[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #167 of 5,962
To my ears when changing the cable to something more substantial the recessed mids and top goes away completely and the Philips become so much better to listen to.  The stock cable while well made seems to be rather thin and have a small conductor cross section. I believe this is giving rise to the problems at the top end .

I have experimented with adaptors and good phono cables. The true quality of the X1 is great without its own cable. They really do sound like the AKG 7 series but with significant low end grunt. Now all I have to do is find a good quality headphone cable with proper connectors.
I'm thinking of trying the Oyaide brand, however not seen muchin the way of reviews about it !!!

These are one serious set of headphones but not with stock cables.

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #168 of 5,962
Quote:
To my ears when changing the cable to something more substantial the recessed mids and top goes away completely and the Philips become so much better to listen to.  The stock cable while well made seems to be rather thin and have a small conductor cross section. I believe this is giving rise to the problems at the top end .

I have experimented with adaptors and good phono cables. The true quality of the X1 is great without its own cable. They really do sound like the AKG 7 series but with significant low end grunt. Now all I have to do is find a good quality headphone cable with proper connectors.
I'm thinking of trying the Oyaide brand, however not seen muchin the way of reviews about it !!!

These are one serious set of headphones but not with stock cables.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. For fear of the possibility of derailing this thread, I won't comment on any of that. 
redface.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #169 of 5,962
To all Europeans: Philips Fidelio X1 for 197 € (£157 - $254) on Amazon.it (dispatched and sold by Amazon EU Sarl). Only 4 remaining (mine is already on the way)!!

The item CAN be shipped outside EU, so if you live abroad and you really want one... :D

EDIT: oh, I almost forgot! -> CLICK!

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #170 of 5,962
W00t @ price. Really unexpected. Shame about the open-back cuz I personally need at least slight ambient noise isolation. minimum -10dBr or so.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #171 of 5,962
Just an  amazing price.for a new set of phones not generally released yet   perhaps I should buy another pair !!!!

Just need to change the cable to get a really great product.
Sorry if that upsets some contributors 
evil_smiley.gif

Still deciding what cable will be best suited to the phones balance.

Just played some early  Phil Collins    Wow not heard that level of depth from drums using a standard headphone design before !!

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #173 of 5,962
Funny I ordered the 2nd to last one as well!!  can't believe the price at £100 lower than I paid earlier this week. Its a bargain at the Recommended price and just a steal at Amazon.it pricing    
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am now just looking to buy a good cable to go with both of them.  Stock cable just doesn't let the headphone give of its best.  

Just listening to The Fingerlakes by Tommy Emmanuael . As it said on the tin "Acoustic Guitar in your Face"
Outstanding clarity from a standard set of phones
dt880smile.png

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #174 of 5,962
I couldn't believe my eyes! :p
What a price! Even Philips.it is selling the headphones right now. As soon as I noticed them, I felt the urge to look on Amazon as well (I usually buy/check prices on .de, .co.uk and obv .it). I'm glad I took the time to look there before rushing on the Philips store. :D

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #175 of 5,962
Quote:
Just need to change the cable to get a really great product.
Sorry if that upsets some contributors 
evil_smiley.gif

Still deciding what cable will be best suited to the phones balance.

Definitely keep us posted on this.  

I just decided myself on cables for the DAC--and that in itself is a pretty funny topic to track!  I guess in the final analysis, I was swayed by the 1s and 0s argument, assuming a non-crappy/functional cable, and so I didn't go nuts on the cable but didn't skimp either (Pangea GA $50 on Amazon).  But from prior experience, I know one of the most stunning upgrades to my stereo ever (and I have way more time/money invested in my HT/Stereo setup) was going from the standard high-grade monster speaker-wire to Audioquest Bedrock.  Lights out, knock down difference on the same system in the same room.  And of course the signal from the amp to the phones is analogous to that between the amp and the speakers, so I'm really curious to hear your report.

In the meantime, I just returned the FiiO setup I got and have some legit gear on the way--my first (screaming deal on an M2Tech Young DAC and a hot-off-the-press NuForce HAP-1000 Headamp).  Now without the FiiO gear, the phones sound crisp and defined, but boy does it feel like a lot is missing.  a lot.  even from that FiiO setup, the difference is huge.  In some ways, I feel the FiiO on the HD580s gave the Fidelio X1s a pretty good run for their money.  No doubt, the X1s are more defined even without the DAC/AMP, but there's just no "body" to the sound--the fullness and richness that I heard before is gone--gone with the DAC/AMP.  

Can't wait to hear 'em with the new setup!

Eli

Users who are viewing this thread

Back