NEW Monolith M570 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphone
Dec 11, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #166 of 246
Thanks again! Finally got these pads from AE and they are great with M570.

Firstly, they're a bit smaller leading to improved fit: better seal and less sliding.

Sounds like they round off some peaks in upper mids and add more meat to low mids and bass extension. Excellent!

Aye, the pads also work well on M565C...a hidden gem.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #167 of 246
I am craving a second pair of Planars. All I have are the HE 4xxs. If you were buying today would you go with the M570 @199 or the or the 1070s @ $269 to run with a D50 and a schiit magni (I also run a schiit loki so the "it's too high here or there" stuff doesn't impact me much...cause I can tune it to my taste at will).

My inventory consists of: Focal Elear, 6xx, 58xx, Vmoda Crossfades, Fostex Ebony (my favorite of the bunch) and the HE4xxs.

I was going for a basic overall bang for the buck inventory of setup and I think I more or less have that....

However....

My thinking is that the planars are really amazing for the price and if I got a better pair than the 4xx's they might become my new favorites...not sure if that is true but it interests me.

The M570s at $199 look like a solid deal but if the 1070s are THAT much better than I would drop the extra $70 bucks no problem.

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #168 of 246
I am craving a second pair of Planars. All I have are the HE 4xxs. If you were buying today would you go with the M570 @199 or the or the 1070s @ $269 to run with a D50 and a schiit magni (I also run a schiit loki so the "it's too high here or there" stuff doesn't impact me much...cause I can tune it to my taste at will).

My inventory consists of: Focal Elear, 6xx, 58xx, Vmoda Crossfades, Fostex Ebony (my favorite of the bunch) and the HE4xxs.

I was going for a basic overall bang for the buck inventory of setup and I think I more or less have that....

However....

My thinking is that the planars are really amazing for the price and if I got a better pair than the 4xx's they might become my new favorites...not sure if that is true but it interests me.

The M570s at $199 look like a solid deal but if the 1070s are THAT much better than I would drop the extra $70 bucks no problem.

I own both the M570 and the M1070. They sound very different. The M570 is aggressive and crunchy (not in a bad way), while the M1070 is midrange-focused and smooth. Some have had problem with the M1070 headband not fitting properly and not staying put. I don't really have a problem with it so YMMV. The M570's headband is much more standard so fit should be less of an issue.

One other thing to note is that I don't care for the stock pads on the M570. It makes the headphone v-shaped and more boomy. The Sendy Aiva pads work really well on it, cleaning and tightening up the sound across the frequency range. It also seems from the posts above that those oval pads from China also offer an improvement. So you might want to consider budgeting a pad upgrade in if you decide to go for M570.

I found the stock lambskin leather (yes, real leather) earpads of the M1070 to be a really good match for the headphone. I really like the added smoothness it adds to the midrange and it seems like most other earpads lessen the bass on an already non-bass heavy headphone.

Overall, I would say the M1070's sound profile is a larger departure from the 4XX than the M570, so if you want something different, go for the M1070. If you want something that sounds closer to the 4XX, but better, go for the M570.

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #169 of 246
I just acquired the M570's since Monoprice has a sale on them. At $199 they are a good value IMO. I also own the Sendy Audio Aiva's which I am selling now:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...ones-400-w-extra-xlr-balanced-adapter.949589/

I'm selling the Aiva's because the headband system does not work for me with a thin head. Just would not sit comfortably on my noggin. Anyway the M570 is based on the same 97x76mm drivers and I enjoy their performance. These magnetic drivers do perform best with a strong amp as most planars need the power. As mentioned above these drivers have a very up-front/intimate sound and the details and accuracy are fantastic. I also have the HE4XX which is smoother and kind of darker compared to the Aiva/M570's. If you prefer a wider sound stage then the larger driver models would perform better in that area.
My only gripe so far with the M570's is they stained the wood too dark and you can hardly see any grain.

FYI-You can order the Aiva pads here and they fit the M570 cups the same way. They are a bargain at $29: https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/sendyaudio

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #170 of 246
I just acquired the M570's since Monoprice has a sale on them. At $199 they are a good value IMO. I also own the Sendy Audio Aiva's which I am selling now:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...ones-400-w-extra-xlr-balanced-adapter.949589/

I'm selling the Aiva's because the headband system does not work for me with a thin head. Just would not sit comfortably on my noggin. Anyway the M570 is based on the same 97x76mm drivers and I enjoy their performance. These magnetic drivers do perform best with a strong amp as most planars need the power. As mentioned above these drivers have a very up-front/intimate sound and the details and accuracy are fantastic. I also have the HE4XX which is smoother and kind of darker compared to the Aiva/M570's. If you prefer a wider sound stage then the larger driver models would perform better in that area.
My only gripe so far with the M570's is they stained the wood too dark and you can hardly see any grain.

FYI-You can order the Aiva pads here and they fit the M570 cups the same way. They are a bargain at $29: https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/sendyaudio

I had $30 in Amazon credit and got a $50 Amazon card from work for Christmas.

That means I just picked these up for $120 before tax.....

So now I have two pairs of Planars.

If I keep on...I also will need to look for a couple pair to sell soon....but I don't really want to part with anything.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #172 of 246
Does anyone experiencing channel imbalance on certain frequency? I've seen few post on this thread earlier but not sure if Monoprice have fixed this issue.

The driver matching isn't great on my pair, but I suspect this will vary from unit to unit. And on my pair it's a small enough range that it doesn't detract from normal listening, I can only hear it when I do frequency sweeps. Fun fact, my Takstar HF-580 had better matched drivers... but the build/looks/removable cable were more than worth it for the M570 to replace it.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #175 of 246
Have anyone paired this with the monolith amp?
I've paired with Liquid Platinum and portable THX AAA = great monolith synergy.:L3000:

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #176 of 246
Just bought this on a whim as I really do not need another HP :sweat_smile:, but curiosity and Head-fi lurking got me. The M570 came in today and upon initial listening, I heard the treble harshness most people are talking about, but I am loving the sound of it. The build quality is top notch compared to my HE400s and HE1000. It is quite heavy tho not as heavy as my HE1000.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #177 of 246
*If anyone that has done pad swap on the 570, and wants to sell the stock pads, let me know.
I ordered the M570, used them for 2-3 weeks, and then bought the Sivga P2, did A/B to hear the differences, M570s for me were much more open, bigger soundstage, but the highs were just too difficult to tame, also there is a big weight difference, so they went back, keeping the Sivgas. I do however miss the pads, cant buy them anywhere.

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #179 of 246
I am considering getting a magnetic planar as an upgrade to my sen 650. Prices on monoprice are amazing and reviews are rave. Are there any QC issues leading to varying quality on individual copies of the headset?
y set had no problems other than the weight and treble spike. Stock cable is really good, and they were really comfortable. Build quality was great.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #180 of 246
after a month of owning this, i thought i was done with headphone but nope..... i love how they sound and i dont have any imbalance i could detect with my ears. I actually modded my cups and added some sound baffle on 80% of the back opening and it made the sound less air but more pronounce which is the type of sound i was looking for. This mod works with adding electrical tape on the outside too if you are not confident enough to play with the innards of the cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back