[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Apr 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #4,246 of 5,962

Good to hear you enjoy your headphone.
Anyway, If you ever have the oppertunity to try a dac/amp or money to spend on one, do it. It might amaze you that they can sound even better.
Had same experience myself (with other headphones); thought they where all I needed (and they where since I didn't knew better), until I tried them with a dac/amp. Blew me away what such improvement can make a difference.

I believe it. It's on my wishlist but it'll be some time. I'm not sure if I should just get a new soundcard with a headphone amp or a desktop one. But they do sound fantastic even without one.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #4,247 of 5,962
  Hi guys, I'm buying a X1 soon and already have a 2009 mixamp pro. I mostly use it with my AD700 in FPS games with awesome results, but I'm looking for an improved immersion solution while playing single player games.

I don't much care about music, but I love playing games and watching movies.

For those that already own a X1 and play games on it, would I need to invest in an extra amp to use it properly (plus my mixamp) or the mixamp alone is enough? I'm looking at Fiio E12 or E09...but if it just improves the experience marginally, I don't know if it's justified to spend an extra 100 bucks in one of those.

Thoughts?

I find the X1 fairly good enough with the Mixamp alone. Wouldn't suggest the E09k on its own though, as the X1 are somewhat sensitive headphones. That 10ohm output impedance on the E09 will muddy the bass on the X1, something that you will not want considering it is on the edge of being a little too boomy already.

I'd suggest an E12 or E17, whichever you can get for under $100 if you need the amp. I honestly prefer the E12 off the X1, as the E17 is a touch too warm for the already warm-sounding X1. You would need to actually EQ the bass to -2 on the E17 to keep the mids from being too recessed.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #4,248 of 5,962

I've had my X1s for about a month now. I game regularly. I have had no need for an amp. They sound fantastic with a great soundstage with just my onboard sound. I've been playing League of Legends, Diablo 3, Counter Strike: GO primarily. Sound is excellent. 

My onboard sound is pretty good but no amp. I still want one eventually but I sometimes listen to music while I play and it's more for that than the games.

I mostly game on a console, that's why I bought the mixamp way back, so a good soundcard is not an option in my case :D

I find the X1 fairly good enough with the Mixamp alone. Wouldn't suggest the E09k on its own though, as the X1 are somewhat sensitive headphones. That 10ohm output impedance on the E09 will muddy the bass on the X1, something that you will not want considering it is on the edge of being a little too boomy already.

I'd suggest an E12 or E17, whichever you can get for under $100 if you need the amp. I honestly prefer the E12 off the X1, as the E17 is a touch too warm for the already warm-sounding X1. You would need to actually EQ the bass to -2 on the E17 to keep the mids from being too recessed.

Did you have a chance to test the X1 with a Fiio and a mixamp linked together while gaming? Any noticeable difference in sound quality, detail, sound stage, immersion?

I don't object investing an extra 100 in my sound setup, mind you, just want to make sure it's needed and worth it. I do intend to buy a Q701 in a couple years and I understand they need a good amp to drive them, I guess I want the amp to serve a purpose right now - if needed -  instead of being shelved away for the next 24 months or so.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #4,249 of 5,962

Did you have a chance to test the X1 with a Fiio and a mixamp linked together while gaming? Any noticeable difference in sound quality, detail, sound stage, immersion?

I don't object investing an extra 100 in my sound setup, mind you, just want to make sure it's needed and worth it. I do intend to buy a Q701 in a couple years and I understand they need a good amp to drive them, I guess I want the amp to serve a purpose right now - if needed -  instead of being shelved away for the next 24 months or so.

I do have the X1 to an E17 to a TB DSS (of which is a lot less powerful than the Mixamp).
But previously, I didn't see the need to get anything ontop of the Mixamp with the X1. The E17/E12 helps, but IMO isn't enough to warrant a $100 purchase.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #4,250 of 5,962
  Those who wants another form of epic, listen to Thomas Bergersen's Illusions. I guarantee, you WILL NOT be dissapointed with the X1.

About 1 minute in a huge grin formed on my face. Bravo. 
biggrin.gif
 The American Beauty soundtrack was pretty epic as well. 

