[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 23, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #5,206 of 5,962
Just picked these up and am pretty impressed. 3 quick questions:

1. Can someone please summarize top choices for cable upgrades?
2. Feeling a bit too much clamping force on my jaw (which was the reason to move to something new from HD600)- any mods to lessen the pressure?
3. Tyll recommends a low output impedence amp- any suggestions?

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #5,207 of 5,962
  X2 and X1 are quite same sounding. Differences aren`t big. X2 is more neutral with tad closer presentation while X1 has little more bass and tad more soundstage (frontal depth). And don`t judge X1 by first play hours, even first 100h. They change littlebit to better after 150-200h playtime. X2 seems to have same behaviour.
Btw, if You do search within this thread about LCD, then You can find many LCD owners saying "wow" about X1, especially paired with tube amp :wink:
I`m not trying to say that X1 is better or even on par with LCD ...they just have great balance between SQ/musicality and some say they have similar signature to LCD2 (which version exactly idk atm from memory).

i'm debating about X1 and X2, don't know if i should spend more money on X2 or get X1 for $180- $185 (used like new) from amazon. i like a little bass and i never try open back headphones before. can you tell me if it's really very little difference between X1 and X2?

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #5,208 of 5,962
I don`t have X2 myself but read X2 reviews, threads and impressions. So far ppl seem to think that differences aren`t big and if You like littlebit bass and tad more soundstage (frontal depth), then X1 would be probably better choice. Some have prefferred X1 over X2 but majority think X2 is littlebit better in terms of neutrality and analytical listening. I was also thinking about getting X2 but waited for impression and so far based on comments, it seems that X1 is better fit for my taste.

Edit: Also, gear matching (tubes tubes tubes :wink: ) can make X1 quite "same" sounding as X2 I think. For example with my upgraded Aune T1 and Siemens E88CC tube (littlebit "laid back" bass) + custom low impedance cable (stock had ~2.8Ohm impedance and "loose wooly" bass sound) makes X1 pretty neutral and tight sounding HP imho.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #5,209 of 5,962
I've had my X1 for about a week now. I absolutely love them. I went with the X1 over the X2 because they were ~£60/$100 cheaper and I was buying them to be my bass cans - so naturally went with the more bassy one.

Still using the stock cable for now. Waiting for parts to arrive to build a new cable for it. Will be mogami 2893 with amphenol 3.5mm jacks. Haven't decided on the length yet, probably 2m. Will post up pics when it's built.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #5,210 of 5,962
  I don`t have X2 myself but read X2 reviews, threads and impressions. So far ppl seem to think that differences aren`t big and if You like littlebit bass and tad more soundstage (frontal depth), then X1 would be probably better choice. Some have prefferred X1 over X2 but majority think X2 is littlebit better in terms of neutrality and analytical listening. I was also thinking about getting X2 but waited for impression and so far based on comments, it seems that X1 is better fit for my taste.

I've had my X1 for about a week now. I absolutely love them. I went with the X1 over the X2 because they were ~£60/$100 cheaper and I was buying them to be my bass cans - so naturally went with the more bassy one.

Still using the stock cable for now. Waiting for parts to arrive to build a new cable for it. Will be mogami 2893 with amphenol 3.5mm jacks. Haven't decided on the length yet, probably 2m. Will post up pics when it's built.

I believe I'm gonna get X1 in next couple of days and also I think it's a waste of money to spend more one X2 if it's not much sound difference specially for someone like me who has been using old beats studios for last three years and don't know nothing about soundstage, spacious, airy, analytical etc. etc. I just wanna enjoy music with a little bit of bass thumb for couple of hours every night rather than finding details in music. and I also wanna upgrade my graphics card to GTX 960 from my current budget.
I'd like to know one thing. Tyll from Innerfidelity mention that X2 have a totally different driver than X1? can anyone shed a light on this. is it just a driver or a totally different internal design or both?
also wanna know if my beats cable will work well with an X1 replacement stock cable or any cheap silver coated cable will work fine. I live in a country where these expensive gears does not exists. thanks

