[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Dec 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #5,117 of 5,962
Sad day, my X1s took a spill, and hit the ground gently, but hard enough, to break one of the plastic pins that hold the left ear cup in place.

Going to be talking to support to see about warranty and will keep you all updated.

That said: These pins are likely the weakest part of the headphone, be extra careful not to apply excessive pressure on them.

So glad I bought these RHA 750s.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #5,118 of 5,962
Use superglue to fix it.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #5,119 of 5,962
  Sad day, my X1s took a spill, and hit the ground gently, but hard enough, to break one of the plastic pins that hold the left ear cup in place.

Going to be talking to support to see about warranty and will keep you all updated.

That said: These pins are likely the weakest part of the headphone, be extra careful not to apply excessive pressure on them.

So glad I bought these RHA 750s

Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear about that. At least you have a backup for now.

What broke specifically? Was it the black plastic pin (has a flat-head notch) that holds the entire left ear assembly to the aluminum ring frame?

I wonder if we can easily replace that with an aluminum machine screw.  

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #5,120 of 5,962
I've just received some HD650's and have been a/b'ing them for a few days through a Geekout dac. I personally think they are pretty similar to the X1's having more bass like others have already stated. But difference in bass is considerable. I think the 650's have a slight edge in detail, and I mean slight. I prefer the X1's at the moment but want to spend a few more weeks comparing the two. I also have a geek pulse coming and I want to see how well the 650's scale with a better headphone amp. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #5,121 of 5,962
Does anyone have the Ultrasone Pro 900 to compare to the X1? I am looking for a fun, basshead headphone that also has a great soundstage and imaging. X2 is not an option since everyone says it has even less bass than the X1. How does X1 compare to famous basshead headphones like the Pro 900, old Denon D5000/D7000 etc? 

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #5,122 of 5,962
X1 should be best open "basshead" headphones available and that says pretty much everything. I personally don`t consider them as basshead HPs because with upgraded cable and proper matching amp/dac it can turn into pretty balanced sounding while still able to play deep powerful bass when recording gives/needs it.
If You wish to go open-design "basshead", then X1 is probably the way to go.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #5,123 of 5,962
  Does anyone have the Ultrasone Pro 900 to compare to the X1? I am looking for a fun, basshead headphone that also has a great soundstage and imaging. X2 is not an option since everyone says it has even less bass than the X1. How does X1 compare to famous basshead headphones like the Pro 900, old Denon D5000/D7000 etc? 

The Ultrasones PRO 900 were an impulse buy due to Amazon's amazing $200 deal at the time.

Anyways, I have compared the Ultrasones PRO 900 and the Vmoda M100. If you want gobs of bass, in a closed back...the Ultrasones PRO 900 are the best IMO. From memory (like 2 years ago?), the ultrasones sounded way too DARK for my tastes. I wasn't familiar with the different audio terms back then and wish I had it to compare it directly to my more recent headphones (Mad Dogs, Alpha Dogs, Fidelio X1)

That said, the X1 was another impulse buy at the amazing amazon price earlier this year. I was interested in open-back headphones and they fit very well for what I want....a great low-end, great open soundstage, without muffling the upper end. I listen on an Audio NFB-28 with a Geek Pulse Xfi coming soon. My FiiO E10 also sounds good, but prefer my Audio-gd.

TL;DR
You should get the X1, I believe you will get exactly what you are looking for. Amazon has been having a really good lightning sale (at least twice now) in the past two weeks for the X1 going for $179.99.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #5,124 of 5,962

The Ultrasones PRO 900 were an impulse buy due to Amazon's amazing $200 deal at the time.

Anyways, I have compared the Ultrasones PRO 900 and the Vmoda M100. If you want gobs of bass, in a closed back...the Ultrasones PRO 900 are the best IMO. From memory (like 2 years ago?), the ultrasones sounded way too DARK for my tastes. I wasn't familiar with the different audio terms back then and wish I had it to compare it directly to my more recent headphones (Mad Dogs, Alpha Dogs, Fidelio X1)

That said, the X1 was another impulse buy at the amazing amazon price earlier this year. I was interested in open-back headphones and they fit very well for what I want....a great low-end, great open soundstage, without muffling the upper end. I listen on an Audio NFB-28 with a Geek Pulse Xfi coming soon. My FiiO E10 also sounds good, but prefer my Audio-gd.

