[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #5,746 of 5,962
Finally replaced the stock cable. Boy what a difference. The stock cable is literally faulty, It has all kinds of problems from voices changing LR balance when going up and down in pitch and sounding like they've got vocoder effects to severely uncontroled bass and two dimensional soundstage. I've accepted them as they are for quite some time but the revelation came when I connected a cheapest possible dollar store cable and noticed a giant improvement and natural sound.

Since I've finally got something very decent to drive the headphones it was nigh time I woke up and smelled the honey: the stock cable completely ruins this headphone's potential. Looks nice, but just doesn't perform like it needs to.

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #5,747 of 5,962
You`re not alone with this cable thing and seems You got the one with really bad quality cable. If You bother to measure Your stock cable and new cable impedances, then I`ll add results to this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #5,748 of 5,962
  You`re not alone with this cable thing and seems You got the one with really bad quality cable. If You bother to measure Your stock cable and new cable impedances, then I`ll add results to this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

I'd have to borrow the tool and learn how to use it first. :p

Interesting how with cables, while so many people claim are completely trivial, have the capability to screw everything up like no other piece of equipment. And it's not really the question of the price of the cable, not at all. I recently replaced the cable going from the source to the amp with a cable the third of the price at cca 7$. It was the right match it seems. much better sound that is a lot less harsh and hot, cleaner too. Oh yeah, the equipment is new so I didn't suffer long, I actually noticed the problem immediately but wasn't sure it was the cable. 

The whole cable thing is new to me really, but my quick conclusion is that the price of the cable is of little consequence, it has to be a good match more than anything else.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #5,749 of 5,962
CoiL:
I am thinking of getting an Aune T1SE for my Fidelio X1.
Since you have rolled a few tubes, would you recommend the Genalex e88cc gold lion tube? It gets very good reviews in combination with the Aune T1.
Also what tube(s) priced under $60 would you recommend?

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #5,750 of 5,962
  ...would you recommend the Genalex e88cc gold lion tube? It gets very good reviews in combination with the Aune T1.

Idk, I don`t have this tube. From what I have read about Genalex E88CC (If I remember correctly) is that it is littlebit V-shaped and has quite neutral or even recessed mids depending on gear matchup. For X1 You would like probably tube with littlebit mids oriented and bass tamed signature with large large soundstage top balance T1 and X1 out. For me, Siemens E88CC goldpin from is best match for X1 and some few others (quite rare and with production batch differences). X1 has quite huge soundstage capabilities so, it means getting a tube to match up this but It probably won`t be so cheap. Though, You may find some NOS or used tubes @ eBay etc. with small price if You keep checking sales continuously until You hit the "jack-pot". 
But from totally new production tubes Genalex E88CC goldpin is probably still nice step-up from stock tube.

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #5,751 of 5,962
Thank you for the answer!
In fact I am still skeptical about getting the Aune T1SE instead of Chord Mojo. The only reason I lean towards the Aune is because I can't afford Mojo at the moment. Also I don't know how much better is Mojo compared to the Aune T1SE (with upgraded tube), sonically-wise.
The only thing which might help me now is to know whether the Aune T1 with the Siemens E88CC tube you mentioned sounds too thick in the bottom or blurry on top.

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #5,752 of 5,962
Save money and get MOJO - it`s worth every penny I believe (I want it too) 
wink.gif
 Not that T1 wouldn`t be worth the money... BUT... tube-rolling is expensive and time consuming, not to mention that T1 needs some inner parts upgrading to sound great. I would collect money for MOJO instead and settle with it, with no hassles and get portable solution along with it.

