NEW Monolith M570 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphone
Jun 8, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #241 of 246
Got my M570s today and they are great! I will definitely need some amplification to take them on longer trips - which is why I bought them in the first place. My little Walkman doesn't have enough juice for them, so the bass is a tiny bit weak and the treble sizzles too much. But the 90s Yamaha preamp in my big 2 channel system powers them very nicely. The headphone output on that specs about 300 mW so at least I have a number to shoot for.

Not sure whether I will look for a dedicated head amp to add to my Walkman or just look for a new DAP altogether.

Either way, for $120 these were quite a buy.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #242 of 246
How do these compare to the Sundara’s? I’m new to planners but weight is a big factor for me. I currently have Focal Clears and 6xx’s but always wanted to try planners.

Jun 8, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #243 of 246
Got my M570s today and they are great! I will definitely need some amplification to take them on longer trips - which is why I bought them in the first place. My little Walkman doesn't have enough juice for them, so the bass is a tiny bit weak and the treble sizzles too much. But the 90s Yamaha preamp in my big 2 channel system powers them very nicely. The headphone output on that specs about 300 mW so at least I have a number to shoot for.

Not sure whether I will look for a dedicated head amp to add to my Walkman or just look for a new DAP altogether.

Either way, for $120 these were quite a buy.
Congrats! I've also read in different forum threads here on HeadFi that the headphone output on vintage A/V receiver-amps work well with planar headphones.

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #244 of 246
How do these compare to the Sundara’s? I’m new to planners but weight is a big factor for me. I currently have Focal Clears and 6xx’s but always wanted to try planners.
I don't know anything about the Sundaras, but these are definitely not light. TBH they're downright heavy. It's not a big issue for me since I do most of my listening in some degree of lying down (couch or recliner, etc) but I wouldn't want to wear them in a situation where I'm solely responsible for keeping my head upright.

Some kind of suspension strap would probably be a really good mod to these.

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #245 of 246
After a week of listening to these, they are definitely keepers, but whether you like them probably depends greatly on what you're using to power them.

They sound fantastic hooked directly into my vintage Yamaha preamp (CX-830). Surprisingly, they also sound really good with two small Rockbox players (Sansa Clip+ and Benjie T6). Thick, textured, fast midbass with enough sub-bass to rattle my eardrums on musical peaks. Airy highs - cymbals can be a little jagged sometimes but it's only noticeable on certain types of music. They really live in the 800-3500 hz range. Female vocals are incredible and anything with good lead guitar sounds out of this world.

On the other hand, they sound awful on my Walkman NWA-45 - virtually no output below 100 hz and sizzly painful treble - and I've given up trying to get good sound with them on that. They also sound bad on my NAD 7225, vocals sound hollow and echoey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back