[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #5,086 of 5,962
Also interested about E10K pairing with X1. Keep us updated! Pitty it doesn`t have line-in/amp only function otherwise would get it for my DX50 to test and for work PC.
And sorry if my recommendation of Aune X1 didn`t work out for You but I said that I haven`t listened it myself and my recommendation came based on other impressions found on internet. Of course audio stuff is subjective and what may work for one person, might not suit to other.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #5,087 of 5,962
  Also interested about E10K pairing with X1. Keep us updated! Pitty it doesn`t have line-in/amp only function otherwise would get it for my DX50 to test and for work PC.
And sorry if my recommendation of Aune X1 didn`t work out for You but I said that I haven`t listened it myself and my recommendation came based on other impressions found on internet. Of course audio stuff is subjective and what may work for one person, might not suit to other.

Granted, I only had the X1s for about a week with my E10K; however, to my own ears there were only subtle differences.

Maybe the bass was tightened ever so slightly, but as far as drastic changes don't expect any.

Although one caveat is that I only listened to a handful of FLACs and it's been a month since I last listened to them.

Looks like I won't know what the X2s sound like in comparison until November 13th.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #5,088 of 5,962
umm how do I check if my headphones are damaged?

I use my Audinst HUD-MX1 for both my X1 and Speakers (AE AegoM)

I usually max out the volume on the HUD-MX1 when I output to my speakers as my speakers has its own control knob
For my X1, I only turn the knob to 9 oclock... anything else it's too loud.

so there was this one time, I forgot that I set the HUD-MX1 to headphone output... so I maxed the volume and for a short moment, the X1 received full volume from the HUD-MX1...

the HUD-MX1 has a maximum out of 800mW

did I damage the headphones? :/ I turned the volume back down the moment I realised my mistake so it was probably only a split second

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #5,089 of 5,962

did I damage the headphones? :/ I turned the volume back down the moment I realised my mistake so it was probably only a split second

You can listen to them...

Do you notice any changes? New distortion? Different response? Imbalance between left and right?

Unless you have some test gear including a calibrated microphone.. I can't think of any other way to check them. But, I would think that you could tell just by listening.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #5,093 of 5,962

I use my Audinst HUD-MX1 for both my X1 and Speakers (AE AegoM)

I usually max out the volume on the HUD-MX1 when I output to my speakers as my speakers has its own control knob
For my X1, I only turn the knob to 9 oclock... anything else it's too loud.

so there was this one time, I forgot that I set the HUD-MX1 to headphone output... so I maxed the volume and for a short moment, the X1 received full volume from the HUD-MX1...

I did something similar with my X1amp. I cranked it up to 11 (usually leave it on 2) while on a silent track to see if there was any distortion at high volumes. I accidentally played the next song without turning it down.

I spent hours critically listening to make sure the headphones were still alright. Eventually I figured out that any distortion I thought I heard was due to the authoring of the music itself, not damage to the cans. They seem to be pretty resilient.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5,096 of 5,962
Shameless self-promotion.
tongue_smile.gif

I'm selling my X1, if anyone is interested.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #5,097 of 5,962
Does anybody know how I go about loosening the tension of the elastic inside the headband? I wear them and start with my ears in the center of the earcups, but after a few minutes, the earcups get pulled up with the bottom of the earpads latching onto my earlobes. I pull them down, then they slide back up again after a few minutes. I love the comfort of these 'phones when they're in the perfect position, but them sliding up makes me unable to use them for more than 1 hour.

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #5,098 of 5,962
  Does anybody know how I go about loosening the tension of the elastic inside the headband? I wear them and start with my ears in the center of the earcups, but after a few minutes, the earcups get pulled up with the bottom of the earpads latching onto my earlobes. I pull them down, then they slide back up again after a few minutes. I love the comfort of these 'phones when they're in the perfect position, but them sliding up makes me unable to use them for more than 1 hour.

The answer for that was discussed in this thread posts #1263 to #1270
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/1260#post_9422320

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #5,099 of 5,962
  The answer for that was discussed in this thread posts #1263 to #1270
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/1260#post_9422320

Thanks. I read that but I didn't want to do anything drastic such as cutting since the X1 is such a beautiful headphone, and my X1 is also just a week old so I would like to keep the warranty. We have horrible return policies here and I can't return the headphones just because they don't fit properly, so it's either I make them fit, or sell them off. Right now I'm leaning towards the latter.

I wonder if those two round and metal things with L and R on the leather headband can be removed? If they could, maybe I can replace the garter (I think) inside the headband with something more stretchy...

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #5,100 of 5,962
Hey guys,

Now that the Fidelio X1 has been out for somewhat over a year and a half, and with there having been a handful of FiiOs released this past year (E10K–July; E11K–August; E12A–October; please let me know if I've missed any), is there any general consensus on which FiiO best suits the X1?

I tried the E18 with my X1 earlier this year; it didn't sound bad, but I didn't notice enough of a sound difference to justify the $159 price tag, so I returned it. I'm curious if anyone's had any better luck with the E11K, E10K, or any other older or newer DACs and/or amps in this price range.

Is the DAC on the E10K the same as the DAC on the E18? Or is it better or worse?

Is the amp on the E11K the same as the amp on the E10K and/or E18? Or is it better or worse?

Quote:
  I went ahead and bought myself a E10K, since I heard it had a performance comparable to the Sabre. Being around the same price, I went ahead with the "known" brand, and it will be arriving shortly. If anyone's considering an E10K+Fidelio X1 combo, do tell me, as I'll write some impressions.

That would certainly be appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back