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #5,211 of 5,962
As far as I know they have very similar driver build but tuned littlebit differently with damping in front of driver (holes and fabric) and X2 has new composite diaphragm material. Some materials and things stayed same as X1. Not sure about the LMC but I think it was also used in X1.
About cable, if it measures under 1 Ohm then it should be ok. You can measure X1 stock cable also, because some stock cables are with ok impedance.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #5,212 of 5,962
Fortunate to snap up the $169 lighting deal as well. Waiting for them to arrive this week, along with a replacement Mediabridge cable. Read a review that said the bass is about on par with the HD650, but I have hunch it's a bit more. I'll see where it sits compared to the HD650 and TH600. I've just been curious to hear this Fidelio series, and this is the cheapest price point I've seen to do so.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #5,213 of 5,962
  Fortunate to snap up the $169 lighting deal as well. Waiting for them to arrive this week, along with a replacement Mediabridge cable. Read a review that said the bass is about on par with the HD650, but I have hunch it's a bit more. I'll see where it sits compared to the HD650 and TH600. I've just been curious to hear this Fidelio series, and this is the cheapest price point I've seen to do so.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #5,214 of 5,962
Great to see this thread getting some traction now, I'll be getting my X1 tomorrow night (it's late morning here now), so looking forward to it!
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #5,215 of 5,962

I believe I'm gonna get X1 in next couple of days and also I think it's a waste of money to spend more one X2 if it's not much sound difference specially for someone like me who has been using old beats studios for last three years and don't know nothing about soundstage, spacious, airy, analytical etc. etc. I just wanna enjoy music with a little bit of bass thumb for couple of hours every night rather than finding details in music. and I also wanna upgrade my graphics card to GTX 960 from my current budget.

The problem is that the X1 is like a gateway drug... you'll like them so much that you'll start wondering "Hmmm, I wonder exactly how are those x2's different? They sure seem popular and many people say they are upgrades to the x1. Man, if I love my x1's this much, just how much would I love the x2's? Wow, I'm starting to feel like I want, nay, need those puppies!!!"

Not speaking for myself of course 
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #5,216 of 5,962

The problem is that the X1 is like a gateway drug... you'll like them so much that you'll start wondering "Hmmm, I wonder exactly how are those x2's different? They sure seem popular and many people say they are upgrades to the x1. Man, if I love my x1's this much, just how much would I love the x2's? Wow, I'm starting to feel like I want, nay, need those puppies!!!"

wink.gif

That's everything in this world. You always wonder about the next step. Human nature, really.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #5,217 of 5,962
Just picked these up and am pretty impressed. 3 quick questions:

1. Can someone please summarize top choices for cable upgrades?
2. Feeling a bit too much clamping force on my jaw (which was the reason to move to something new from HD600)- any mods to lessen the pressure?
3. Tyll recommends a low output impedence amp- any suggestions?

Bump

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #5,218 of 5,962

#1 I don't think there are any top choices. It seems everyone says anything but the stock cable. Some have mentioned the V-moda. Others the mediabridge (I use these).
#2 Besides stretching them out, I don't know of any modes to lessen clamp force.
#3. Can't help you there. They should great on my Audio-gd NFB 28, as well as my old Fiio E10 (read: E10 and not E10K).

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #5,219 of 5,962

wink.gif

totally agree, it's like my computer, I don't game much and I have a decent graphics card but now I have a bug to upgrade my GPU to the latest one even though I know it's not necessary. I can buy X2 but I want two things in a single budget that's why I don't wanna spend more money on X2. other problem is that I don't live in the US or Europe etc. someone will help me get the X1 from Amazon and I'll have to pay that person at least $50 for extra charges to bring it to my country. and I believe I won't have money in the near future to upgrade to new headphones or graphics card. hope X1 will serve me few years like my old beats studio.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #5,220 of 5,962

#1 I don't think there are any top choices. It seems everyone says anything but the stock cable. Some have mentioned the V-moda. Others the mediabridge (I use these).
#2 Besides stretching them out, I don't know of any modes to lessen clamp force.
#3. Can't help you there. They should great on my Audio-gd NFB 28, as well as my old Fiio E10 (read: E10 and not E10K).

Thank you, eac3!
Would someone mind sharing a link to the V-Moda and Mediabridge cables? Want to make I get the right one(s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back