[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Dec 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #514 of 5,962
Damn, I was heavily considering buying these on Phillips.co.uk with the 20% discount voucher that they have going on right now for £216 but then read this thread and found out that I could get them from Amazon Italy for €203.36 shipped (£165) and had to bite. That is £105 off of the retail price of £270! I really hope these headphones turn out to be worth the while and also hope that they will pair well with my ASUS Xonar Essence ST.

I had been looking at several other options for a great and fun all-rounder for gaming, music and movies since my DT880s had started rattling in the left ear cup whenever low bass hits. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in sound and from what I have read here I think I will prefer the Phillips sound to the DT880 since I always felt that the treble was a bit too harsh.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #515 of 5,962
I previously had the Sennheiser Momentum but returned them.
I just got these from amazon for 100 euros less than the Momentum and they sound great! They have different specs of course... The looks are also superb.
Cons:
- a bit tight on my big head (not as big as Jabba's though :)). They should have allowed the user to setup the tension on that elastic band.
- The connector becomes way too long if you're using mini-jack as I am.
- The cable is too long for my needs and there are a couple of fibers of the cable's tissue that come out in two spots.
A minor glitch but still I hope the thing isn't refurbished or something... What about yours, did you inspect them in every detail when unboxing?
Also too bad that the only proper way to carry these is in the huge shipping box. Some nice fella reading this wants to make a carrying box like the Sennheiser Momentum one?

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #516 of 5,962
What's soundstage and imaging like for these headphones? From both gaming and music points of view. Compared, to, for example, K701 and DT880.

Also, has anyone found an inexpensive replacement cable (which is actually an upgrade over the stock one) with 1/4" jack?

Thanks!
smile.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #517 of 5,962
Quote:

Also, has anyone found an inexpensive replacement cable (which is actually an upgrade over the stock one) with 1/4" jack?

Thanks!
smile.gif

Personally, I still doubt you'll be able to replace that stock cable with anything half as nice. This is technically just speculation on my part since I've only seen pictures of the cable and has everything to do with my personal preferences/tastes, but crap. I wish I had a cable that nice for my headphones! Unless it's literally defective (which is something I think more people would be noticing?) I can't imagine why you'd even want to replace it in the first place.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #518 of 5,962
Quote:

Personally, I still doubt you'll be able to replace that stock cable with anything half as nice. This is technically just speculation on my part since I've only seen pictures of the cable and has everything to do with my personal preferences/tastes, but crap. I wish I had a cable that nice for my headphones! Unless it's literally defective (which is something I think more people would be noticing?) I can't imagine why you'd even want to replace it in the first place.

Some people in the german hifi-forum.de reported that microphonics are really bad with the stock cable, and that rubber cables work much better. However, I haven't been able to confirm this because I'm still waiting for my X1s to arrive.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #519 of 5,962
Quote:
Some people in the german hifi-forum.de reported that microphonics are really bad with the stock cable, and that rubber cables work much better. However, I haven't been able to confirm this because I'm still waiting for my X1s to arrive.

A quick update as I haven't posted for a while on the X1's due to a family bereavement. I have just received my Toxic*cable replacement for the X1's after 10 weeks of waiting and boy was it worth the wait!!  As far as I am concerned even after just a short few hours of running in they are quite the best I have tried with the X1's and suit both the sound and the mechanical requirements of the X1 perfectly.
This is a one off cable manufactured by Frank at Toxic for me using his Cryo Silver plated high purity copper in Litz configuration.
I have tried a number of other cables   Standard 4 9's and 5 9's copper and Modified Silver Dragon Mark 1's.  The Silver dragons where good but very Microphonic in my set up. However the Toxic cable is not Microphonic and is a lightweight construction with a small format 3.5mm plug which produces little strain on the headphone socket ( something to consider when choosing replacement cable)
Just for information the stock cable is a little Microphonic in the zone of 3 feet of the headphone if you scrape your finger down the covering but nothing out of the ordinary. However its the effect on the X1's sound quality that the stock cable has that had always worried me from my initial listening in September.
I will post more about the overall sound quality of the X1 & Toxic*cable combo after I think it has burnt in enough but on a 1 hour session of listening using stock and Toxic the big differences are A) The headphones seem to sound slightly louder with the toxic for the same volume setting ( I think this is because the low level sounds are easier to hear)
B)  No question the Toxic have a better focus on the Mid and Upper ranges of the headphone allowing the transients in the music to be sharper and clearer  C) the strange mid bass hump that seems to be present with the stock is gone and the low to mids are seamless within the music. The micro detail within certain tracks is easier to hear and all the all around focus is sharper with the toxic.
I have always believed that the X1's are a great headphone for the money let down by the stock cable and finding the Toxic*cable has proved that to be the case.
I will post again more experiences when I have a chance to listen to the X1/Toxic against my Beyer T1's.
The X1's do like a low impedance amp to give of their best and my MF Xcan V8  seems to be a great match
The Toxic*cable does not change the overall soundstage of the X1 however so you still get a front row feel to the music presentation with a wide soundstage but not such a front to back 3D image that a few cans give.  
I have already put away my Senn 650's with Stephan Art classic cable and my AKG Q701 with upgrade cable as the X1's  for me do not have their limitations ( Former smears transients on quickly paced music and has a mid rang veil  while the latter is slightly bright with not enough lower end energy)  So I will let you know if the X1/Toxic outs the Beyer T1's in due course.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #521 of 5,962
Looking for my first open style headphones, and have decided to try the X1's in part because of reading this thread. I already own some DT770's and wanted to try something different.  Looking forward to trying open headphones, as my last two pairs have been closed.

