[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #228 of 5,962
Quote:
ruffra, I hate to disagree with you but I've listened to many genres of music through my X1's over the last few weeks and certainly do not cosider the mids/highs to be in the least bit repressed - are you sure that you do not hve a dodgy cable?

Just say that many aspects of source equipment may influence what anyone hears on their headphones. I noticed that such things as cymbal decay,  string resonances and room effects that I heard quite clearly on HD650's and the Q701 were much less obvious with the stock cables on the X1's.  I am currently listening with a set of jack to jack ipod style cable with adaptor and finding the results a lot better.  The low end sounds remarkable.  I will provide more observations and experience against my other headphone collection once I feel the X1 have had a good run in.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #229 of 5,962
YAY, I have the X1 on my head right now! :L3000:
Fiio E17 (+2 Bass / +4 Treble), stock cable and some tracks by The Heavy. Just... WOW. :D

EDIT: Definitely these cans deliver some quality bass (really liked the bass presence in The Temper Trap's Sweet Disposition :wink:).

Oh, and they are so comfortable! :D

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #230 of 5,962
Quote:
YAY, I have the X1 on my head right now!
L3000.gif

Fiio E17 (+2 Bass / +4 Treble), stock cable and some tracks by The Heavy. Just... WOW.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Definitely these cans deliver some quality bass (really liked the bass presence in The Temper Trap's Sweet Disposition
wink.gif
).
Oh, and they are so comfortable!
biggrin.gif

congrats :)

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #231 of 5,962
The first impression is really good. Now I can't wait anymore, I have to buy a pretty decent desktop DAC and a powerful amp to make a REAL comparision with my other hps (I've already realized the X1 would win in an airiness test). :D

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #232 of 5,962
Just ordered these from the philips uk store using a 35% and 25% discount codes stacked together through topcash making the grand total £121 delivered!!!!!! At this price not really concerned about the earpads being removeable as I was before. Will add to some of the impressions already posted once received...

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #233 of 5,962
That's quite a lot of EQ-ing to make them sound good... not sure if want.

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #234 of 5,962
They sound very good even with a flat EQ, that +4 Treble is just there to meet my personal preferences.
I think I'll get a much more pleasant sound with a neutral amp/dac. :wink:

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #235 of 5,962
Quote:
Just ordered these from the philips uk store using a 35% and 25% discount codes stacked together through topcash making the grand total £121 delivered!!!!!! At this price not really concerned about the earpads being removeable as I was before. Will add to some of the impressions already posted once received...

Could you explain in detail how you did this, which codes and all?  Thanks

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #236 of 5,962
Yes, I too would really appreciate it if you could share the codes you used(and how you used them).
I have found a working 30% off code and another 25% that runs out tomorrow(but the code isn't there!), so if you
could help us out it would be rather nice!

Hoping we start to get more thoughts and impressions coming along now too.

Be well.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #238 of 5,962
Quote:

Could you explain in detail how you did this, which codes and all?  Thanks

Quote:
Yes, I too would really appreciate it if you could share the codes you used(and how you used them).
I have found a working 30% off code and another 25% that runs out tomorrow(but the code isn't there!), so if you
could help us out it would be rather nice!

Hoping we start to get more thoughts and impressions coming along now too.

Be well.

use this 35% off code first: NJOCT2012 to get price down to £175 then use 25% welcone code: Philips2012 to get price down to £131 inc free shipping. If you go through topcashback or quidco you get a further £10 off to get it down to £121!

2 days shipping by UPS from Netherlands as mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
Quote:
Bad news. I asked directly Philips Italia and their answer is  that "earpads are not designed to be removed or replaced ".
I really don't understand  a choice like this

That is not good news and a simply incomprehensible decision to make on a headphone that has an RRP of £270! I had an opportunity not so long ago to buy them for £199 but I felt even that was too expensive a price to pay for the earpads most likely not being readily replaceable. Luckily a monster deal came on these that made the burden of them not being replaceable much easier to digest.

Seems quite bizarre though to have a removeable cable but not earpads...maybe the 'memory foam' pads have the durability of a tank. Atleast, that's what I'm hoping for!

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #239 of 5,962
Before I comment on sound...

Large-headed beware! These might be too small for you. 
rolleyes.gif
I have to push them as far down as possible and it's not that comfortable anymore.

A clear design fault IMO, especially since they are intended for home and not portable usage. Just a few cm more of headband could probably cater to many more people.

So that you don't have to guess, I measured my head from bottom of ear(lobes) going around top of my head: 45 cm. I know I'm not the biggest since many people use longer Audeze posts. 
biggrin.gif

Pad diameter is about 5x6cm inner, 11x11cm outer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back