[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Apr 3, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #4,216 of 5,962
Apr 3, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #4,217 of 5,962
Also agree and I really do not consider X1 as bass-head cans. It has very musical & dynamic sounding signature and only slight extension in lows - a thing that`s often required by many home-listeners, so it wouldn`t sound too flat, dry, analytical and cold.
It is "fun" to listen. For my ears X1 has similar sound signature to HD-681 (mkII filter modded / angled custom velour pads) but X1 has larger soundstage, better depth & imaging. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #4,219 of 5,962
About build quality of X1 - it`s rock-solid imho. The headband is very strong and you can bend it hard in every direction needed. Pads are from memory-foam and very good quality, although I have to also admit that they collect dust / fiber particles easily. 
For my small ears I feel pads to be littlebit too deep and probably will do custom pads for my X1 but not so sure yet, got to let foam to settle in properly. X1 are most comfortable cans I`ve tried yet. You put them on head and forget fast that you are wearing headphones.
The design, comfort and "fun" spacious sound is main reasons why I decided to get them and I`m happy with my decision :wink:

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #4,220 of 5,962
  About build quality of X1 - it`s rock-solid imho. The headband is very strong and you can bend it hard in every direction needed. Pads are from memory-foam and very good quality, although I have to also admit that they collect dust / fiber particles easily. 
For my small ears I feel pads to be littlebit too deep and probably will do custom pads for my X1 but not so sure yet, got to let foam to settle in properly. X1 are most comfortable cans I`ve tried yet. You put them on head and forget fast that you are wearing headphones.
The design, comfort and "fun" spacious sound is main reasons why I decided to get them and I`m happy with my decision :wink:

beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #4,221 of 5,962
  Got to burn-in these cans and let the memory-foam settle for my head but first impressions are pretty much same as Mike in headfonia review hints:

That says pretty much about what tube to get for Aune T1 :wink:
I will share impressions about tubes after getting some time to play with X1 But my Siemens E88CC grey plate O-ring getter gold pins & Amperex 6DJ8 OG GAC are pretty good match for this combo. First one for basically every genre and second for rock/metal/progressive/jazz.

Hmmm... my experience with a tube amp on the X1 wasn't particularly a good one.

While I didn't try the ALO Pan Am, I did try the X1 with a Aune T1 and the Schiit Valhalla. Keep in mind, both were on stock tubes as I didn't had any other on hand at that time to tube roll.
What I found with the T1 is that while the mids did become a little more forward, I seemingly hear distortion in the bass. This is very apparent to me during Nightwish's Storytime, especially for the first 20 seconds of the song where there are plenty of instruments mixed in with lots bass and drums. I hear distortion and it wasn't something that is minute, it's there.

For the Valhalla, I was replaying Dead Space 1&2 and everytime there was a necromorph breaking out of a vent, I hear distortion. It's weird.

So perhaps, I'll be looking forward to your impressions  on the E8CC and Amperex 6DJ8. Would like to give tube amps another go with the X1.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #4,222 of 5,962
Keep in mind that Aune T1 is not tube amp - it is SS DAC with tube buffer + SS amp. And My aune T1 is recapped with ELNA SilmicII`s which made soundstage larger, boosted mids, tightened bass and tinybit smoothed highs.

Stock 6922EH tube is mainly good only for electronic atmospheric music/ EDM / Dubstep etc. and it has quite loose bass in stock Aune T1 configuration. Also 6922EH tubes seem to have problems with durability, maybe your tube was going bad and thats why some distortion. Anyway can`t hear any distortion with 6922EH tube + X1, no matter what genre.
And I`m using Aune T1 with my X1 @ +10dB gain setting. Atm listening to Animals as Leaders with Siemens E88CC and no distortion either. Instead hearing great tight bass and kick. But this tube has sometimes too large & holographic soundstage that doesn`t fit for genres like this so well as 69` Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe GAC, of course this is my subjective opinion and lot also depends on mastering and "metal" style.

Btw, just finished recabling my X1 with 3-metre cable (Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-patch + Neutrik jacks).
Measured stock cable impedance and result was very high 2.4 Ohm - that`s crazy! O_o.
New cable measures 0.9 Ohm. With new cable sound got tinybit cleaner and tighter. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #4,224 of 5,962
they are defo beefy bassy cans

Try to listen some Pioneer HDJ-1000 cans, then You know what is so-to-say defo beefy bassy (for me at least). Of course lot depends on taste etc. For me they are not bassier than mkII filter modded HD-681 but it kicks harder and bass seems tinybit tighter also, but that applies only to my setup.
but in a good way it doesn't overshadow detail

Totally true! :wink:

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #4,225 of 5,962
This is very apparent to me during Nightwish's Storytime, especially for the first 20 seconds of the song where there are plenty of instruments mixed in with lots bass and drums. I hear distortion and it wasn't something that is minute, it's there.

Hmmm... I just listened that Nightwish`s Storytime song with 3 different cans (X1 / HD-681 and Creative EP-630 IEM) and I could also hear distorted bass with all of them. 
Also tried with ELE EL-D02 DAC and same thing. Seems this distortion comes from the song itself (Youtube HD quality).
Btw, ELE EL-D02 (recapped with ELNA SilmicII`s) also sound pretty good with X1.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #4,226 of 5,962
Are the X1's more similar to the HD-650's than they are to the HD-600's? I have read that the 650's are 'colored' and less neutral than the 600's, which I think would make them similar to the X1's. And if so, how close / similar are they? I ask because I'm considering getting the 600 or 650's, but obviously I don't want something that is very similar, so if what I stated above is correct I'd probably opt for the 600's. 

EDIT: sorry, should have made it clear, I already own the X1's and I absolutely love them, I just want to get a set of Senn's and have read that there are similarities between the X1's & 650's, so I think I'm leaning towards the 600's at this point, to experience something different.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #4,227 of 5,962
Mike @ Headfonia review compares X1 vs. HD-650 a little, read it (I`m not sure it`s allowed to post headfonia review links here).

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4,228 of 5,962
Yo,

The X1 is like a much more energetic and lively sounding HD650. The HD650 sounds mushy, veiled, and bloated. The X1 is nearly as dark sounding while still being a ton more energetic. It has the smoothness of the HD650, but more treble. 

Of the two headphones I greatly prefer the X1. s the X1 better? Yes it is, much better IMO. You also have to take into consideration that it doesn't scale as much as the HD650, but neither does the HD650. The low impedance and price are also big pluses to me.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4,229 of 5,962
My way of describing the x1 is they are like the grado sound (to my ears) but with much more bass less harsh (slightly at times grainy?) mids/highs and an amazing soundstage and comfort so basically all the good of grado none of the bad if there is a bad to grado.
First thing I thought when I first put them on was , oh they remind me of the sr60i but hang on way better bass soundtstage etc and less fatiguing highs.
They are not what  i'd call a crisp punchy timbre like sparkly sound took me a while for my brain to adjust as I came to assosiate anything but sparkly crystal clear treble as less but it's in fact more, details all there just rolled off the treble tamed a bit as it were which is perfect.

I'm still stuck on listening to kraftwerk , future sound of london, orbital, they are quite literally mind blowing at times, they are so good I haven't even got around to going through all my other music.
Incredible under dolby headphone.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #4,230 of 5,962
Appreciate the insights. I should have made it clear, I already own the X1's and I absolutely love them, I just want to get some Senn's and have read that there are similarities in sound between the X1's & 650's, so I think I'm leaning towards the 600's at this point, to experience something different. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back