New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Apr 1, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #376 of 952
@castleofargh thanks for the terminology input. English is my third language, and it's not like they thought us electrical engineering there :D

@sebna your gear list reads very fancy, but it doesn't even mention the PD2 and what soundstage-less head/earphones you used with it... Maybe there wasn't any space left amidst the amazing cablegrace?

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #377 of 952
I tested the PD2 with both IEMs from the sig (Mee P1 and KPE) and reference point for the sound-stage were my old and trusty Denon AH-1001 (so nothing too fancy) and in sources department. Gaming PC and HTC One M7 were used for testing.

Both HTC One m7 and my gaming PC (sigh) are producing much better soundstage using same set of HPs (as mentioned above).

You will not squeeze max out of any system without good and matched to the system cables. They do not have to be expensive, they just need to be good. Unfortunately exceptional cables are usually very expensive. Of course system must be good enough as well for the cables to make difference and there is no point to match mediocre system with high-end cables. I guess it is all common knowledge.

The beauty of portable systems is that cables are almost an non issue as there is nowhere to plug them :wink:

I have also ordered JVC IEMs but they will not be in time to test them with PD2 as my return window will be closing soon and I will be availing of it so soon enough you will get rid of me from here and all my "non-sense" will go with me....

Cheers

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #378 of 952
Hello,

Haven’t quite made up my mind but I’m thinking of keeping the Plenue D2 since I don’t need that and the Opus.

I’ve read the online manual but it’s not clear to me ...
1. How to determine the current firmware version running on the device.
2. How to find the latest version and download it.

This is all pretty simple with the Opus and was also easy with iBasso. I haven’t found the Cowon manufacturer website that makes any sense regarding firmware downloads.

Thanks

Brian
Note: One of my kids recently won this but he wanted money so I ‘converted it’ to cash for him.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #379 of 952
Hello,

Haven’t quite made up my mind but I’m thinking of keeping the Plenue D2 since I don’t need that and the Opus.

I’ve read the online manual but it’s not clear to me ...
1. How to determine the current firmware version running on the device.
2. How to find the latest version and download it.

This is all pretty simple with the Opus and was also easy with iBasso. I haven’t found the Cowon manufacturer website that makes any sense regarding firmware downloads.

Thanks

Brian
Note: One of my kids recently won this but he wanted money so I ‘converted it’ to cash for him.
Here it is English and very simple:http://www.cowonglobal.com/

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #383 of 952
Apr 2, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #384 of 952
WhatHifi is a massive scam... They don't even bother to deliver measurements or name the headphones they used...

A typical bunch of snake oil priests that make a ton of money off of the naivety of their readers.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #386 of 952
how on earth do they arrive at a 4/5 for "features"? ^^;
(especially while disregarding balanced output as a feature few would use...)

speaking of balanced, is there any sane reason one might prefer (sound-wise) the single ended output or am i hallucinating?

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #388 of 952
how on earth do they arrive at a 4/5 for "features"? ^^;
(especially while disregarding balanced output as a feature few would use...)

speaking of balanced, is there any sane reason one might prefer (sound-wise) the single ended output or am i hallucinating?

@counterclockwise,
As @shigzeo stated, all depends on the implementation & how well stuff is wired, components, etc.

Personally & subjectively, I prefer 3.5 mm, 3.5 Balanced & 4.4 mm Pentaconn over 2.5 mm Balanced as 'better' standards as more often than not, they are harder to mess up overall though it is still possible, nothing is infaliable.
Where sound is concerned, personally & subjectively, there are certainly more single ended I have heard over many years listening to gear at different levels which quality wise blow the balanced out the water but that is more a humble opinion than anything else.

Hope you have a great day !

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #389 of 952
Ok so this is my second D2 as the first one went a bit “do dally”, so sent it back. Anyway, the new player is working like a charm. I’m still blown away by how good it sounds, listening to “Bob Sega – Still the Same” is like he is playing in the same room, it’s really that good.

The player has its faults – too small, no BT, no streaming, slow UI and looks like a toy.

However, if sound is really important to you then get this DAP (play with the EQ setting to get best results)

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #390 of 952
Ok so this is my second D2 as the first one went a bit “do dally”, so sent it back. Anyway, the new player is working like a charm. I’m still blown away by how good it sounds, listening to “Bob Sega – Still the Same” is like he is playing in the same room, it’s really that good.

The player has its faults – too small, no BT, no streaming, slow UI and looks like a toy.

However, if sound is really important to you then get this DAP (play with the EQ setting to get best results)
All the entry level and mid tier Cowons are all about EQ and you need to EQ to get the best out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back