[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #3,617 of 5,962
Thank you from me as well! One question, if I may: After you snug them into the case, is there any apparent pressure on or deformation of the ear pads? My only worry is that if the are stored for any length of time, the memory foam just might "remember" and stay mushed.

Thanks!

The bottom parts of the earpads do touch each other and press there a bit. I'm OCD myself and would probably not keep them in these cases long term. I would definitely use them for traveling or for protective transport. The material on those Slappas is excellent and will withstand a fair amount of abuse.

I probably never would have even considered using the Slappas, but I'm glad thx1000 asked the question.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #3,618 of 5,962
The bottom parts of the earpads do touch each other and press there a bit. I'm OCD myself and would probably not keep them in these cases long term. I would definitely use them for traveling or for protective transport. The material on those Slappas is excellent and will withstand a fair amount of abuse.

I probably never would have even considered using the Slappas, but I'm glad thx1000 asked the question.

Excellent - thank you for the response!

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #3,619 of 5,962

The Slappa case is very robust.  They fit the Denon D2000 of mine with the extra deep cups nicely and hold them in place well.  Good item for the price.  That ebay case looks pretty good too for the $6 or so. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #3,620 of 5,962
Received my X1s today, hooked them up to my Fiio E18/Nexus 5 with a Monoprice "Designed for Mobile 3.5mm" cable.

I bought the X1s as a potential replacement for my Sennheiser 558s.

First impressions:

X1s don't sound nearly as "open/airy" as the 558s, I was actually shocked at how muddy something like Muse - Hysteria sounded in comparison to what I was used to. The sound of the X1s has grown on me after about half an hour of listening to various music, but it was not what I was expecting from open headphones. 

The second thing I noticed was that they look much bigger/bulkier than the 558s and the earcups started itching my ears within half an hour. That's not anything I had experienced with the fabric pads on the 558 even after hours of continuous use.

I'll definitely be doing more testing over the weekend but based on first impressions I'm likely to hang on to the 558s because they are lower profile and more comfortable. Kind of disappointing because the specs on the X1 seemed to blow away the 558s, and I also really like that the X1 uses a standard 3.5mm connector vs. the stupid proprietary cables I have to use with the Sennheisers. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #3,621 of 5,962
  That ebay case looks pretty good too for the $6 or so. 

The ebay case is unfortunately actually $25. The $6.70 is for two waterproof headphone bags.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #3,622 of 5,962
  I just compared the v moda boom pro with the media bridge cable I got from Amazon. Coming straight out of my macbook The V Moda cable is VERY quiet.   I'm talking like 30% quieter than the media bridge.   Strange.

There's an in-line volume control on the BoomPro, is it turned up to max?

So checking again. The volume on my BoomPro was all the way up. So media bridge is still significantly louder. However, the boompro still sounds good once you turn the volume up a bit and from what i'm told by people on the other end the mic quality fantastic. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #3,623 of 5,962
  Received my X1s today, hooked them up to my Fiio E18/Nexus 5 with a Monoprice "Designed for Mobile 3.5mm" cable.

First impressions:

X1s don't sound nearly as "open/airy" as the 558s, I was actually shocked at how muddy something like Muse - Hysteria sounded in comparison to what I was used to. The sound of the X1s has grown on me after about half an hour of listening to various music, but it was not what I was expecting from open headphones. 

The second thing I noticed was that they look much bigger/bulkier than the 558s and the earcups started itching my ears within half an hour. That's not anything I had experienced with the fabric pads on the 558 even after hours of continuous use.

I'll definitely be doing more testing over the weekend but based on first impressions I'm likely to hang on to the 558s because they are lower profile and more comfortable. Kind of disappointing because the specs on the X1 seemed to blow away the 558s, and I also really like that the X1 uses a standard 3.5mm connector vs. the stupid proprietary cables I have to use with the Sennheisers. 

I wonder if it might be the cable. How does the stock sound? Does it sound even worse without the E18?

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #3,627 of 5,962
Got my Amazon deal X1's today..............thrilled to report out of vintage amps they sound amazing.  Very good bass............yeah, I think they are basshead phones.  Out of my Pioneer Spec 1/2 rack system they are rocking big time. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #3,628 of 5,962
  Got my Amazon deal X1's today..............thrilled to report out of vintage amps they sound amazing.  Very good bass............yeah, I think they are basshead phones.  Out of my Pioneer Spec 1/2 rack system they are rocking big time. 

Is it BASShead bass or audiophile bass?

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #3,629 of 5,962
So checking again. The volume on my BoomPro was all the way up. So media bridge is still significantly louder. However, the boompro still sounds good once you turn the volume up a bit and from what i'm told by people on the other end the mic quality fantastic. 
I've gone back and forth between the stock cable and the BoomPro and I have yet to notice a difference with the volume level. Maybe something is up with your cable?

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #3,630 of 5,962

First impressions:

Muse is tough on the X1s I've found, especially the live ones. I believe it's the way they're albums are engineered. Also, what type of files are you using? Nevertheless, if it's compared side by side, same source, etc with your 558s, it should still be competitive. I would say the only thing would be burn in. My X1s handle Muse a bit better now after weeks of burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back