New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #407 of 952
Only Sony ZX300 sounds better than the DAPs you listed especially on balanced out.
Thanks. I went for the Plenue D.

My top requirements were battery life and sound quality, I don't need Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. I will only use this DAP on flights every other month. For the same reason I am not too bothered about balanced output. I won't buy new cables for this little use.

D2 is £259, M9 is £229, DX120 is £249. The ZX300 is £430. I wanted to spend as little as possible so ended up with a first gen Plenue D for £175 new with warranty.

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #409 of 952
Apr 11, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #412 of 952
I just bought one of these. Hope it’s something different than I’m used to (Shanling M3s). I liked the addition of the DSP effects and dual chip balanced. it’s got Cirrus chips that I’m not familiar with.
Was looking at the IBasso DX120, but decided to roll the dice on this little guy instead. Battery life is outrageous, which is good. Will let you know what I think when I get it...

Apr 11, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #413 of 952
I just bought one of these. Hope it’s something different than I’m used to (Shanling M3s). I liked the addition of the DSP effects and dual chip balanced. it’s got Cirrus chips that I’m not familiar with.
Was looking at the IBasso DX120, but decided to roll the dice on this little guy instead. Battery life is outrageous, which is good. Will let you know what I think when I get it...
Cirrus rocks. I can't decide if I want this or not. My Opus also utilizes Cirrus, but I'm very curious if this dap sounds even better than the Opus. If it does, it must be spectacular.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #416 of 952
I just have one question for Cowon owners...how are they on firmware updates? I read their specs and promo material and they wrote ‘128gb expansion for now’ which kind of hinted that they might change that. Just hoping.
They certainly don't have as many fw updates, simply because they are not required. Unlike FiiO, Ibasso, Opus, A&K (I have them all), Cowon releases a finished products that work straight out of the box, so fw updates are ussualy minor tweaks but core functionality of their players is there from day one. PD and PD2 are only hindured by a very limited storage space on board and as a microsd expension. Other than that they easily do their job as it says on the tin. My list of Cowons is: D2, D2+, S9, X7, X9, PD PM2.
To answer your last question, I am not sure if they will ever be able to support higher capacity cards on PD2, since PD never moved on further than original 128Gb.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #418 of 952
How is SQ of PD2 vs. PM2? Thanks!
I never heard PD2 ( I have PD and PM2) and between these 2 there is a small difference in the way that PD has somehow more relaxed darker sound, while PM2 does sound like a step up , better controlled bass that can really go deep down and dirty, slightly more revealing details and richer sound overall. To my ears it is worth the price difference . Also, since I always use custom EQ settings on PM2 you can save up to 12 (or 16 if Im not mistaken ) custom EQ presets and almost unlimited number of playlists on the go, where PD only allows for 4 custom EQ presets and up to 10 playlists on the flyer.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #419 of 952
I never heard PD2 ( I have PD and PM2) and between these 2 there is a small difference in the way that PD has somehow more relaxed darker sound, while PM2 does sound like a step up , better controlled bass that can really go deep down and dirty, slightly more revealing details and richer sound overall. To my ears it is worth the price difference . Also, since I always use custom EQ settings on PM2 you can save up to 12 (or 16 if Im not mistaken ) custom EQ presets and almost unlimited number of playlists on the go, where PD only allows for 4 custom EQ presets and up to 10 playlists on the flyer.

Thanks! Maybe it was my mistake. What i wanted to asked is Plenue D2 vs. PM2 ... .

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #420 of 952
funny how there's a cowon D2 (and D2+) outside of the plenue line, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back