[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #4,381 of 5,962
  What are the main differences and why You like X1 more? Would be interesting to know :wink:

Saw this now. Honestly, I love both and can't pick a winner.

Bass - goes to the D2000. goes lower and sounds deeper and harder. X1 rolls off quicker and the bass is more fluid than solid.

Mid-range - goes to the X1. although it's warm, it sounds very natural. voices sound great though they can be a bit thick. very present mids. d2000 has recessed mids. they sound clinical rather than lush and warm.

Treble - goes to the D2000, lively bright treble but non fatiguing at the same time. rarely sibilant. the X1 has subdued treble. they sound good and natural but I wish they had a bit more sparkle. you lose out at some details due to this. its never sibilant though.

Soundstage & Instrument Separation - this is where the X1's absolutely beat the D2000. due to the open design and overall signature, you can hear every distinct sound separately. as opposed to the d2000 where many sounds mush together to give it a more "full" sound. positioning and imaging is also better on the X1, greatly due to the open design I think.

Comfort - tie - maybe a small edge to the X1, both are comfortable. X1's can get you itchy ears after a while. D2000 can get you sweaty ears after a while. headband is better on the X1, so is earcup space. overall can use both for quite a while. I have a small head though and wear glasses.

They compliment each other well. Probably the best open and closed headphones in the ~300 range for non-extreme bassheads. I also have the dt770 which does a few things better but they hardly get use since I got these two.

May 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #4,382 of 5,962
  Are You sure that Your laptop has no software processing effects turned on? X1 actually don`t have much soundstage extension going behind head but it still has it in good amount (enough for me). X1 has kind of - shaped soundstage. But LOT depends on DAC being used. For example I have some tubes with very large soundstage but on X1 they do not make it reach so far behind head as with my modded HD-681. X1 has very large open soundstage and extends more towards front ( in a good way) imo. I think maybe Your laptop integrated soundcard has "hit the wall" and can`t "paint" so much foward-depth, hence, You feel it too far back on your head.

But maybe You are just experiencing first time proper soundstage and You need to get used to it? :)
Chesky tracks have much reverb/echo and room/air going on. I think those tracks sound great with X1.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just needed confirmation that this wasn't something by design. If you haven't found flaws, I'm sure it's just my source/ears. I just didn't want to see everyone jump in and say "oh, yeah, come to think of it mine does that too!".

I must admit, my concerns may be a bit premature. I'm traveling at the moment and I only have a crappy HP netbook/laptop to test with (and a phone). After investigating the laptop a little further it appears that it treats the audio-out as both a speaker/headphone source - and I can't change it to just headphone - so it may be doing some audio processing, or at least be configured incorrectly for true positional sound. This doesn't really concern me as it will be replaced relatively soon.

I won't have access to my desktop until I get back in a week. That should be a much fairer test as it's supposed to have semi-decent onboard audio (motherboard is an Asus Maximus V Gene). Then I'll be able to load up Counter-Strike: Source and see what's really going on with the 3D sound.

In the interim I've loaded a couple of tracks onto my HTC One to listen to. It doesn't seem to suffer from the same negative depth issues as my netbook - or at least not to the same degree. 

And you are right, it honestly could just be my ears. I was using a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's almost exclusively for the last 9 years without any other headphone sources to compare it to. I've read that they don't have a particularly good soundstage, if at all. Maybe this will take some time. 

May 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #4,383 of 5,962
Hi, I've found the Till's review about the X1. I've not yet read all this thread and I have a,maybe probably, stupid question : dis anyone dared to use the X1 as portable can (sitting in the train not to much walking) with a Dap like DX50? Thanks

May 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #4,384 of 5,962
X1 leak sound a lot and also You can hear outside sounds well if listening on low volume.

May 6, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #4,386 of 5,962
There's another issue about using the X1 out in the public - dirt.

The X1's pads are not easily replaced and because they are velour they are a dust magnet. Not to mention it doesn't sit well with sweat and who knows what other sort of dirt. I'd never use the X1 in the public.

May 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #4,388 of 5,962
Ah ok...I was searching for good headphones to pair with my Dx50 to listen to
jazz, pop, rock with a good bass (but without being dark or confused)

Oh don't be mistaken, the X1 is brilliant for pop and rock. Jazz too with its slightly laid back signature. But I just don't think the X1 should be used outside of the house, you don't want to dirty these fantastic looking cans. It's like a Bentley you want to keep at home, you know. :D

May 6, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #4,389 of 5,962
I think I've found the best amp/DAC combo under $200 for the Fidelio X1. I've just got the Aune X1 Pro (ironic how they have X1 in their names lol) and I'm literally floored by how good these things drive the X1. Goodness me, the Aune is something of an unheard of gem!

That slightly boomy bass that so many people wants to have less of and more control, the bass is presented really well with the Aune X1 Pro. There's added texture, more impact and less boominess. The mids that people want to be slightly forward and more engaging, the X1 Pro gives without any issues. Then the X1 pro continues to add even more energy to the trebles without nessassarily making the cans brighter.