Just at the time I were into getting DAC/amp - T1 was great solution for the money and there was no MOJO. And after all the upgrades and tubes I don`t wish to sell it anymore (too much money and audio-journey to lose). I mean - let alone my Siemens tube costs more than T1. I would sell it only as a bundle with all the tubes I have - but who would like to pay even more for all that than MOJO costs? 
redface.gif

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #5,753 of 5,962
I 'm excited with the Mojo too. Saving money and getting the Mojo was my initial plan. It will also serve me as a portable device as you said.
If I manage to sell my Fiio E18 and Schiit Wyrd, I will get very close to obtaining Mojo.
Thank you for the advice, you were very helpful! 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #5,754 of 5,962
Well, I've now replaced the 7$ cable going from the player to the amp with a 2$ one. Even better. Less clean, a bit more noise (or perhaps allows me to hear more of the noise), hence more grain and detail. A bit harsher with more attitude, yet not hot at all like my original cable was (the one that cost three times the 7$ one, and I'm talking about RCA cables, to recap).

Also changing the 3$ 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to a <1$ one resulted in a big improvement.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #5,755 of 5,962
  Well, I've now replaced the 7$ cable going from the player to the amp with a 2$ one. Even better. Less clean, a bit more noise (or perhaps allows me to hear more of the noise), hence more grain and detail. A bit harsher with more attitude, yet not hot at all like my original cable was (the one that cost three times the 7$ one, and I'm talking about RCA cables, to recap).

Also changing the 3$ 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to a <1$ one resulted in a big improvement.

I just wanna make sure I'm reading this right....you bought some even cheaper cables and they improved the sound? Or is it confirmation that they made the sound worse than the previously already cheap cables? I'm just a bit confused by your wording.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #5,756 of 5,962

I guess you should try a 0.75$ cable then...
You'll find out how the noise gets more and more resolution and detail.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #5,757 of 5,962
It`s not about the price - it`s the impedance - and some cheaper ones might even be better on that than nicer looking "high-quality" ones. It`s not about nice looking "shiny" cable - it`s what`s inside.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #5,758 of 5,962
  It`s not about the price - it`s the impedance - and some cheaper ones might even be better on that than nicer looking "high-quality" ones. It`s not about nice looking "shiny" cable - it`s what`s inside.

Price isn't quite what I was concerned too much about. I'll buy the $5 cable over the $100 cable any day of the week. But I was sort of confused about the explanation between the differences in the two cheaper cables they bought. More detail is good, but isn't more grain bad? Likewise, is harsh not a bad thing? They said that the $2 cable was better, but went on to say that there was more noise and grain which confused me as to the determination of "better" since I consider noise and graininess to be negative traits, grain being something that obscures details rather than bringing them out.

I absolutely agree the more expensive or nicer-looking cable doesn't make it better. The stock X1 cable is a testament to that; it looks and is built and incredible fashion, but when it comes to how it performs, it's bested by the 3.5mm cable I got with a monitor.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #5,759 of 5,962
All I can say, that about 0.8 Ohm impedance cable is very good with X1. Haven`t tried lower impedance "silver" etc cables but I think more graininess and harsh (X1 harsh? LOL NO WAY!) isn`t issue with X1. Yes, Tyll mentioned slightly grainy highs about X1 but I don`t hear anything grainy with my gear and cable paired with X1. I guess if You use bright sounding SS dac/amp with X1 and use really low-impedance cable, it might get somewhat grainier but I think it will be more from gear matchup than from cable. Heck, then stock ~2.5 Ohm cable might be even better choice to smooth out "harshness". But really - I think harshness won`t be an issue with X1, never ever. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #5,760 of 5,962
  All I can say, that about 0.8 Ohm impedance cable is very good with X1. Haven`t tried lower impedance "silver" etc cables but I think more graininess and harsh (X1 harsh? LOL NO WAY!) isn`t issue with X1. Yes, Tyll mentioned slightly grainy highs about X1 but I don`t hear anything grainy with my gear and cable paired with X1. I guess if You use bright sounding SS dac/amp with X1 and use really low-impedance cable, it might get somewhat grainier but I think it will be more from gear matchup than from cable. Heck, then stock ~2.5 Ohm cable might be even better choice to smooth out "harshness". But really - I think harshness won`t be an issue with X1, never ever. 

I didn't have any harshness issues after I changed out the cable. Changed it once, didn't bother any further than that. I'm satisfied with how the X1 sounds, no need to try any more cables on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back