[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Nov 20, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #5,101 of 5,962
That would certainly be appreciated!

I've been busy at work as of late, so I completely forgot to write my impressions. Before I start, I'm the kind of guy who can't hear a difference in cables and can barely hear difference between FLAC and MP3 for the majority of music (even though my collection is all FLAC). Well, here I go:

The little guy is convenient. The line-out at the back is good for hooking up a stereo system. The E10k can be connected to Android via. USB OTG, and it's very portable. The amp has plenty of power, but not too much (I keep it at about 3 on the volume dial). The bass boost is fun, but with this headphone, it can be overpowering.
It sounds good, but don't expect great ASIO on it. Even ASIO4ALL struggles with buffer sizes. I can't hear much of a difference anyway, so I don't mind much.

About the sound, I can't hear much difference compared to the Creative X-FI XtremeMusic, but it does tighten everything up a bit. I tried the Aune X1 MK2, and it had similar effect (but that is double the price and extremely powerful).

I do recommend this product for the X1, since it seems to pair well (and it has a nice and low output impedance).

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #5,102 of 5,962
Foscot, I haven`t heard X2 personally but one user in that thread said that E10K isn`t good match for X2. It should be good enough but according to his comments Aune T1 is noticeably better than E10K. X2 and X1 aren`t very different and just wanted to note it out...

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5,104 of 5,962
I recently got the Ihifi 770 DAP, and I am very pleased with the synergy with most of my headphones. One notable pairing is with the X1 - no additional amp required, and the sound is amazing. The bass is tightened up and controlled very nicely, micro details abound, imaging and separation is wonderful, lovely timbre and musicality. I'm really loving it. 

The 770 has a lot of redeeming qualities (ie battery life, size, looks, different sounding HO's), but the UI might not be for everyone (all touch screen except for a pause/power button). Having said that, SQ is pretty sweet, and rocks with the X1!

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #5,105 of 5,962
Since it got to recommending DAP`s, then my recommendation would be DX50 with Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 Firmware.
Sounds almost good as my Aune T1 with upgraded ELNA SilmicII capacitors and Siemens E88CC grey shield goldpin tube :wink:
It uses same DAC decoding chip as mentioned DAP above - WM8740.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #5,106 of 5,962
What's the recommended aftermarket cable for the X1, pretty much any cheapo mini jack to mini jack will do? How does it pair with the Magni?

Also, how does the bass/subbass compare to those of the HD400/400i? I'm getting the X1 next week and can't wait to hear it myself :)

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #5,107 of 5,962
I did something similar with my X1amp. I cranked it up to 11 (usually leave it on 2) while on a silent track to see if there was any distortion at high volumes. I accidentally played the next song without turning it down.

I spent hours critically listening to make sure the headphones were still alright. Eventually I figured out that any distortion I thought I heard was due to the authoring of the music itself, not damage to the cans. They seem to be pretty resilient.

thanks! this is reassuring to hear :D

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5,108 of 5,962
What's the recommended aftermarket cable for the X1, pretty much any cheapo mini jack to mini jack will do?

Yes, most probably. I believe Philips included a high resistance cable deliberately, to make the bass a tad more boomy. I just cannot imagine them including a cable with unusually high resistance by accident, considering even extremely cheap cables do not have this issue.

As for myself, I am using a coiled cable from Sennheiser, sold as a replacement cable for the HD 215

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #5,109 of 5,962
  I believe Philips included a high resistance cable deliberately, to make the bass a tad more boomy. I just cannot imagine them including a cable with unusually high resistance by accident, considering even extremely cheap cables do not have this issue.

I think it`s not true because if You look at cable measurements done by many users, then quality is just very vary regarding impedance. 
Some stock cables are totally ok and under 1 Ohm impedance, some are around 3 Ohm which is certainly too much.

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #5,110 of 5,962
  I think it`s not true because if You look at cable measurements done by many users, then quality is just very vary regarding impedance. 
Some stock cables are totally ok and under 1 Ohm impedance, some are around 3 Ohm which is certainly too much.

You swear by the Aune right? It's on Massdrop right now and I'm debating picking it up

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #5,111 of 5,962
@ stock configuration it is not so good match for X1 (knowing what T1 can actually do
tongue.gif
) but it is still very good.
Upgrading capacitors + getting great sounding tube like Siemens E88CC will take it to another level.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #5,112 of 5,962
is the x1 worth now that the x2 is release?
I mean is there a big improvement overall to the x2 that make the x1 not good to buy?

with the x2 there are some nice deals on the x1 should someone get the x1 or save a little more for the x2

i'm interested in the Fidelio X?, but I don't know if I should save some money or wait to the x2 drop price, the real question is is the x2 worth more 100€ than the x1?

thanks, and sorry for bad grammar

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #5,113 of 5,962
  is the x1 worth now that the x2 is release?
I mean is there a big improvement overall to the x2 that make the x1 not good to buy?

with the x2 there are some nice deals on the x1 should someone get the x1 or save a little more for the x2

i'm interested in the Fidelio X?, but I don't know if I should save some money or wait to the x2 drop price, the real question is is the x2 worth more 100€ than the x1?

thanks, and sorry for bad grammar

As soon as the X2's came out, my X1's stopped working! So do not get the X1's!  Just kidding of course - my X1's still sound fantastic.

But your query is a good one, and I will be interested in the impressions from those who have heard both.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #5,114 of 5,962
Just got my X1 today, testing it now. The foam hole is barely large enough for my ears, and I don't have crazy big ears. Just a heads up for those with big ears, my ears are touching the top and bottom of the foam pad. The bass is a bit boomy using the stock cables so far (vs my 650), and the treble def has some boost to it, which is the U shaped sound signature I was looking for. Although the bass isn't as controlled and deep as the 400, feels like the bass boost is around mid-high bass rather than low/sub bass. Soundstage is rather large, much more improved from my 650. Going to do some more testing with a belkin aux cable http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-MIXIT-Flat-Auxilary-Cable/dp/B008V63D0Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417569892&sr=8-2&keywords=belkin+aux+cable+6+feet but so far the headphone doesn't disappoint, although I was kind of wishing it were more on par with the 400.

On a side note, anyone knows how many grams the headphone weighs? I know a lot of people says the headphone is supremely comfortable, but I think this is close to my threshold for a headphone that's too heavy. I had to sell my old 400 because it was 440g (I read somewhere the X1 was supposed to be 360g or so, but another source said it's more like 420).

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #5,115 of 5,962
I've been using the udac2 with these. Thinking about upgrading since I'm noticing a loss of quality at higher volumes. Looking at the Asgard 2, would that be a good amp for these headphones? How about dac recommendations? Was looking at the Modi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back