[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #106 of 5,962
Quote:

I also had the K550 some weeks ago (i got perfect seal btw), it  (AKG) sounds brighter, less bassy and with recessed (lower) mids. The bass was also slower and less detailed. It has more of an upper mid peak which fit vocals nicely even though some parts of the mids were lacking in quantity. The X1 has more to offer in the lower mids and slightly less peak in the upper mids, more balanced for my taste.
What i really enjoy on the X1 is the soundstage and how the layering/depth works with the amount of bass the X1 has to offer. For example you get a giant drumkit playing behind the vocals but they never get in each other's way. Soundstaging like this is usually only found in speakers. In all other bassy headphones i heard, the bass would overshadow the rest and ruin the soundstage depth making the bass too present.

In your opinion, is the Fidelio X1 an open, semi-open, or closed headphone?

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #107 of 5,962
Wow this X1 sounds very very promissing. :p Wasn't expecting to get so much interested in this one, great another headphone to add to my list: Beyer Custom One, Sony XB900, Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R, V-Moda M100, PSB M4U 1, AKG by Tiesto (the over-ear model), Philips Fidelio X1.... gawd, will be so difficult to pick *_*

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #108 of 5,962
Quote:
In your opinion, is the Fidelio X1 an open, semi-open, or closed headphone?

Definately open. The Beyerdynamic T90 for example had a strange mixture of open/closed characteristics where everything from 20-500 hz would sound a bit more closed in and the rest above that would sound more open. The HD800 also had a similar effect to my ears but it's been too long since i had it.

The X1 does not quite sound as open as the Shure 1840 or an AD2000 but it's close. It also does leak alot of sound to the outside.

PS: Listening to bass heavy music makes the driver tickle your ears. :D

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #111 of 5,962
Quote:
Wow this X1 sounds very very promissing. :p Wasn't expecting to get so much interested in this one, great another headphone to add to my list: Beyer Custom One, Sony XB900, Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R, V-Moda M100, PSB M4U 1, AKG by Tiesto (the over-ear model), Philips Fidelio X1.... gawd, will be so difficult to pick *_*

My money is on the X1, literally, if I could only find a place to purchase one. FleaBay has them for $600+, but I'm not that desperate.

A non-portable, open-back headphone with healthy/punchy bass, nice mids, non-hyped treble with a good soundstage. I really liked the tonality of the L1 despite its shortcomings. This could be a real winner.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #114 of 5,962
All this talk of the X1's bass makes me either giddy for its amazing bass/soundstage 'relationship' or wanting to shun it since I'm not really a basshead. But as long as its bass is just slightly more than the DT880 (and not more) then I'm pretty sure that would push me to buy it if I have the money (LOL). Not that I can use an open can currently though, but that didn't stop me to buy the Aless MS1i. :p

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #117 of 5,962
Quote:
If you want to pony up $630, it's available in a lot of places via eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Fidelio-X1-HiFi-Stereo-Headband-Headphones-/110947048350?forcev4exp=true

Screw that. Only £200 in the UK direct from Phillips. I'd buy a pair, but I just paid for a Schiit Asgard and kinda want a set of portable cans or custom IEMs next.

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #118 of 5,962
Well for now i can say that the X1 is bass heavy, especially considering these are open headphones. It's probably one of most bass heavy and punchy _open_ headphone i've heard yet 

Well so much for the X1...
frown.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #119 of 5,962
Quote:
Well for now i can say that the X1 is bass heavy, especially considering these are open headphones. It's probably one of most bass heavy and punchy _open_ headphone i've heard yet 

Well so much for the X1...
frown.gif

Really?
I thought the X1's were quite neutral while K550's are bright...

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #120 of 5,962
Quote:
Well for now i can say that the X1 is bass heavy, especially considering these are open headphones. It's probably one of most bass heavy and punchy _open_ headphone i've heard yet (see history in my profile, didnt listen to the Audeze and open Ultrasones yet).  I'm not really a bass head but i'm easy to please and can adapt to pretty much every headphone out there. The good thing: the mids are not suffering from the bass and remain clear. I really wonder how they did that since most other companies fail at mixing big bass with nice mids. It doesnt have quite the clear and natural mids the Shure 1840 has to offer but for my taste i like them better than the mids from the T90. Besides that i find the X1 more involving than both, soundstage sounds very coherent while both the Shure and more so the T90 suffers from a 3-blob stage where the left, center and right are too seperated from each other. I think Philips did everything right with the angled 50mm driver construction. Comfort is very good. Treble makes them appear very slightly on the "warm" side of things.

Thanks for your impressions bizkid. Any complaints or comments on build quality and/or materials?

Hope these become available to Canadians sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back