Wow, the bass on X1 is great! On the 9th second when the sub-bass hits ( http://music.zackhemsey.com/track/remember-me-instrumental ), these cans are able to play it out. Even my external speakers subwoofer is dead quiet at that part.
Don`t get me wrong, I still think X1 is not a bass-head can but it has such ability to go very deep with bass while maintaining immerse large soundstage, clarity, separation and all that without being boomy-overly-bassy cans.
Just great! ;P

Nice! Going along those same lines of playing with sub-bass: KOAN Sound - Wide Open. It's pretty fun to feel your headphones vibrate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weor6kZWj6Y&list=PLfq2th1kP9i5g0JWjiQMLWKxSlr7HR0VS&index=15

(I just noticed that my laptop can't even play either of these bassy songs. Well that's lame...  I swear they work with other sources! haha... )

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #4,251 of 5,962
Anyway, If you ever have the oppertunity to try a dac/amp or money to spend on one, do it. It might amaze you that they can sound even better.
Had same experience myself (with other headphones); thought they where all I needed (and they where since I didn't knew better), until I tried them with a dac/amp. Blew me away what such improvement can make a difference.

What amp-dac are you using? Been thinking about getting the schiit vali/modi combo or the o2 dac/amp

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #4,252 of 5,962

What amp-dac are you using? Been thinking about getting the schiit vali/modi combo or the o2 dac/amp

Myself I'm using the FiiO E10. Although I haven't compared them with another, I still can judge sound and to me they do a amazing job.
Chose them because of their good quality-price ratio (based on the many reviews).
Using a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm) and Philips Fidelio S2 with them.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #4,253 of 5,962

I believe it. It's on my wishlist but it'll be some time. I'm not sure if I should just get a new soundcard with a headphone amp or a desktop one. But they do sound fantastic even without one.

Just keep enjoying it. Onboard soundcards aren't that bad at all. If it's a choice between soundcard (withown amp/dac) or just desktop amp/dac, I would choose the last one. I did actualy, then a year or so later bought a soundcard, just wanted to know. Comparing, the desktop version is better. Although it depence on wich one you buy, it's relativly cheaper to buy a desktop amp/dac. Your onboard soundcard is good enough so you don't need the extra features the separate soundcard will offer and wich you pay for. In stead, use that money fully on the dac/amp, or save a part for, I don't know, a couple drinks?

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #4,254 of 5,962
Hey guys quick question, my X1's will be arriving tomorrow and I cannot wait! I bought them along with the boom pro mic and an astro mixamp. Will I need to purchase any additional cables or splitters to get everything up and running before they arrive or will all necessary cables be included with the mixamp to get me rolling? Thanks on advance. Really looking forward to these.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #4,255 of 5,962
@mighty:

Perhaps duplicate your post in MLE's thread (take it you're a console player, therefore that is the correct place for your post): http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-3-29-2014-ultrasone-hs-15-added-edits/22770#post_10442965

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #4,257 of 5,962

About 1 minute in a huge grin formed on my face. Bravo. 
biggrin.gif
 The American Beauty soundtrack was pretty epic as well. 

Nice! Going along those same lines of playing with sub-bass: KOAN Sound - Wide Open. It's pretty fun to feel your headphones vibrate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weor6kZWj6Y&list=PLfq2th1kP9i5g0JWjiQMLWKxSlr7HR0VS&index=15

(I just noticed that my laptop can't even play either of these bassy songs. Well that's lame...  I swear they work with other sources! haha... )

Thx for making me discover that song! Very nice, currently listening with my almost broken earbuds, so can't wait to listen at home with proper material. 

Maybe in the close future on the X1!

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #4,258 of 5,962
I'm having a few problems with understanding soundstage, could anyone link/tell me some songs that can best show the SS with the X1s?

I've been rockin' these guys for a while now, mostly straight from my IPC, they are some piece of kit!

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #4,259 of 5,962
  I'm having a few problems with understanding soundstage, could anyone link/tell me some songs that can best show the SS with the X1s?

I've been rockin' these guys for a while now, mostly straight from my IPC, they are some piece of kit!

Hmmm... other than playing games, perhaps you might want to listen to an ochestra? I personally use Xenogear's Myth ochestra album. Puts a smile on my face everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back