer audio business.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=497971

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #816 of 5,962

ok, I'm in trouble deciding which way to go.
Get the X1 again, or go with something like HE-400 or HD600...
The He-400 would be tempting, but some say they are not that good with vocals and classical music....also some say they are not fatiguing, others say the highs are somewhat agressive....

BUT, tha X1 were so nice!

Ooooouch, sorry to hear it!
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #817 of 5,962
Quote:

It's so far from flat DC thats is AC? :)

Philips is getting out of the consumer audio business.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=497971

Just Being Pedantic its a DC voltage with a waveform corresponding to the Music being listened to. You really do not want to let AC near your speaker/headphone coils!!!!!

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #819 of 5,962
Quote:

hey I had similar problem just on both drivers, so I sent them back to Italy, I asked amazon for a replacement, but the headphones were out of stock... so I am getting money back instead... I really loved these headphones, and now it seems that they are started to sell these again... Actually I can't find anything else that would beat these headphones in terms of sound quality and comfort for less than 200 euro... Guess I will order these cans again when they appear in stock :) 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #820 of 5,962
Quote:

Its likely to be the finger contacts inside the 3.5mm Jack socket inside the headphone.  If they get slightly damaged ( bent) they will not connect to the shaft of the plug properly and stop the signal going to the headphone coil.  I am afraid this is a limitation in the X1 design, they are not very robust with this type of connection and flexing this area too much leads to problems.

Take the K702/Q701 they has a Mini XLR socket with a locking lever which gets over this problem so perhaps Phillips or whoever takes them over might change the design. Probably not!!!!

I think thats why most other quality headphone manufacturers either do not provide detachable cables or have a mechanically stronger & robust connection socket/s to terminate the cable into the headphone with. Perhaps some inexperience from the Phillips design team here???

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #821 of 5,962
Quote:

Recable - reterminate. 
Quote:
Its likely to be the finger contacts inside the 3.5mm Jack socket inside the headphone.  If they get slightly damaged ( bent) they will not connect to the shaft of the plug properly and stop the signal going to the headphone coil.  I am afraid this is a limitation in the X1 design, they are not very robust with this type of connection and flexing this area too much leads to problems.

Take the K702/Q701 they has a Mini XLR socket with a locking lever which gets over this problem so perhaps Phillips or whoever takes them over might change the design. Probably not!!!!

I think thats why most other quality headphone manufacturers either do not provide detachable cables or have a mechanically stronger & robust connection socket/s to terminate the cable into the headphone with. Perhaps some inexperience from the Phillips design team here???

Recable - reterminate. 

Not too complex. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #823 of 5,962
Quote:
How do you reterminate the socket inside the headphone and if its the fingers inside that are bent what does re terminating do  Oh Headfi supremus???

hahahahahahaha - I'm sorry I know baiting you like that was mean. 
size]
 couldn't resist - I made this earlier today for other reasons.

In all seriousness if your a bit mad you probably could open the whole thing and do it, using small heat shrink, resoldering the connectors, and some silicon paste. But I would rather return it, unless you have no choice or as I said are a bit mad.

EDIT: oh I do love my custom title

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #825 of 5,962
Seems to get better with shorter length? This could probably be something out of audiophile nutball territory, but could there be circumstances where length differences like those could affect the damping factor (or some such thing) of the circuit?

No way a couple inches more or less makes a noticeable difference. If anything it'd be cable thickness/shielding/etc.

While XLR and other locking connectors are clearly more secure, I don't think there's anything wrong with using the standard jack they used nor should it be an early point of failure unless you're being rough with it or the contacts were just soft from the start (in which case I'd consider it defective).

If the jacks were so weak they'd be failing left and right on portable players themselves where you tend to plug and unplug more often... There's other headphones that use the same jack and I haven't seen widespread failures with them either, like my M-80. It's particularly nice to have on portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back