TL;DR
You should get the X1, I believe you will get exactly what you are looking for. Amazon has been having a really good lightning sale (at least twice now) in the past two weeks for the X1 going for $179.99.

I do love gobs of bass. I have TOTL headphones for critical listening like the HE-6 so I do not need any balanced sound at all. I just want to have fun and get a good head rattle in when I listen to hip hop and rap. I use my HE-6 when I want to relax and hear the nuances that make this hobby a joy. 

I use my Pro 900 (heavily modded to bring out even more bass) when I want to get going and get amped. The bass is thrilling, especially with the acoustic mods I've done so the bass does not reflect and escape through all of the S-Logic ports. I will try the X1 at your recommendation. I can get the X1 for $120 so I think that's  good deal. I am mainly looking for something that has similar amounts of bass as my Pro 900, but like you were saying, more refined and does not bleed into the mids and highs as much as the Ultrasones. It's also a big plus that they are open backs with this much meaty bass. I always thought that wasn't possible.  

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #5,125 of 5,962
I have both pro 900 and x1. Two of my favorites that I have kept after buying and selling MANY others.

The pro 900 is an EDM headphone. It has amazing fast bass, and sharp, clear clean highs. It's warm in the bass and bright in the treble at the same time. I've found I like to EQ the very top highs down a bit, to give it a touch smoother top end. But I also listen often without this EQ.

But yes, this is a sharp sounding headphone, that puts lots of detail out. It's an incredible headphone for EDM, and anyone who likes the genre MUST try it, IMHO. The tightness of the bass and punch is just fantastic.

The X1 is a great headphone as well. Comfort is excellent. Bass is deep and enjoyable. Highs not as sharp and extended and emphasized as in the Pro 900. Again, as great headphone for EDM. I actually use my Pro 900 short cable with the X1. It's my favorite cable I've found for the X1... the X1 also has a very nice soundstage.

The X1 isn't as fast, sharp, aggressive, and intense as the Ultra-sone. It's a smoother and more relaxing ride.

For bass-heads who can tolerate somewhat sharper highs, Pro 900 is a dream come true. Probably my favorite HP I've ever tried, including ones costing many times more. It is a unique sound, but boy is it fun.

The X1 is very special as well. If I had one annoyance, it flattens my hair (with that massive headband!) in a way I really hate, and I always have to adjust my hair after I'm done listening. But sound wise, incredible value for the price. I really think it's underpriced for the quality you get - both sound and comfort.

These are both headphones with a bass emphasis. The 900 has the highs emphasized. 

Try them both, both are excellent and well worth it. Not to mention, they aren't at all hard to drive either.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #5,126 of 5,962
  I have both pro 900 and x1. Two of my favorites that I have kept after buying and selling MANY others.

The pro 900 is an EDM headphone. It has amazing fast bass, and sharp, clear clean highs. It's warm in the bass and bright in the treble at the same time. I've found I like to EQ the very top highs down a bit, to give it a touch smoother top end. But I also listen often without this EQ.

But yes, this is a sharp sounding headphone, that puts lots of detail out. It's an incredible headphone for EDM, and anyone who likes the genre MUST try it, IMHO. The tightness of the bass and punch is just fantastic.

The X1 is a great headphone as well. Comfort is excellent. Bass is deep and enjoyable. Highs not as sharp and extended and emphasized as in the Pro 900. Again, as great headphone for EDM. I actually use my Pro 900 short cable with the X1. It's my favorite cable I've found for the X1... the X1 also has a very nice soundstage.

The X1 isn't as fast, sharp, aggressive, and intense as the Ultra-sone. It's a smoother and more relaxing ride.

For bass-heads who can tolerate somewhat sharper highs, Pro 900 is a dream come true. Probably my favorite HP I've ever tried, including ones costing many times more. It is a unique sound, but boy is it fun.

The X1 is very special as well. If I had one annoyance, it flattens my hair (with that massive headband!) in a way I really hate, and I always have to adjust my hair after I'm done listening. But sound wise, incredible value for the price.

These are both headphones with a bass emphasis. The 900 has the highs emphasized. 

Try them both, both are excellent and well worth it. Not to mention, they aren't at all hard to drive either.

Great impressions! I love the X1's, but I've always been interested in the Ultrasones after hearing my buddy's 2500's. But I am somewhat sensitive to sharper highs, so that's held me back. I'm interested in the 840's at the moment though. And on it goes!

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #5,127 of 5,962
Haha! I'm also interested in the 840 too! Great minds think alike. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back