[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 21, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #4,786 of 5,962
  Yea, I don't think the X1 is neutral enough and extended enough to monitor with.

In bass part maybe yes but otherwise don`t agree. Look at X1 frequency graph. To get bass & kick tight with X1 it needs 1) better low-impedance cable 2) amping (FiiO not recommended but will do ok)

Of course they are not dead-flat and neutral but will do ok. Though, for studio purposes there are many better cans.
X1 is something You should use with final music product.

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #4,787 of 5,962

In bass part maybe yes but otherwise don`t agree. Look at X1 frequency graph. To get bass & kick tight with X1 it needs 1) better low-impedance cable 2) amping (FiiO not recommended but will do ok)

Of course they are not dead-flat and neutral but will do ok. Though, for studio purposes there are many better cans.
X1 is something You should use with final music product.

Why Fiio not recommended?

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #4,788 of 5,962
That`s what I have read from impressions that FiiO amp doesn`t give so good results paired with X1. Don`t remember which FiiO exactly. I guess it`s about warm amp + warm sided X1.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #4,789 of 5,962
While I was using the v-moda cable and listening to some records I was noticing an almost flabby low-end with a gloomy overall sound and before I completely gave up I tried a somewhat 'studio use' cable I had lying around with this and oh my, the sound improves immensly!! I can't believe how much it changes... it's like... such a tight sound now. Here's the cable in question http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5mm-Mini-Jack-Cable-2m-Car-AUX-Cable-Stereo-Audio-Cable-1-8-Jacks-/130977154134?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item1e7ed8c456 so cheap!!

However, the comfort is killing me... The bottom of the cup doesn't reach the bottom of my ears and I get a headache fast. Any suggestions?

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #4,790 of 5,962
Replace the pads... Oh wait. :wink:

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #4,794 of 5,962

Except for the E12, pretty much every other FiiO amp is on the warm side. The X1 is just warm enough as it is, anymore warmth will just overwhelm it.

So ideally, you'd want a DAC and an amp which is on the neutral side.

That makes sense. I use the X1 (and ZU cable) off of either the [HifimeDIY Sabre DAC + Fiio E12] or [Colorfly C3 + C&C BH], and the bass is very nice. Not as tight as off of my Nickerfied T50RP's, but that's to be expected. Very enjoyable nontheless :)

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #4,795 of 5,962
Posting here also some impressions from iBasso DX50 thread (running @ Sound Unlocked 1.3.0 FW):
Quote:

One thing I noticed is, the instruments in the song are better defined.  I can hear instruments in the background a little better than before.

I totally agree.
I believe the sound is little bright, but I enjoy it.  FLAC is enabled, IRR is enabled, Sharp Roll-Off is selected, and the amp is set to low gain.

But guys, please try FLAC-Only mode + IRR OFF + DF Slow roll-off + amp @ mid gain also. For me personally I find IRR ON making whole spectrum littlebit too "harsh" and it seems to have less depth in soundstage towards middle-front (more width emphasized soundstage), loses tinybit in bass/kick quantity, less spread out and separated instruments/sounds (depth towards front & back). IRR ON is NOT bad though and has its good things going on but for me it seems to say secretly at background "I`m trying to be analytical for You but please don`t forget to enjoy music". This impression seems to go for all cans I own but Fidelio X1`s bring it out most, probably because it has very good large airy soundstage and depth towards front.

Now, this is subjective opinion but I find this SU setup described above THE BEST sound I have ever heard with my Fidelio X1 yet.
I found myself yesterday listening music for a long time late at night (technically morning, before workday btw lol) and I just wanted to listen more and more. For example I was totally blown away how A Perfect Circle - eMotion album sounded and those amazing background sounds and detail retrieval, separation and transparency going on. It`s not overly analiytical or overly lush/fun sounding - it`s something in between and I have not experienced this kind of synergy before. I was actually starting to doubt if they were just my emotions regarding this album but no, DX50 + Fidelio X1 seems to be PERFECT match. Honestly, I`m blown away by this DAP with this firmware & settings...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-5-0/14370#post_10733416

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #4,796 of 5,962

Lol, no just no. I'm sorry, but just no.

DH sounds entirely different on a closed headphone and on an open one, ANY type in fact. Don't say something you actually haven't tried.

I've tried DH on:

SS Siberia V2
AKG 550
Bose QC15
X1s
BD 770
AT 700s
Beats
Turtle Beaches whatevers
Astro whatchamathings
Sony MDR7506

And in 100% of the cases, it sounded bad. I have tried it on lots of other things as well, but it is suck.

The effect is purely psychoacoustic and needs mental 'burn-in' to work correctly. And even then it has dismal clarity and has awful game surround projection.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #4,797 of 5,962
These sound quite good plugged into my marantz cd player but I'm still yet to find a solution to the fit problem. Innerfidelity's method didn't work for me... my goodness I feel like such a bighead :frowning2:

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #4,798 of 5,962
  I've tried DH on:

SS Siberia V2
AKG 550
Bose QC15
X1s
BD 770
AT 700s
Beats
Turtle Beaches whatevers
Astro whatchamathings
Sony MDR7506

And in 100% of the cases, it sounded bad. I have tried it on lots of other things as well, but it is suck.

The effect is purely psychoacoustic and needs mental 'burn-in' to work correctly. And even then it has dismal clarity and has awful game surround projection.

Alright, power to you. You just don't like DH and I respect that, you have your choice to how you want to play your games after all.

Just don't go around telling everyone that DH sucks just because it doesn't work for you, because DH works for a lot of people too. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #4,799 of 5,962

Alright, power to you. You just don't like DH and I respect that, you have your choice to how you want to play your games after all.

Just don't go around telling everyone that DH sucks just because it doesn't work for you, because DH works for a lot of people too. 

I'm pretty sure they'd know it's his opinion by virtue of the fact that they said it. That's just a petty conclusion to draw. What's with this push for people to preface things with IMO all the time?

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #4,800 of 5,962
  These sound quite good plugged into my marantz cd player but I'm still yet to find a solution to the fit problem. Innerfidelity's method didn't work for me... my goodness I feel like such a bighead :frowning2:

"Wish you were here small headed"
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back