New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Nov 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #93 of 258
Getting my SACD -> 105 -> 009 working... very nice.

Why don't normal redbook CDs get dynamic range like this? Holy smokes!

I'm in San Francisco, so that is why I have mine already. They ship out of Mountain View.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #94 of 258
None of the dealers I have been to have either unit in. I suspect they will get the 103 first though.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #95 of 258
yea, back when you wrote this no one anywhere had the 105, they hadn't even left the factory yet.

Well, I have my 105 and so far I'm liking it.  No critical comparison's yet.  I was away for the holiday so I had the 105 playing music from a hard drive without anyone here to listen to it - so it's ready to go.   2 big notables is that the 24/192 USB DAC works great so far and is a good way to keep from having to use a TV and it is a way to play ALAC.  I'm using foobar with wasabi with good results so far.  The other is that it works pretty well when connected directly to a power amp for speaker listening.  The headphone amp is nice but I doubt it will attract anyone's attention on here and I probably wont use it too much myself. I am using the 105 to dramatically minimize my system but getting rid of my headamps would just be silly!

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #96 of 258
It'll be interesting to see the Dac specific comparisons and see if can hold up to some of the other well regarded Dac's.. I assume the video quality is top line as well as the Redbook/SACD capabilities.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #97 of 258
Someone from the AVS forum plans to do a DAC comparison. This will take some time. Between the 95 and 105, so far the comments from the AVS forum are the 105 is better at the top, more extension perhaps and presence and a little leaner at the bottom but more extended. My read on this is a little brighter and leaner than the 95. The 95 has been described as lean.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #98 of 258
Quote:
Someone from the AVS forum plans to do a DAC comparison. This will take some time. Between the 95 and 105, so far the comments from the AVS forum are the 105 is better at the top, more extension perhaps and presence and a little leaner at the bottom but more extended. My read on this is a little brighter and leaner than the 95. The 95 has been described as lean.

Time for a Modright tube mod.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #99 of 258
So far, I am not convinced to move up from the BD-83 as a Blu-Ray transport or the Denon DVD-5900 as a Rebook/SACD deck..

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #101 of 258
Quote:

My suspicion is that is just the signature sound of the ESS SABRE32 DAC

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #102 of 258
I've been using the BDP-105 in a 2.1 channel speaker rig.  It's not a bright DAC.  It may be relatively bright but by no means harsh in the treble.  The bass is tight, well-controlled.  If that's lean then so be it but it works for me and for my musical tastes.  Bass is good for me but I use a sub.  I imagine tight bass could be to the benefit of some headphones with bloated bass.  I will try the T50RPs with the Oppo when I have time in order to access the weight of the bass on headphones.   

It's my first Oppo device so I can't say how it compares to the earlier models.  I haven't tried the headphone output yet.  Been primarily using it via USB to SPDIF.  I will get around to buying a longer USB cable so that my computer can reach it.  
By most opinions on the AVS forum the BDP-105 is a substantial upgrade over the earlier models but then one man's substantial is another man's yada yada.  One poster mentioned he liked the 105 much more than his 83SE.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/420

I'm pretty happy with this unit in terms of general characteristics like soundstage, detail, clarity, etc.  Build quality is very good and it should be at $1200.  It's a keeper in my opinion but for those of you with the older models it is a harder decision.  It's an evolution in their product line with some features that not everyone wants.  

I wanted a good blu-ray player for my HT rig that could also serve as an excellent transport for digital audio and play CDs for my 2 channel speaker/headphone rig.  Stick a fork in me because I'm done for at least two years when the vicious cycle begins again.

The Modright mods look interesting but I agree, just buy a tube CD player if that's what people want.  If I decide I want to try a SS amp I don't want my source being affected by a tube mod.  I do hear they will do a non-tube mod as well to the BDP-105.  Do I need a >$2K blu ray player?  Do I need any of this is what I ask myself everyday 
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #103 of 258
I agree with your impressions, WNBC. I'm very much enjoying my 105 as well and I can see keeping it for years to come. It really is a jack-of-all-trades type of player and the sound quality is what I would expect from a SABRE based DAC. As you mentioned, build quality is excellent. I'm really enjoying playing SACDs on the 105.

The fact that the 105 plays blu-rays nicely as well is a nice bonus.

I would recommend the player with only one qualification. There isn't a USB driver out yet for Windows 8. Once they get a new driver out the door I'd recommend the 105 to anyone looking for a solid do-everything source.

The features on this 105 make it an easy buy over the other SABRE based DACs out there at this price point. The 105 really a great value proposition when you look at what it's competitors are doing.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #104 of 258
You may be able to do a win7-compatible install of driver, with driver sig enforcement disabled.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #105 of 258
^

Oppo has indicated that the driver will be out within the next few weeks, so I'll just chill until then.

In the meantime, I've been loading up a USB key with flac files and taking advantage of the DAC that way. It sounds reaaaal noice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back