[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 26, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #5,791 of 5,962
You are perfectly understood, thanks! But there is a dark point for me as I am a beginner in DIY:

How do you perform the Y splitting? Is there a special accessory for that or you just solder the cables together and cover them with some kind of insulation tape?

I can see a very nice brown wooden box in your picture but can't find such a thing on ebay.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #5,792 of 5,962
I just solder cables and insulate them with hot-glue and then solder outer screening layer together over them, so even the Y-joining point is covered with ground/screening.

That wooden box is self-made, You can´t find it anywhere.

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #5,793 of 5,962
ok, thank you for the ideas CoiL 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #5,795 of 5,962
Yesterday, I 've listened to the Mojo from my Fidelio X1 for about 3-4 hours.

Initially, I was disappointed as I found the sound too rounded, too polite and boring. But after an hour or so, some magical burn-in effect happened (to Mojo or to my ears/brain) and then it sounded normal in that aspect. I still wish there was some more aggressiveness to the sound but now it is more than acceptable.
Apart from that the sound is fantastic and much better than a Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 2 combo or a Fiio E18.
Regarding the match with X1, I am amazed by how the Mojo "cures" the mid-bass hump of the X1's, Not only it presents a very clear bass but it pushes the bass in line with the other frequencies too! Midrange is full, rich and has the right prominence with X1 but ideally there should be a little more emphasis on the upper midrange. Treble is excellent. Not only very clear and well-extended but you can hear the upper-harmonics from voices and instruments. For example the decay of a cymbal crash is more natural and realistic than ever. But again, ideally I wish there was a little more brightness to the treble. Instrument separation, clarity and detail is top-notch.

I definitely need more hours of listening to reach to a safe conclusion about the match Mojo+X1. The only thing that makes me skeptical now is that I may find the sound too polite.

Time will show…

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #5,796 of 5,962
After some days of listening, it is very clear what happens with Mojo.
Mojo at its full potential has extraordinary sound, fantastic dynamics and timing as you read everywhere on the internet. But to get the best result you must have the right source.

My initial listening was from my android phone and tablet where the sound lacks a bit in dynamics. That's why I found the sound somehow boring. When I moved to my PC the dynamics were there and actually they are very good. Also the background became blacker and the timing much improved. In this setup, the sound was much better than a Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 2 or a Fiio product. I enjoy it very much as it puts me into the music. Without any effort, I "communicate" with the singer and every intrument playing while I am listening to a song. This is definetely an end-game source for the X1. Also forget about what I wrote in my previous post about the upper midrange and treble. In this setup, every frequency range from bass to treble has the right quantity and quality!
Finally, after connecting the Mojo to my PS3 using the optical input I was pleasantly surprised from the first seconds of the song I played! Dynamics and timing were excellent, I dare to say hi-end class! This is the full potential of Mojo. Now I understand what does "good DAC timing" mean. Unfortunately due to practical reasons I cannot listen in that setup with my headphones as the PS3 sits below my TV, not near my office but I use it that way as a DAC to my vintage Hi-Fi system which is completely transformed by the sound of Mojo!

In conclusion: If you are not much interested to get exceptional audio performance from an android device, go and get Mojo now! it is a fantastic sounding product which enters into the region of hi-end audio! The hype you read is true. Also an excellent match and endgame for the "Fidelio X1". Because believe me if you have Mojo + X1  obviously your next upgrade will be the headphones not the source. It is just insane to buy a more high-end source for mid-fi headphones.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #5,797 of 5,962
  Perhaps you're more treble-sensitive than you initially thought. Taming the highs would stay in line with your thoughts about there being less clarity since I feel the two are very connected and sounding more pleasant means your ears agree with it more, probably because it's now smoother and less fatiguing with lower treble energy.

Sorry for responding to this late, but yup, this still stands even after much further comparing. Excessively bright (with the other cables) is a nice way to put it. I can't be sure if it's just me, or if there is a problem with the other cables, or if the one I dug up somehow fixes the possible output/input imbalance between the player and amp (perhaps attenuating too hot a signal). None of my headphones are known for being bright, but I had issues with them all with the other cables. Science of money can't explain it, but what works works. :)

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #5,798 of 5,962
  Sorry for responding to this late, but yup, this still stands even after much further comparing. Excessively bright (with the other cables) is a nice way to put it. I can't be sure if it's just me, or if there is a problem with the other cables, or if the one I dug up somehow fixes the possible output/input imbalance between the player and amp (perhaps attenuating too hot a signal). None of my headphones are known for being bright, but I had issues with them all with the other cables. Science of money can't explain it, but what works works. :)

There's any myriad of factors that could be the case. But sometimes, it's just better to accept that it works and sit back and enjoy the music right?
o2smile.gif

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #5,800 of 5,962
  There's any myriad of factors that could be the case. But sometimes, it's just better to accept that it works and sit back and enjoy the music right?
o2smile.gif

Heh, two weeks after that post I replaced the cables with these for 35EUR ones (Oehlbach NF 1 Master):

I was very nervous about spending that kind of money on cables, I told someone that day "I bought something very stupid", but after plugging them in I was immediately relieved. I wasn't crazy for spending 35 euros on cables, not crazy at all.

I'm glad I chose to finish what I started; something there just wasn't right, and now it's been righted.

I've also added the Fisual 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter to my Fisual 5m flex headphone cable. I had an adapter I was happy with, but it was a straight adapter with no bit of cable, so it wasn't safe. One I had with a bit of cable (dirt cheap from eBay) I wasn't happy with. Testing out various adapters I had lying around I discovered they can very easily be the weak link in the chain, and from what I gather most people think "it's just an adapter".

My thoughts in the end are that it's worth spending a bit on cabling, but nothing outrageous. Then again, I'm against spending outrageous sums on any kind of audio equipment (and my standards for "outrageous" are quite low). Proper shielding and good quality connectors are I think what matters most, and the key characteristic in cables is their transparency i.e. being able to hear how good your other equipment is.

So that's that. :)

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #5,802 of 5,962
How do these compare to hd598?

I can't compare them directly for you, but you're asking quite a lot in that kind of comparison if you don't specify what you're asking about. The HD598 is completely different in sound signature to begin with (based on what I've read about the HD598 and what I've personally heard come out of the X1). The X1 is a little pricier used than a new HD598, but the X1 is MUCH more premium feeling and more comfortable. Can't give you anything on sound quality as I've only listened to the X1.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #5,805 of 5,962
Looks like I might have found a spectacular deal for these, it was totally by accident too.

I own a Schiit Lyr amp, which I use to drive my K701. Do you think it will be appropriate, or might it be a problem on account of the low impedance of the headphones?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back