Soundstage does take a slight step back, but I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff considering the other improvements in other areas.

I've just been listening for 40 minutes and this is based off a comparison to the popular FiiO E17+E09k stack and Modi & Magni stack, I'm already more impressed with the Aune X1 Pro than those both are. Stunning stuff.

May 6, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #4,390 of 5,962
Ah ok...I was searching for good headphones to pair with my Dx50 to listen to
jazz, pop, rock with a good bass (but without being dark or confused)

Oh don't be mistaken, the X1 is brilliant for pop and rock. Jazz too with its slightly laid back signature. But I just don't think the X1 should be used outside of the house, you don't want to dirty these fantastic looking cans. It's like a Bentley you want to keep at home, you know. :D

Thanks for the information ;D I'll go to try the Bentley nevertheless

May 6, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #4,391 of 5,962
  I think I've found the best amp/DAC combo under $200 for the Fidelio X1. I've just got the Aune X1 Pro (ironic how they have X1 in their names lol) and I'm literally floored by how good these things drive the X1. Goodness me, the Aune is something of an unheard of gem!

That slightly boomy bass that so many people wants to have less of and more control, the bass is presented really well with the Aune X1 Pro. There's added texture, more impact and less boominess. The mids that people want to be slightly forward and more engaging, the X1 Pro gives without any issues. Then the X1 pro continues to add even more energy to the trebles without nessassarily making the cans brighter.

Soundstage does take a slight step back, but I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff considering the other improvements in other areas.

I've just been listening for 40 minutes and this is based off a comparison to the popular FiiO E17+E09k stack and Modi & Magni stack, I'm already more impressed with the Aune X1 Pro than those both are. Stunning stuff.

Reading Your impressions, I find Aune T1 even better option. But of course, finding great tube for personal taste with X1 might get expensive. Luckily I have Siemens E88CC grey shield gold pins, five of them ;P Probably Aune X1 Pro is less hassle but I personally don`t want any step back regarding the soundstage. Many already have said T1 being better than Modi+Magni and now X1 Pro also? Seems Aune has pushed on the right button. Pity that their products are underestimated.

May 6, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #4,392 of 5,962

Reading Your impressions, I find Aune T1 even better option. But of course, finding great tube for personal taste with X1 might get expensive. Luckily I have Siemens E88CC grey shield gold pins, five of them ;P Probably Aune X1 Pro is less hassle but I personally don`t want any step back regarding the soundstage. Many already have said T1 being better than Modi+Magni and now X1 Pro also? Seems Aune has pushed on the right button. Pity that their products are underestimated.

Yes, the T1 is an even better option due to the ability to expand on rolling different tubes. But the X1 Pro's competitor isn't the T1 though.
After another hour of listening, the slight stepback in soundstage is starting to kick in so that's the minor downpoint for me on the X1 Pro. It's not a huge stepback and it doesn't suddenly make the X1 sound claustrophobic. Perhaps I can change its op-amps to something else... hmm.

The variety of inputs (optical, coax, USB, RCA in, pre-amp out) it has is a great plus though. It's a very nice all-in-one that should do the job for many just starting out their audiophile journey.

May 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #4,393 of 5,962
Returning my X1's today, just thought I'd post and give my two cents.

It was the first open can I had ever experienced, and I guess it's just really not for me. They sound okay, but I prefer the sound of my DT770 pro. 

-Non replaceable ear pads. I really like that security blanket with the Beyers, pretty much everything can be swapped out, not so with the X1
-Sound leakage turned out to be something that I was really self conscious about, I like the privacy of closed cans
-Compared to the Beyers, they just never seemed to get all that loud. I guess it's to be expected, but I wanted to hear them for myself to see if it was really noticable, and to me it is.

Also, I should mention that I did swap the cable out for a S-Flex mini, and I literally heard no difference. 

May 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,394 of 5,962
Did You use any amping with X1 and did You use stock cable? Imho they need somekind of amp + better cable (depends on impedance measurements), which improves bass & kick tightness . But yeah, leaking sound and non-replaceable pads are minus for many. About tighter vs. open soundstage - it all about personal taste. I personally prefer large soundstage with better laid out/separated instruments and imaging for creating more live concert feeling.

May 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #4,395 of 5,962
Hi all,

I recently got myself an X1 for cheap from a headphone shop because it was preowned for 1 day - the previous owner bought it but ended up not liking the sound. When I heard it I really enjoyed it. I replaced the stock cable with some generic 3.5mm cable and it did tighten up the bass and improve the mids slightly.

I've got a question for X1 owners (and believers of burn in) - how long did it take to burn in for you to hear differences in the sound, and what are these differences? I've noticed some have said the soundstage improved after burn in and was wondering if anything else changed? 

I'm currently burning it in now. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back