[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #3,601 of 5,962

I ordered an audio-only cable from V-Moda for mine for $12US. Like you, I was using my spare from my M-100 as well. The cable I ordered is very nice and not nearly as stiff as the ones that came with the M-100. The cable that came with the X1 is quite excellent in build and appearance and, truth be told, I cannot really tell all that much of a difference - at least when I am at work. I picked up the other cable automatically because of everything I read about the "horrors" of the stock cable. Perhaps when I take them home this weekend and do some "critical" listening a difference may be heard... Just joking - I listen for fun!
wink_face.gif

cheers guys. maybe i'll just give the stock cable a go, and if i do happen to prefer the M-100 cable i'll order the audio only cable down the track (along with a boompro maybe).

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,602 of 5,962
Just received mine today, 1 day earlier then expected! Some quick impressions:

First impression after I heard the bass hit was "Is this really an open back headphone?!". The bass was satisfying and this is coming from an Ultrasone 580. I switched out the stock cord after listening to a couple songs to try out the mediabridge cord to find I think I may actually prefer the stock cord sounds. The mediabridge made the bass tighter which I found boring. Treble seems to be a bit higher and details possibly slightly better & louder. Sound seems more fatiguing to my ears, a little colder, and possibly a bit more boring compared to the stock cord.  I think the stock cord just sounds more fun. Tighter bass is boring. I still need more time to make a final judgement.

The sound stage hasn't wow'd me yet, and I was hoping for a more airy sound since I missed that the most after years of using closed headphones. Overall it seems like a good all around headphone so I may have to sell my Ultrasone 580 if I decide to keep these, or I may go for the Sony MDRMA900 while keeping the Ultrasone 580 if I ever want to some bass..

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #3,603 of 5,962
I have been wearing my X1's for a week now...Am I imagining it or are these a heavy headphone? And will my neck strengthen up?

I have been using K240's which are 120g lighter.

Cheers

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,604 of 5,962
Jan 23, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #3,605 of 5,962
Has anyone paired this with an E18?

I'm in the market for a FiiO, and I'm not sure whether to go for a pricey (for me) DAC-less E12, a budget E07K (or an even more wallet-friendly DAC-less E11), or an painfully expensive (for me) E18 (which seems to have a lot of compatibility issues, even with my officially supported HTC One). I also have my eye on the DAC-less C&C BH2.

If I end up not getting an amp/DAC combo, would I be better off getting a dedicated amp or a dedicated DAC? The source in the case of the DAC would be my MacBook Pro. The DACs I'm looking at are the Muse, the Syba, the HiFiMeDIY Sabre, and the uncomfortably pricey (for me) Schiit Modi.

On another note, I'm amazed that after 241 pages of 3,603 posts, there still apparently is no general consensus on a good hard case for the X1. I realize these aren't for portable use, but I still like to keep my cans in a dedicated hard case even for storage around the house.

Has anyone tried these with any of the CASEBUDis? It seems like the XL version might do the job (amzn.com/B00BF6IKL4/), but I don't know whether it might be oversized or otherwise not fit. I've ordered the large version for my M50s, so I'll try it with the X1s when they (both) arrive, but I'm guessing it'll be too small.

I realize the X1 comes in a nice, sturdy box, but, as mine hasn't arrived yet, I'm not sure how excessively big the box is. Ideally, I'd be able to fit the X1 in a backpack with some room to spare.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #3,606 of 5,962
  Has anyone paired this with an E18?

I'm in the market for a FiiO, and I'm not sure whether to go for a pricey (for me) DAC-less E12, a budget E07K (or an even more wallet-friendly DAC-less E11), or an painfully expensive (for me) E18 (which seems to have a lot of compatibility issues, even with my officially supported HTC One). I also have my eye on the DAC-less C&C BH2.

If I end up not getting an amp/DAC combo, would I be better off getting a dedicated amp or a dedicated DAC? The source in the case of the DAC would be my MacBook Pro. The DACs I'm looking at are the Muse, the Syba, the HiFiMeDIY Sabre, and the uncomfortably pricey (for me) Schiit Modi.

On another note, I'm amazed that after 241 pages of 3,603 posts, there still apparently is no general consensus on a good hard case for the X1. I realize these aren't for portable use, but I still like to keep my cans in a dedicated hard case even for storage around the house.

