[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 23, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #3,587 of 5,962
  I’m going to replace the stock cable with a FAW HPC. Would you guys recommend going with the 6.5 termination, or just go with 3.5mm?

Depends where you are going to connect the cable but I personally bought with 3.5mm jack because if you want to connect to an amplifier having a 6.35mm input you just have to buy an adapter.

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #3,588 of 5,962
Oh man, im just giggling and waiting for my x1s to arrive..a 250-300 dollar headphone for 150 bucks? oh my, this year started really good for me lol.

Anyways, I ordered the MA900 last week, they should be here anytime now. These two headsets are my first ever expensive headphones, never had anything above 100 dollars in headphones.

Initially i was just going to spend 200 hence why i bought the ma900 but when i saw the x1 on sale yesterday morning, i was like add to cart now lol. Now my wallet is hurt a bit but eh..spending almost 400 bucks almost feels good

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #3,589 of 5,962
got in on the lightning deal! keen to check them out, will be my first open headphone.

unfortunately couldn't order the mediabridge cable at the same time (won't ship to australia). that kabel direct one won't ship to aus either. will use my spare v-moda cable from my M-100 for now...any other recommendations for (cheap) replacement cable?

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3,590 of 5,962
  got in on the lightning deal! keen to check them out, will be my first open headphone.

unfortunately couldn't order the mediabridge cable at the same time (won't ship to australia). that kabel direct one won't ship to aus either. will use my spare v-moda cable from my M-100 for now...any other recommendations for (cheap) replacement cable?

I ordered an audio-only cable from V-Moda for mine for $12US. Like you, I was using my spare from my M-100 as well. The cable I ordered is very nice and not nearly as stiff as the ones that came with the M-100. The cable that came with the X1 is quite excellent in build and appearance and, truth be told, I cannot really tell all that much of a difference - at least when I am at work. I picked up the other cable automatically because of everything I read about the "horrors" of the stock cable. Perhaps when I take them home this weekend and do some "critical" listening a difference may be heard... Just joking - I listen for fun!
wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #3,591 of 5,962
I ordered the mediabridge 8' cable with at the same time. The Philips cable looks great, but I can tell the difference between the two sound wise. The only downside to the mediabridge is it does have some microphonics, not a big deal if you're not moving.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #3,592 of 5,962

I ordered an audio-only cable from V-Moda for mine for $12US. Like you, I was using my spare from my M-100 as well. The cable I ordered is very nice and not nearly as stiff as the ones that came with the M-100. The cable that came with the X1 is quite excellent in build and appearance and, truth be told, I cannot really tell all that much of a difference - at least when I am at work. I picked up the other cable automatically because of everything I read about the "horrors" of the stock cable. Perhaps when I take them home this weekend and do some "critical" listening a difference may be heard... Just joking - I listen for fun!
wink_face.gif

like most things on head-fi the "issues" with the X1 cable are over exaggerated. There is a slight "improvement" in the clarity with the V-Moda cable but I find the X1 loses some of it's character. I prefer the stock cable, but if I'm not listening carefully I can't tell the difference.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #3,593 of 5,962
I bought the media bridge wire with it and used it right away instead of the stock wire.

That should be enough. I may try it with my Android and see if it's underpowered.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3,595 of 5,962
mine arrived this morning, a full day early which ended up being 1-day shipping, and they even came before I had to leave for work. Gotta love Amazon!

First impression - the bass is very impressive! Right now I have them running straight into my MBP w/ the stock cable. Can't wait to try them w/ my Vali at work

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #3,596 of 5,962
If any one doesn't like them or doesn't need another set of cans (lol) I'd love to buy them. I had been watching them for months and had a pair in my cart. When I went to check out I tried three times but it wouldn't go through. Then they were OOS! Anyways I hope everyone enjoys their new cans you got a smoking deal and thanks for everyone's input on this thread who helped me decide I want them!

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #3,597 of 5,962
After 5 chat rep and 2 emails. The second email rep refunded me $100. Definitely keeping the headphones now. That being said, these are most likely be my end game headphones for a while. What direction should I go for better quality sounds?

I love the headphones but it's not loud enough. I have used it on my android phone, lenovo thinkpad yoga, and on board pc(no sound card).

I'm at school 5-8 hours for 4 days during the week. Should I invest in a portable amp/dac, sound card, or amp/dac? I'm looking to spend less than $200.

I've seen recommendations for Fiio E17 and X3

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,598 of 5,962
  After 5 chat rep and 2 emails. The second email rep refunded me $100. Definitely keeping the headphones now. That being said, these are most likely be my end game headphones for a while. What direction should I go for better quality sounds?

I love the headphones but it's not loud enough. I have used it on my android phone, lenovo thinkpad yoga, and on board pc(no sound card).

I'm at school 5-8 hours for 4 days during the week. Should I invest in a portable amp/dac, sound card, or amp/dac? I'm looking to spend less than $200.

These don't really need an amp. A Xonar DX using the UNi Drivers should be good enough. I have used these with a fiio e7 and it did fine. Again, they don't really need an amp. They are listening phones, for home / quieter places.

Email or chat? I showed them that and they still ramble on about can't price adjust for promotion. What did you say to pressure them?

Email. The emails rarely go to the same person it seems, so if they ask for data or whatever, just send more emails. I think I got lucky. I said it was 50% off (I think in terms of percents / ratios / maths), and they misunderstood me and gave me 50% of my original purchase price back (124.99).

EDIT: See you resolved this.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #3,599 of 5,962

I wouldn't recommend these for use outside of the house either... at least in public places.  Their open back design would allow too much outside noise in, plus being open back everyone would also hear what you were listening to!  You may be better off using that $200 and getting som IEM's for outside the house.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #3,600 of 5,962

I wouldn't recommend these for use outside of the house either... at least in public places.  Their open back design would allow too much outside noise in, plus being open back everyone would also hear what you were listening to!  You may be better off using that $200 and getting som IEM's for outside the house.

I agree here, if you can stand IEMs, do them for outdoors/transit listening. 200 will buy you very big IEM sound, way better money spent than on an amp.

I'd be tempted to check out the fidelio IEMs :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back