[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 11, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #5,191 of 5,962
I pulled the plug on my dac/amp as there was no sound coming out today on my brand new X1's that I just got today and I heard a loud pop in the headphone. I am concerned that I damaged my headphones as, maybe it is a placebo, but I feel like they sound poor, they have no real discernible bass and I need to crank the volume much more on this headphone then any of my other 30ohm headphone I own. Are these symptoms synonyms of a blown headphone? 

PS I tried the vmoda boom mic cable, my vmoda m100 cable and the cable that came in the box on not only my dac/amp but from my iPhone as well.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #5,192 of 5,962
  I pulled the plug on my dac/amp as there was no sound coming out today on my brand new X1's that I just got today and I heard a loud pop in the headphone. I am concerned that I damaged my headphones as, maybe it is a placebo, but I feel like they sound poor, they have no real discernible bass and I need to crank the volume much more on this headphone then any of my other 30ohm headphone I own. Are these symptoms synonyms of a blown headphone? 

PS I tried the vmoda boom mic cable, my vmoda m100 cable and the cable that came in the box on not only my dac/amp but from my iPhone as well.

Yeah, that sounds like definitely something is wrong. I find that using them with my Sansa Clip+, they drive it very well.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,194 of 5,962
I just ordered the X1 on an Amazon Lightning Deal for $169.  I'm looking for headphones strictly for gaming.  I figured I could get the v-moda mic which will in turn replace the cable as well.  I was holding out for the K7XX to drop again on massdrop, but $169 was hard to say no to for a headphone that is rated highly for gaming.  Has anyone had the X1 and K7XX?  Which would you prefer more for gaming?  I just want to make sure I'll be happy with my purchase.  I have big ears that stick out a little bit and I read the X1 ear muffs are large and deep so I imagine that should work well for me.

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #5,195 of 5,962
Is it still for sale for 169? Can you post link

Edit. Looks like it is off sale. Would you be interested in trading k7xx for x1? My k7xx will be here Friday from massdrop . Let me know. If so please don't open them as mine won't be opened either

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,198 of 5,962
If I knew what both sounded like and which would fit me better/be the best for gaming I would possibly be able to help.  As I said in the PM, I just don't know since I am a complete headphone novice and I am transitioning from junky gaming headsets.  This is the second time the X1 has been a lightning deal on Amazon in the past month so it might be on sale again soon.

Knowing you want the X1 more than the K7XX makes me want the X1 more lol.  
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #5,199 of 5,962
I'm way late for the party, but I just scored a used X1 in excellent condition at about 175USD. Now, before you say anything, it comes bundled with a 3rd party Plussound 1.5m spc cable. I will be getting it on Wednesday. It's gonna be my fun can for gaming and movies.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #5,200 of 5,962
...don`t hold Yourself back only with gaming and movies... it`s very good for melomaniacs too :wink:
Of course sound outcome depends on gear pairing too (it should "pull back" bass, "pump up" mids and little smoothen highs) but nevertheless it should sound great. I see You have LCD2.2 ...someone in head-fi mentioned that he liked X1 more than his LCD2... or was it X2, don`t remember anymore
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #5,201 of 5,962
Just received my X1 yesterday and they are amazing.  They are my first quality headphones.  I am just driving them with my onboard sound, but I have considered getting like the FiiO E10K, but from what I have read it may not make any difference in the quality of sound.  I have zero complaints and they get loud enough as is.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #5,202 of 5,962
  ...don`t hold Yourself back only with gaming and movies... it`s very good for melomaniacs too :wink:
Of course sound outcome depends on gear pairing too (it should "pull back" bass, "pump up" mids and little smoothen highs) but nevertheless it should sound great. I see You have LCD2.2 ...someone in head-fi mentioned that he liked X1 more than his LCD2... or was it X2, don`t remember anymore
redface.gif

LOL!
biggrin.gif
 It's prolly the X2, the LCD2.2 non Fazor that I have is on another level. It's hard to imagine anyone here picking the X1 over the LCD2......unless it's for the fun signature sound of the X1, that's the primary reason why I'm getting it. That it comes with a short 3rd party cable is just icing on the cake. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a Fostex TH900 as it's just occurred to me that I don't have a TOTL close back can. I'm listening to some DSD64 track using my Lyr + iFi Nano iDSD stack with my DT990/600 and it's lovely, I can imagine the X1 would sound as good, if not better.....can't wait to get it!

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #5,203 of 5,962
X2 and X1 are quite same sounding. Differences aren`t big. X2 is more neutral with tad closer presentation while X1 has little more bass and tad more soundstage (frontal depth). And don`t judge X1 by first play hours, even first 100h. They change littlebit to better after 150-200h playtime. X2 seems to have same behaviour.
Btw, if You do search within this thread about LCD, then You can find many LCD owners saying "wow" about X1, especially paired with tube amp :wink:
I`m not trying to say that X1 is better or even on par with LCD ...they just have great balance between SQ/musicality and some say they have similar signature to LCD2 (which version exactly idk atm from memory).

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #5,204 of 5,962
I'm hearing something weird with my X1.
It's imbalanced or something like that, but not in a way that left or right is slightly louder then usual.
I did a test with a sound sweep from YouTube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvBtQmY2B5I

And found out that between 1.3kHz and 1.6kHz the sound/loudness goes almost all the way to the right.
Before and after it's in the middle.
I couldn't quite put my finger on how weird it sounds, but I knew something was not right.
Maybe it was there right from the start but I only noticed it about a week ago.
How does your X1's do at these frequencies?
It's weird listening like this, as if something is wrong with your ears, but I also tried other sources
and it's the same.
(will check with the headphones the other way around - can't image I have a dip in frequency in my ear)

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #5,205 of 5,962
Well, just did the test with my headphones the other way around and it's still going slightly to the
right. So nothing wrong with the phones, but I guess something happened with my hearing last
week. Not sure what, didn't play anything loud, didn't go to any concert.
I will test with some other headphones too. (damn, if this is true - the sound image is really annoying)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back