New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Mar 8, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #196 of 952
So just to sum up.

PD2 has in fact two balanced outputs:

1) advertised 2.5mm balanced
2) but also 3.5mm which will accept 3.5mm balanced jack and send fully balanced signal over it even tough the product is not advertised to do it?

Is the above correct - this is what I am getting from your numerous posts on the subject?

Or do you mean that you can plug 3.5mm balanced into normal port and it will also work (in unbalanced fashion)?

Or do you mean something completely different altogether :)

Also - thank you for answer regarding PD2 powering P1 or other HPs. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
seb

Hi @sebna,

No problem,

Happy to help.

Just to clarify :

Yes, you read my posts correctly, PD 2 has two balanced outputs :
2.5 mm balanced as advertised
3.5 mm balanced as not advertised.

So basically, if you have any 3.5 balanced cables, not microphone capable, you will hear both the left & right channel as you would in standard unbalanced 3.5 mm on both PDs or any device (some IFI amps, they call their version S Drive) for that matter, which supports the 3.5 mm balanced.

In general, Balanced Connections, be it 3.5 mm, 2.5 mm or even 4.4 Pentaconn, will only work if the output supports it, eg balanced circuit with the appropriate grounds.
Otherwise, if not not supported, you will only hear one channel, usually the left but sometimes it can be swapped.
So when it comes down to it, how the circuit is implemented & wired matters.
At its most basic level, balanced connections generally mean a better audio signal first & foremost though depending on the implementation & wiring, the quality of that better also is determined by other factors too long to go in here but basically head gear & device specs.
There are a few DAPs & head amps, especially the latter, I have heard, which only have Single Ended Head Out, personally & subjectively, SOUND BETTER than most balanced, especially 2.5 mm.

This is why the PD 2 & PD are unique as this has been the only DAPs I have come across which have 3.5 mm balanced as standard which is not only uncommon but isn't advertised.

Hope this all makes sense.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #197 of 952
No problem, happy to help.

I can see what you mean regarding the sound on the PD compared to the PR which I agree is a little smoother though it depends what music you listen to, for most I have, there is no real difference as I like both DAPs.
As stated, only due to PR's power button placement, I don't use it on the go much.

So how is the sound of the D2 compared to the D?

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #198 of 952
Mar 8, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #201 of 952
No problem, happy to help.

I can see what you mean regarding the sound on the PD compared to the PR which I agree is a little smoother though it depends what music you listen to, for most I have, there is no real difference as I like both DAPs.
As stated, only due to PR's power button placement, I don't use it on the go much.

Okay, so PD2 is brigth and dry in Tonality, right? And Resolution and Soundstage is on par with DX120?

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #202 of 952
Okay, so PD2 is brigth and dry in Tonality, right? And Resolution and Soundstage is on par with DX120?

LOL! That is quite over-assumptive :). He says quite often the difference are so small that he cannot be even bothered with them which is what you expect from source component of this level.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #203 of 952
I have nearly 2000 songs, pretty much all are in ogg except for a few which are in the orignal flac which the latter I have heard in ogg, mp3 & some of the higher res formats as I was curious.
Bottom line, I cannot hear any difference whatsoever
I have heard many high end systems & formats & this holds true as well.
Honestly, I don't care what format someone encodes in either, as long as the source quality is good & well produced, doesn't matter what the thing is, all well & good.

A conclusion I've come to. Now instead of worrying about only Flac and higher res, all my music on my DAP is MP3 320kbps. I now only need 50-60 GB space so no need for expensive micro cards. (Martin Prince emoticon) :grin:

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #205 of 952
A conclusion I've come to. Now instead of worrying about only Flac and higher res, all my music on my DAP is MP3 320kbps. I now only need 50-60 GB space so no need for expensive micro cards. (Martin Prince emoticon) :grin:

On good speaker system difference between 320kb MP3 -> CD quality -> HighRez files is quite noticeable if the recording is of good quality in the first place. Difference between 320 MP3 and hi-rez is just huge. Again on quality speaker system and recording.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #206 of 952
DX120 is the same price.. .

I was referring to his assumption about differences between PD2 and PR. I should have trim the quote it seems.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #207 of 952
On good speaker system difference between 320kb MP3 -> CD quality -> HighRez files is quite noticeable if the recording is of good quality in the first place. Difference between 320 MP3 and hi-rez is just huge. Again on quality speaker system and recording.

Yes you'd probably hear a (slight?) difference using a quality desktop setup, but for portable use I'm happy with MP3.
But I'd take a well mastered 320kbps over an averagely recorded Hi-res file, whatever it's being played on - good desktop or DAP.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #208 of 952
Yes you'd probably hear a (slight?) difference using a quality desktop setup, but for portable use I'm happy with MP3.
But I'd take a well mastered 320kbps over an averagely recorded Hi-res file, whatever it's being played on - good desktop or DAP.

I guess this is reasonable approach. I do not have much experience with modern high-end portable setups but maybe on those having Flacs makes a noticeable difference as well.

Anyway how critical one want to get with portable setup? It is meant to be listened on the go so I guess critical listening is not highest of the priorities?

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #209 of 952
No answers here regarding the SQ. So i think its not too good sounding... .

the work has kept me locked up, I'm sorry.

I have had the opportunity to put the two face to face. The sound of the Plenue is more achieved. It is more musical, more defined and crystalline. Both at the same volume, and with the same filter. Both by SE (I have not used balanced)
But I said it in another post. The P1 with the PD2 battery would no longer be the P1, that is the reality. There is nothing perfect in this life.
But that does not mean that the sound is bad either. It's stupid. We have to enjoy music. And the PD2 is a lot of enjoyment. I do not like to put DAPs face to face to see who gets more detail ... because then you never finish aspiring to other things if you do not put limits.
by the way, with ims imr1 zenith, and supertramp en flac. Little more can I say.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #210 of 952

I agree. Huge music capabilities that we never hear. It is not necessary to have everything huge :) It must be useful.
And I certainly have recordings in different formats. And the source or the initial recording is very important. Sometimes I do notice certain differences, but many factors can enter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back