NEW Monolith M570 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphone
May 19, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #226 of 246
If at all possible I recommend test driving the M570, Sendy Aiva, or a Sivga P-II as each model uses the same type planar drivers to get a feel if you like the sound.
Overall I do enjoy these HPs and one thing I found is they respond better on some tube/hybrid amps than the Audeze and DCA planars I own. The drivers have a 32 Ohm impedance which is not that hard to push but the magnets like a strong current from solid state amps to get best response. Right now I'm using a Geshelli J2 DAC to Nitsch Piety or the Violectric V222 amp and the M570 is pairing well on those. They tend to be a little bright on other amps I've used which is not bad for me as my old ears are getting harder to hear higher frequencies.
Thank you for your reply. Being 45 y.o. I also like a brighter sound, which younger people may find too harsh/hot.
I wish I could test drive all of them, but under current circumstances I won't be able to do that for the next couple of months.

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #227 of 246
I'm thinking about getting a pair of these, anything I should know.

I have some loyalty to the Monolith brand at this point, I have their original turntable which is still great and a pair of the Encore T6 towers which IMO sound like $2000+ true hi-fi speakers.

I listen to a little bit of everything, these days it's mostly death metal and electro-pop but I'm all over the map so I appreciate some versatility and a flattish frequency response so I can EQ to my preference.

I guess the other question would be how much power I need to actually drive them, I don't have a headphone amp right now. I have a Walkman NWA45 at the office and at home I generally plug directly into my Yamaha CX-830 (stereo preamp from the early 90s).

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #228 of 246
I think these phones rock, especially at $143. They sound great! They are easy to drive on my Oppo-HA.

The quality is top notch, for $143 it’s an amazing deal.

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #229 of 246
Musictek used to carry the replacement pads for the Aiva/Sivga/M570 but no longer. Looks like AliExpreess has some here:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800528283235.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

I finally picked up these sivga pads. They sound similar to the originals, but not quite as good. It’s a bit of a flatter, colder sound compared, but it’s minimal. They do sound quite the same.

It’s great I have a spare pair to put away when the originals get worn out.

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #230 of 246

I have some loyalty to the Monolith brand at this point, I have their original turntable which is still great and a pair of the Encore T6 towers which IMO sound like $2000+ true hi-fi speakers.

I listen to a little bit of everything, these days it's mostly death metal and electro-pop but I'm all over the map so I appreciate some versatility and a flattish frequency response so I can EQ to my preference.

I guess the other question would be how much power I need to actually drive them, I don't have a headphone amp right now. I have a Walkman NWA45 at the office and at home I generally plug directly into my Yamaha CX-830 (stereo preamp from the early 90s).
Generally orthodynamic/planar magnets perform much better with amplification. Mobile phones and such can play these but it'll sound kind of anemic.
I've found the M570's responds pretty well to most amps types I've tried: solid-state, hybrid tubes or Output Transformerless (OTL) which are the old-school full analog tube amps. My recommendation without a lot of expense would be a Schiit Magni or the Nitsch Piety "MagPi" which is a modified Magni with a nice sound that leans a bit toward a warmish analog sound.
It's getting favorable impressions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nitsch-x-schiit-magni-piety-impressions-thread.964304/

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #231 of 246
I have a Monolith Liquid Platinum and I was quite surprised how good the M570 sounded on the Oppo portable HA. Plenty of power and did not sound anemic.

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #232 of 246

I personally find their more aggressive sound well rounded for most genres but especially good for rock as long as it's not mixed like total garbage. One of my favorite album pairings with them is Pretty Reckless - Going To Hell. The aggressive, punchy nature of the album syncs well with the M570. They can be a little hot/sibilant with some mixes so if you are treble sensitive you might have to knock that down with EQ.

As for power, I think the M570 isn't particularly easy to drive. It's no HE-6, but it takes more juice than some of my other planars. I would probably recommend an amp for the best experience but it wouldn't have to be anything crazy. Depending on the volume you listen at and how much you have to drop the gain to do your EQ it might require an amp to get loud enough for you. For some perspective, I listen around 70-75db generally and using FiiO K5 Pro which puts out about 1.5 watts at 32 ohms I typically listen at 10 o'clock on high or about noon on low gain with my -7db preamp drop in my EQ. So, plenty of headroom, but it's definitely not like some of my easy to drive dynamics that can be powered by a gentle breeze.

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #233 of 246
I’m treble sensitive and I don’t find these hot/sibilant at all. I think these sound very smooth.

Jun 2, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #234 of 246
I’m treble sensitive and I don’t find these hot/sibilant at all. I think these sound very smooth.
Sorry,i was in a rush when I wrote that last post and wasn't super clear what I was talking about. It really depends on which frequencies bother you. I'm particularly sensitive to 3-5khz. These don't sound that smooth to me compared to things like M565, my modded M1060, or M1070 which is what I was comparing it to in my mind.

I should have been more specific since "treble" can be such a large area of the spectrum. I will agree that from around 7khz up it's not bad, it's more the 4-6khz region I was talking about being "hot" since that's what I notice more. But 8khz and up treble doesn't bother me at all, just look at the Beyers I own lol.

Jun 5, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #235 of 246
So I'm gonna grab a pair of these and a small Chi-fi headphone amp, I need to find something that works with my little Walkman. That thing has a pretty good DAC so I think I can skip buyng one of those for now.

Jun 5, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #236 of 246
Get the Liquid Spark.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #240 of 246
Where are you finding these for $143?
Amazon, also when I saved them on my wish list with Monoprice on eBay they sent me that price to buy it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back