Has anyone tried these with any of the CASEBUDis? It seems like the XL version might do the job (amzn.com/B00BF6IKL4/), but I don't know whether it might be oversized or otherwise not fit. I've ordered the large version for my M50s, so I'll try it with the X1s when they (both) arrive, but I'm guessing it'll be too small.

I realize the X1 comes in a nice, sturdy box, but, as mine hasn't arrived yet, I'm not sure how excessively big the box is. Ideally, I'd be able to fit the X1 in a backpack with some room to spare.

If you don't need the optical input on the E17, the E07k does absolutely fine for the X1. You don't need an amp like the E12 to power the X1 at all, the E07k/E17 is more than adequate. I can gurantee you won't even be able to go past 45 on the volume before the X1 getting excessively loud on the E17, I know because I'm using the E17 with it.

As for the case, not sure if the casebuds fit the X1 or not. The X1's box isn't really that huge in the first place, I fit it in a Herschel bagpack like this just fine.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #3,607 of 5,962
OMG! I won't have to buy another headset in years if not ever. X1 + V-MODA BoomPro + 5.8 wireless mixamp is awesome! The wireless range is great on the mixamp and we all know the sound quality of the X1's. Excuse me while I go own some more fools online.
atsmile.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #3,608 of 5,962
Jan 24, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #3,609 of 5,962
Jan 24, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #3,610 of 5,962
I have this case for my M50s, but I don't think the X1s would fit. I'll check later for you and report back, if you'd like. I would think the cups are too big.

Thanks, that would be very helpful information.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #3,611 of 5,962
Thanks, that would be very helpful information.

Well, I stand corrected. They do fit, albeit pretty snugly. At first, even the length wasn't looking good. I removed the Mediabridge cable and was able to squoosh them down a bit. The size of the cups weren't a problem either, as the Slappa has fairly deep bowls on either side.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #3,612 of 5,962
Well, I stand corrected. They do fit, albeit pretty snugly. At first, even the length wasn't looking good. I removed the Mediabridge cable and was able to squoosh them down a bit. The size of the cups weren't a problem either, as the Slappa has fairly deep bowls on either side.

Thanks for checking, I will go ahead and order that case for my X1.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #3,613 of 5,962

Thank you from me as well! One question, if I may: After you snug them into the case, is there any apparent pressure on or deformation of the ear pads? My only worry is that if the are stored for any length of time, the memory foam just might "remember" and stay mushed.

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #3,614 of 5,962

Thank you from me as well! One question, if I may: After you snug them into the case, is there any apparent pressure on or deformation of the ear pads? My only worry is that if the are stored for any length of time, the memory foam just might "remember" and stay mushed.

Thanks!

I use this case and it fits perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Case-Bag-Box-Storage-For-ATH-AD2000-AD1000-AD-2000-1000-Headphones-Cable-/261237968826?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&var=&hash=item3cd2ff0fba#ht_5969wt_872

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,615 of 5,962
  After 5 chat rep and 2 emails. The second email rep refunded me $100. Definitely keeping the headphones now. That being said, these are most likely be my end game headphones for a while. What direction should I go for better quality sounds?

I love the headphones but it's not loud enough. I have used it on my android phone, lenovo thinkpad yoga, and on board pc(no sound card).

I'm at school 5-8 hours for 4 days during the week. Should I invest in a portable amp/dac, sound card, or amp/dac? I'm looking to spend less than $200.

I've seen recommendations for Fiio E17 and X3

I have just compared the X1;s through three combinations:

Soundcard output on modern PC: 3/10 Not dreadful, but a but like you are in a cardboard box. Treble a bit lost, mids muffled and bass not there.
USB > Fiio E17: 7.5/10 Pretty good. Bass has arrived, treble now quite clear and a reasonable amount of punch. More volume than you'll ever need.
USB > ODAC > Corda Quickstep: 9/10 As above but just more! Deep clear defined bass and crisp clear treble. Clearer soundstage and more musical.

I'd recommend the E17 on a budget. Most of the sound for very little money.

Incidentally, my X1's keep getting better with time (several weeks now). Prefer them to my Westone 4Rs, which is something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back