I ordered from Philips-shop.co.uk for £170, thought some UK buyers would be interested in the codes I found.  I used two 20% off discount codes (specialxmas20 & fyftrrsdfdg)  the second code I found online said it was no longer valid but still worked when used on the site.

Good review on the X1's here http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6007/philips-fidelio-x1-open-back-headphones-review 

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #522 of 5,962
Quote:
Looking for my first open style headphones, and have decided to try the X1's in part because of reading this thread. I already own some DT770's and wanted to try something different.  Looking forward to trying open headphones, as my last two pairs have been closed.

I ordered from Philips-shop.co.uk for £170, thought some UK buyers would be interested in the codes I found.  I used two 20% off discount codes (specialxmas20 & fyftrrsdfdg)  the second code I found online said it was no longer valid but still worked when used on the site.

Good review on the X1's here http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6007/philips-fidelio-x1-open-back-headphones-review 

I thought I'd register to say thanks for posting this info, Just bought a pair of X1's can't wait to get them at £170 couldn't say no.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #523 of 5,962
Quote:

I thought I'd register to say thanks for posting this info, Just bought a pair of X1's can't wait to get them at £170 couldn't say no.

Cheers, I registered to post the discount codes.  This site is dangerous I have gone from owning a £50 pair of Sennheisers to Beyer 770 Pro's, Fiio E17 and Philips X1s in less than a year.

Was thinking of getting the Senn 650s, but the Philips X1s have been getting some great reviews, they look amazing and are £100 less than the Senn's after discounts.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #524 of 5,962
Quote:
Cheers, I registered to post the discount codes.  This site is dangerous I have gone from owning a £50 pair of Sennheisers to Beyer 770 Pro's, Fiio E17 and Philips X1s in less than a year.

Was thinking of getting the Senn 650s, but the Philips X1s have been getting some great reviews, they look amazing and are £100 less than the Senn's after discounts.

Enjoy the X1's   I do especially with the Toxic*Cable.  They are more enjoyable than HD650's in my opinion and I have listen to the HD650 Senn's for a number of years.
Just to qualify Phillips Discounts  1st one takes 20% off list price and 2nd one takes 20% off already discounted price.
Also the 2nd special code can only be used once it seams. So total of 36% discount plus free shipping.  Good Find!!!!  Amazon Italy comes in a similar £ price including shipping to the UK.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #525 of 5,962
Quote:

Enjoy the X1's   I do especially with the Toxic*Cable.  They are more enjoyable than HD650's in my opinion and I have listen to the HD650 Senn's for a number of years.
Just to qualify Phillips Discounts  1st one takes 20% off list price and 2nd one takes 20% off already discounted price.
Also the 2nd special code can only be used once it seams. So total of 36% discount plus free shipping.  Good Find!!!!  Amazon Italy comes in a similar £ price including shipping to the UK.

If you are ordering from Amazon Italy to the UK, when you get to the checkout it adds VAT, this takes the price to around £200 plus they charge for delivery.  

I have noticed Philips have some amazing discounts for their website, there was also a 40% discount which I missed out on.  Someone has posted here about getting the X1's for £120 after discounts, that would have been the bargain of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back