[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 31, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #4,516 of 5,962
I tried my X1 with iFi iDSD which is a DAC/Headphone amp. iDSD has more than enough power to drive X1 well. So, I assumed Fiio X5 and DX50/90 will have drive the X1 well, too. Anyone has tried the X1 with Fiio X5 and/or iBasso DX50/90, please share your experiences.

May 31, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #4,517 of 5,962
^ it should drive them pretty good.
Even the Clip+ drives them fine.
These are not hard to drive, almost anything can power them well.
Synergy is another matter but those DAPs should be ok.

May 31, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #4,519 of 5,962
Well, I've had a pretty frustrating time with the Aune X1 Pro pairing. From what I can tell, there is no way to change the gain.. which becomes a problem with the Fidelio X1 because it's so easy to drive. You really can't have the volume nob higher than the 2 mark without becoming uncomfortably loud (that's 2 out of 24). With this particular DAC/AMP the left/right channels are very unbalanced at such low levels, making your left driver louder (I've been told this is common?). Does the Aune T1 exhibit this same problem? 

That's going to drive me mad.. 

Edit: Still troubleshooting my setup... (I haven't found a solution yet, but I'm also not yet giving up hope)

May 31, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #4,520 of 5,962
  Well, I've had a pretty frustrating time with the Aune X1 Pro pairing. From what I can tell, there is no way to change the gain.. which becomes a problem with the Fidelio X1 because it's so easy to drive. You really can't have the volume nob higher than the 2 mark without becoming uncomfortably loud (that's 2 out of 24). With this particular DAC/AMP the left/right channels are very unbalanced at such low levels, making your left driver louder (I've been told this is common?). Does the Aune T1 exhibit this same problem? 

That's going to drive me mad.. 

Lower your Windows volume.... problem fixed.

May 31, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #4,521 of 5,962

I live in Malaysia so there is a local dealer than sells the Aune X1 Pro here - http://www.lelong.com.my/aune-x1-pro-dac-headphone-amp-pre-amp-24bit-192-khz-dsd-starspicker-143309840-2015-01-Sale-P.htm

There's a reason why we use a dedicated amp with any sort of soundcard. It's simple, you always want the volume from Windows/soundcard to be at 100% and you control the volume through an external amp. That's what I'm doing and if you search the Creative SBZ/Zx/ZxR thread, that's what everyone is doing there too.

As for playing music, I always set my music player (MusicBee) to playback in WASAPI/ASIO. Doesn't matter what the soundcard is set to, it'll always bypass the DSP/EQ/other non-sensical enhancements.

Lower your Windows volume.... problem fixed.

I guess I'm confused now... When you said you leave it at 100% that wasn't actually the case? 

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #4,522 of 5,962
xDezor, please tell us exactly what software You are using and what output plugin? WASAPI, ASIO or KSP? Also make sure every bit of software effects and amping is turned off. It`s not normal how Your volume settings are set up. I`m pretty sure there is something wrong in Your software/OS setup not X1 Pro. With Aune T1 I can go 1/3 of vol knob (not being overly loud) with ASIO output level from mixer set to 100% and Aune T1 set to +10dB gain. With +0dB gain I can go max about 3/4 on vol knob. So, I think issue must be in Your setup/OS.

With this particular DAC/AMP the left/right channels are very unbalanced at such low levels, making your left driver louder (I've been told this is common?).

Yes, at very low levels vol pot acts like this. It`s normal. It`s not normal only with X1, Aune T1 and other DAC/Amps using this type vol pots act same at very low vol levels.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #4,523 of 5,962

I guess I'm confused now... When you said you leave it at 100% that wasn't actually the case? 

Yes, I personally do leave my Windows volume at 100% at all times. I drive the X1 off the X1 Pro at around 10 o'clock as my comfortable listening level, so personally I don't have an issue with not having gain control on the X1 Pro. I do understand your issue however, that's why I suggested just lowering the volume on Windows as a fix.

Just like CoiL explained, potentionmeters always have channel imbalance under 9'oclock. Some really good pots can go as low as 8' before having any channel imbalancing issues, but generally most will be fine after 9.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #4,525 of 5,962
Hello all,

Just chiming in about my recent Fidelio X1 purchase. I bought them "Used - Like New" from Amazon Warehousedeals. You can get them in various degrees of condition including: Used - Good ($171), Used - Very Good ($177), and Used - Like New ($180).

Anyway, the Like New really is as is it described. I couldn't tell the difference from a brand new set. See pics below. The only blemishes I could see was on the box itself. One corner was slightly dented and there was a small 1.5 cm hole on the side. The headphones are in perfect condition. Just thought I'd share my experience since you can save a bit by browsing the Warehousedeals. Prime shipping too!

BTW, I measured the resistance of the cable. 1.8 ohms, so no change there.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #4,527 of 5,962
  so i use my x1 with an e17, how much better can it get with a better amp? the major areas where i think the x1 needs improvement is the treble and resolution/detail.

I wouldn't say better, but rather a different sound that balances the X1 out more. After going through 5 DACs (X1 Pro, E17, Schiit Modi, O2, T1), I found the X1 Pro to be best suit for the X1, personally. You can read my impressions a few pages back, but generally the boost of energy into the treble and tightening of the bass is what seals the deal for me.

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #4,528 of 5,962

I wouldn't say better, but rather a different sound that balances the X1 out more. After going through 5 DACs (X1 Pro, E17, Schiit Modi, O2, T1), I found the X1 Pro to be best suit for the X1, personally. You can read my impressions a few pages back, but generally the boost of energy into the treble and tightening of the bass is what seals the deal for me.

I can't buy the X1 pro in my country, but I can get the T1.

In what areas does the X1 scale up with the T1?

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #4,529 of 5,962
Hello all,

Just chiming in about my recent Fidelio X1 purchase. I bought them "Used - Like New" from Amazon Warehousedeals. You can get them in various degrees of condition including: Used - Good ($171), Used - Very Good ($177), and Used - Like New ($180).

Anyway, the Like New really is as is it described. I couldn't tell the difference from a brand new set. See pics below. The only blemishes I could see was on the box itself. One corner was slightly dented and there was a small 1.5 cm hole on the side. The headphones are in perfect condition. Just thought I'd share my experience since you can save a bit by browsing the Warehousedeals. Prime shipping too!

BTW, I measured the resistance of the cable. 1.8 ohms, so no change there.

That's how i got my second pair of x1 and got a pretty much brand new one for about $60 less. Enjoy your phones

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #4,530 of 5,962
Hello all,

This is not true for every headphone. I bought a pair of Onkyo ES-FC300 once from Amazon Warehouse and it was used, but the left channel kept cutting out because the connector was loose. I also heard consistent crinkling noises either from the diaphragm or the enclosure - but probably the latter. Some equipment fare better than others. Returning the headphones is inconvenient, as any return to an e-vendor is, but all you need is a printer and patience. There's no Prime shipping for returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back