[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #241 of 5,962
Before I comment on sound...

Large-headed beware! These might be too small for you. :rolleyes: I have to push them as far down as possible and it's not that comfortable anymore.

A clear design fault IMO, especially since they are intended for home and not portable usage. Just a few cm more of headband could probably cater to many more people.

So that you don't have to guess, I measured my head from bottom of ear(lobes) going around top of my head: 45 cm. I know I'm not the biggest since many people use longer Audeze posts. :D

Pad diameter is about 5x6cm inner, 11x11cm outer.

I had a feeling, just by looking at the headband design, that it'd be too small for many people. Probably for me too. I already stretched the K701/Q701 to it's limits to reach down to my ears properly.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #244 of 5,962
I don't see how one is supposed to be able to put those codes in. WHERE on either of those sites is there the facility to enter those codes?
I have registered with both and simply can't see where/how to type them in...?
Also, from looking up those codes it appears that the Philips2012 expired last month sometime - how/where were you able to use it yesterday?

Apologies it this bothers you or if I'm being dim here, but saying 'if we use these 'through' Topcash or Quidco' doesn't help much!

Can you say EXACTLY how one puts the codes in?
Thank.

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #246 of 5,962
Quote:
I don't see how one is supposed to be able to put those codes in. WHERE on either of those sites is there the facility to enter those codes?
I have registered with both and simply can't see where/how to type them in...?
Also, from looking up those codes it appears that the Philips2012 expired last month sometime - how/where were you able to use it yesterday?

Apologies it this bothers you or if I'm being dim here, but saying 'if we use these 'through' Topcash or Quidco' doesn't help much!

Can you say EXACTLY how one puts the codes in?
Thank.

Ok it's not exactly brain surgery but here is a step-by-step guide:

1. Register with topcashback and search 'Philips' in the search bar. it should display The Philips Store with 7% cashback. Proceed to click on the link and it will take you the actual Philips Store.

2. Once at the Philips Store search whatever you want to buy and add to basket. Before you checkout it will show the basket summary with a box in the lower left side where you can enter a promotional code.

3. Enter the first code NJOCT2012. Apply. Enter Philips2012. Apply. The second code didn''t work for me the first time I applied it but did the second time so it could be quite temperamental.

4. It should report £131 total to pay after discounts. Topcash should report within a few days that they have tracked the transaction and you will be due around £10 within a few weeks. Voila!

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #247 of 5,962
Quote:
Bad news. I asked directly Philips Italia and their answer is  that "earpads are not designed to be removed or replaced ".
I really don't understand  a choice like this

What's with Philips' fetish for all of their headphones not having removable pads? (Except for my mystery pair of removable pad Uptowns). In the X1's case especially, not making a whole lot of sense.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #248 of 5,962
I checked the topcashback site, apparently one has to be from UK in order to use it, so it means no international buyers.
confused_face.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #250 of 5,962
@communic

Thanks for replying again.
Yeah, I know it's not brain surgery! That's why it was frustrating me so much!

Anyway, I had done exactly what you laid out in steps, but unfortunately it no longer works. I think perhaps you were maybe very lucky that it worked for you and that the Philips webstore has subsequently been updated.

The situation on the Philips store now, for those interested, is as follows:

Firstly, it explicitly states that it will only accept one discount code/coupon per purchase and, secondly, it now recognises that the Philips2012 code has expired.

So, two options as I see it are to either go with currently available NJOCT2012 35% off code, lowering the price to £175 inc. shipping, with I presume a further 15% cashback to follow from quidco or cashback, or to go the Amazon.it route and get them for roughly 185eu, so around £150 inc shipping.

Both(presuming the cashback works fine)work out virtually identical, so it probably comes down to which is preferable, Amazon Italy or Philips UK, in case of anything not being right, damaged in transit, faulty etc ...

It's not a helluva difference between £120 and £150, but still, with several doubts concerning whether to just go for these, I would definitely have ordered @ £120, but I'm not sure @ £150, even though it is still obviously a big discount on the rrp.

Go figure!

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #253 of 5,962
I don't know. I've been listening all day, but it's hard to come to any definite conclusions. Bass is somewhat too emphasized and feels slightly soft. Highs have a nice sparkle, not too much and never sibilant to me. So yeah I guess those make mids slightly recessed. Very open sound(stage). Even with my big head I feel the comfort they can give. For 200€ I'm enjoying the value.

edit: Well the velour does heat up ears nicely. So dunno if the comfort is any better than on other good ones..

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #254 of 5,962
So it sounds like we basically have an open-backed version of the L1 that leaks a lot of sound and costs more. Feh.

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #255 of 5,962
Yeah, but going from closed to open is an improvement in every way, other than isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back