[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 17, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #4,606 of 5,962
Howdy, and welcome to the forums!
I've tried the X1's out of a $40 sound card, and a $750 DAC/amp... and they didn't sound much different. The great thing about these headphones is that they sound pretty dang good out of any source, but don't scale up too much. I think you'll be fine with your STX, worst case you can upgrade later.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #4,607 of 5,962
hey thx for quick reply :) this forum is great 

thats all i wanted to hear really, and that $750 Dac/Amp is wayyy out of my league anyway so im kinda glad it doesnt make much difference  hehe.
size]

also looking few posts back from the guy who bought used pair and he said that even on onboard soundcard 
he was impressed.I personally think that STX is night and day compared to onboard i tested it myself when i got mine.( i dont have high end mobo but its midrange lets say and its no way near STX. Z87 chipset)

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #4,608 of 5,962
Man I bought at the right time!

New price last week was $232 on amazon now it is $267!  (Yeah I missed the $149 sale in Jan, though)
The "used" prices went up ~$15 too!

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #4,609 of 5,962
  hey thx for quick reply :) this forum is great 

thats all i wanted to hear really, and that $750 Dac/Amp is wayyy out of my league anyway so im kinda glad it doesnt make much difference  hehe.
size]

also looking few posts back from the guy who bought used pair and he said that even on onboard soundcard 
he was impressed.I personally think that STX is night and day compared to onboard i tested it myself when i got mine.( i dont have high end mobo but its midrange lets say and its no way near STX. Z87 chipset)

You should also try cheapo ELE EL-D02 with X1 and change the caps on it for SilmicII`s or KZ Muse`s ...just if You are bored. It`s pretty good match, especially for that money imho :wink:

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #4,611 of 5,962
Has anyone paired the X1s with a DX90? I think they have pretty good synergy. I feel the X1 does scale up somewhat (def not as much as Sennheiser cans etc) with better sources. Maybe it's also the effect of burn in...

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #4,612 of 5,962
Should receive my DX50 in about 2 weeks I hope (US > EU) and will post impressions :wink: DX50 is with different DAC chip though.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #4,613 of 5,962
I got bored, so......

Let The Modding Began

Pad Removal:

The process is fairly simple. Choose an area of the pad (I started by the mini jack) and slowly apply upward pulling the pad away from the driver. Depending on the amount of glue applied to the easily damaged tabs on the driver housing, you may want to use an exacto knife to cut away some of the fabric material that stuck to them as you work you way around the pad.

If you are not careful and decide to forgo cutting some fabric around them, you may end up with a broken tab...... like me 
mad.gif

Note: Removing excess glue on the taps will make reassembly a little easier.

Removing The Driver From The Cup

Remove 4 screws

The driver pretty much falls out of the cup once the screws are removed

Lets See How We Can Improve The Wire/Connector Situation:

After checking a few things out and taking some measurements, I figured that I should be able to fit a four pin mini XLR in place of the mini jack with a little bit of assistance from my a old friend Dermel. The only real problem I see I going to be be trying to fit two strands of 28 AWG wire through that tiny port to feed to the right driver.

Part two coming soon

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #4,614 of 5,962
@ bizkit,

Ooh~modding.  I hope it comes out well!  Too newbish (and afraid in general) to do anything to mine...maybe when I find a new primary HP, i'll take a stab at it then.

Questions:

1.   Why are you changing the jack input i. e. what benefits are you looking for?
2.   What else are you going to mod?

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #4,616 of 5,962
  @ bizkit,

Ooh~modding.  I hope it comes out well!  Too newbish (and afraid in general) to do anything to mine...maybe when I find a new primary HP, i'll take a stab at it then.

Questions:

1.   Why are you changing the jack input i. e. what benefits are you looking for?
2.   What else are you going to mod?

Cheers!

1. Boredom, that's the only real reason. I'm not looking for any real gains/improvements; I paid $160 for the X1's, I got the itch to use my soldering iron, and I happen to have a mini xlr's sitting around.

2. Haven't put much thought into it yet, but I'm open to suggestions.

Let me know if you decide to go for a pad swap, bizkit. I want to know what I could replace my pads with when they finally give. ******* Philips.

I'll order a few different pair to see If I can make them work.

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #4,618 of 5,962
Purchased a USB sound blaster OMNI 5.1 surround today.  It has the same 600 Ohm Maxim MAX97220 AMP as the sound blaster Z.  When it comes in I will try it out and let you guys know how I like it on the X1.

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #4,619 of 5,962
  I think there is plenty of videos in internet how to use multimeter :wink:

Probably no. You just shouldn`t use such high-impedance cable like my stock X1 cable is. But then again, if you like warmer & looser sound or it fits better for your source, then stock cable is also ok.

Now guys & girls, lets talk again about X1. Has anyone done their own custom pads for X1`s. I don`t mean just change for beyers or some other but totally custom ones? I`m planning to do my own velours probably.

What type of source, would a higher impedance cable work well with?  Does it cause your amp to see a higher ohm headphone?  IE instead of 32 ohm maybe it sees 35ohm?

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #4,620 of 5,962
  I got bored, so......

Let The Modding Began

Pad Removal:

The process is fairly simple. Choose an area of the pad (I started by the mini jack) and slowly apply upward pulling the pad away from the driver. Depending on the amount of glue applied to the easily damaged tabs on the driver housing, you may want to use an exacto knife to cut away some of the fabric material that stuck to them as you work you way around the pad.

If you are not careful and decide to forgo cutting some fabric around them, you may end up with a broken tab...... like me 
mad.gif

Note: Removing excess glue on the taps will make reassembly a little easier.

Removing The Driver From The Cup

Remove 4 screws

The driver pretty much falls out of the cup once the screws are removed

Lets See How We Can Improve The Wire/Connector Situation:

After checking a few things out and taking some measurements, I figured that I should be able to fit a four pin mini XLR in place of the mini jack with a little bit of assistance from my a old friend Dermel. The only real problem I see I going to be be trying to fit two strands of 28 AWG wire through that tiny port to feed to the right driver.

Part two coming soon

I can only say "WOW".   I have neither the expertise or the bravery to take on such a task.   I'd be afraid to ruin my phones.   Still, I'm curious about your endeavor even though I certainly will never be undertaking such a task.   Please keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back