New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Oct 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #61 of 258
like most deices it will not play apple lossless but what you are stating really has nothing to do with playing apple lossless.  If you are sending a digital signal to the 105 over coax then it is playing that digital signal, the apple lossless file has already been played and converted on your imac and the oppo will have no clue or care what kind of file it used to be.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #62 of 258
Quote:
like most deices it will not play apple lossless but what you are stating really has nothing to do with playing apple lossless.  If you are sending a digital signal to the 105 over coax then it is playing that digital signal, the apple lossless file has already been played and converted on your imac and the oppo will have no clue or care what kind of file it used to be.

Ok, that's what I thought. Were you talking about connecting an external USB Hard drive with ALAC files in that case (trying to figure out where it won't play ALAC files)?

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #69 of 258
One more fly in the BDP-103/105 ointment:  Cinavia. 

Quoting wikipedia:

Quote:
The Blu-ray implementation of Cinavia is designed to cover two use-cases: the first is the provision of a Cinavia watermark on all movie theater soundtracks released via film distribution networks; the second use-case is for the provision of a Cinavia watermark on all Blu-ray releases that points to the presence of an accompanying AACS key. If a "theatrical release" watermark is detected in a consumer Blu-ray audio track, the accompanying video is deemed to have been sourced from a "cam" recording. If the "AACS watermark" is present in the audio tracks, but no accompanying and matching AACS key is found on the disc, then it is deemed to have been a "rip" made by copying to a second blank Blu-ray disc.

Boo!!! 
mad.gif

However, it may be that Cinavia won't prevent the playback of video ripped to hard drive. Cinavia is required of all new Blu-ray players starting in 2012. This is why it exists in the new OPPOs but is not in the older ones.

Still thinking of getting the BDP-105 . . .

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #70 of 258
^^ If Oppo's media player reads H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, .MOV, .AVI etc etc... and your ripper has done it's job properly, then there should be no problem with reading those files off your drive as legitimate files.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #72 of 258
Would this unit be a good DAC for the price range? Was the BDP95 a good DAC or Transport in the price range?

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #73 of 258
Transport was considered top class by Stereophile. I have never seen a review using the DAC only.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #74 of 258
Quote:
Would this unit be a good DAC for the price range? Was the BDP95 a good DAC or Transport in the price range?

You couldn't use the BDP-95 as a DAC per se, though their were workarounds using DLNA software that were awkward, but it sounded really great in its price range.

One thing no one's mentioned yet too is that this can probably do bass management for speaker rigs. There's nothing with similar sound quality as the BDP-95 that can also act as a DAC and do bass management. (To get the same functions and similar sound quality, you have to either go to a much more expensive HT receiver or an HTPC with JRiver or similar software and then buy two identical DACs (to avoid timing issues between the subwoofer and main channels).) This alone would be a killer feature for me. The whole thing sounds like a huge value.

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #75 of 258
Thank you for your information. If this is good enough value to be a stand alone DAC, then I'll consider this to be my next target to replace my CD player AND my DAC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back