New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Mar 5, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #181 of 952
I have just ordered one. I have also ordered Mee P1. I mean to keep both but I have 30 days return policy so it is really a test of how good they are and if like the combo.

Will D2 be enough to drive the P1?

I also have my old and trusty HTC One M7 to which I will be comparing in terms of mobile source and RHA MA750i to which I will be comparing the the P1 and also some other IEMs I bought for comparison as they are supposed to be giant killers.

Thanks

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #182 of 952
I'm thinking of buying either Plenue D2, original Plenue D or Plenue R. I've heard good things about them but there seems to be a lag that annoys most people and would most likely annoy me as well. My priorities are battery life, less lag and space. Which of these three would you suggest?

Thanks

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #183 of 952
Before answering or responding to others on the thread, just have to say it's great the PD2 supports 3.5 mm balanced like the PD.
For those wondering why this would matter, all I can say is stronger audio signal among other things.
Why this really matters...I suggest reading up on electronic theory.
Personally & subjectively, I am not a fan of 2.5 mm balanced for various reasons & not here for a debate on why that is so more often than not, tolerate the input but I do like 4.4 mm Pentaconn as the better, logical step where balanced connection is concerned short of XLR but that's another story.

Personally & subjectively, I prefer good sound quality & battery life than any concessions to High Res just for the sake.
For anyone who might complain further, I use .ogg which I am more than happy with.

Now onto helping others on this thread...

@goody, @maira,

Sound quality for PD 2 is just as good if not slightly better (Source quality & Head Gear Dependant) but not by much than the PD.

@maira,

Depends on what you want to compare, personally & subjectively, both PD & PD 2 has better sound quality & battery life than most DAPs out there in similar price ranges.

@Centagon999

Not much difference between the PD & PD 2 where sound is concerned as already highlighted.
Early days yet but so far, I don't mind PD 2 as an alternative to the PD despite being so similar soundwise it's almost the same.
The DX 120 is the only other DAP not Cowon in use but that is a different sound & level again...

@SciOC,

Sadly, when it comes to technology, luck of the draw, when I first got the PD, that unit left channel died within a few weeks, luckily Cowon directed me to a local agent who replaced it & it has been going strong ever since.
So when it comes down to it, as most should know by now, customer service makes all the difference.
For this reason, early adoption is a load of crock, more often than not, especially in this past time, it doesn't hurt to wait.
Regardless, hope you manage to sort out something.

@sebna,

PD2 will drive pretty much anything like the PD, so unless you have something else with ridiculously high impedence then you should be more than fine though but if you run anything high impedence, you should be using an amp anyway.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 7, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #184 of 952
I'm thinking of buying either Plenue D2, original Plenue D or Plenue R. I've heard good things about them but there seems to be a lag that annoys most people and would most likely annoy me as well. My priorities are battery life, less lag and space. Which of these three would you suggest?

Thanks

Hi @zaarog,

Unfortunately, both PD & PD 2 have lag on startup though it is minimal & has to do with quality & quantity of music files.
If Cowon did manage to upgrade their UI implementation one day then this would make all their players almost con free but like with anything, there is always a compromise.
The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want to live with.
Granted, both processors don't have the fastest RAM implementation either which adds to this.
Having a fast SD card does help but only a little.
Otherwise playback & switching tracks is smooth & responsive during use.
PD & PD 2 support balanced 3.5 mm on the head out which means it makes it easy to power just about anything unless said head gear is above 100 ohms though it can still run most above this reasonably.
But having an external head amp to complement high impedence when necessary doesn't hurt.
On either, 3.5 hours to charge for 45 hours (PD 2) / 100 hours (PD) is still considered the most amazing in the industry.
Also there is a peusdo fast charge function built in which for every 20 mins charging not from the mains (From a computer during file transfer & maintaince), it does minimum 20 % though I believe the average is closer to 30 %.

I have the Plenue R too & while it is a good DAP, it is not as powerful in reality as PD or PD 2 which is contrary to what it says on paper.
If the PR is in tight pocket, especially filled, on the go, the power button can still switch itself off even when locked.
I don't use it that much personally for these reasons.
As a final note on the Plenue family, it is hard for any DAP at any level to beat the battery life on PD or PD2.

iBasso DX 120 is definitely an alternative I suggest looking at for startup speed & similar sound to PD & PD 2 though depending on head gear & source quality, there can be better staging, imaging & extension.
With the quick charge it has, 2 hours to charge for 16 hours ain't bad.

So in closing, hope this is all useful to you & if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #185 of 952
Hi @zaarog,

Unfortunately, both PD & PD 2 have lag on startup though it is minimal & has to do with quality & quantity of music files.
If Cowon did manage to upgrade their UI implementation one day then this would make all their players almost con free but like with anything, there is always a compromise.
Granted, both processors don't have the fastest RAM implementation either which adds to this.
PD & PD 2 support balanced 3.5 mm on the head out which means it makes it easy to power just about anything unless said head gear is above 100 ohms though it can still run most above this reasonably.
But having an external head amp to complement high impedence when necessary doesn't hurt.
On either, 3.5 hours to charge for 45 hours (PD 2) / 100 hours (PD) is still considered the most amazing in the industry.
Also there is a peusdo fast charge function built in which for every 20 mins charging not from the mains (From a computer during file transfer & maintaince), it does minimum 20 % though I believe the average is closer to 30 %.

I have the Plenue R too & while it is a good DAP, it is not as powerful in reality as PD or PD 2 which is contrary to what it says on paper.
If the PR is in tight pocket, especially filled, on the go, the power button can still switch itself off even when locked.
As a final note on the Plenue family, it is hard for any DAP at any level to beat the battery life on PD or PD2.

iBasso DX 120 is definitely an alternative I suggest looking at for startup speed & similar sound to PD & PD 2 though depending on head gear & source quality, there can be better staging, imaging & extension.

So in closing, hope this is all useful to you & if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Wow, this is really helpful! I think I'm leaning more towards iBasso DX 120 actually. Thanks a lot for your help!

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #187 of 952
Huh? The d2 has a 2.5mm balanced out.... Didn't think the 3.5 mm port supports balanced..

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #188 of 952
Before answering or responding to others on the thread, just have to say it's great the PD2 supports 3.5 mm balanced like the PD.
For those wondering why this would matter, all I can say is stronger audio signal among other things.
Why this really matters...I suggest reading up on electronic theory.
Personally & subjectively, I am not a fan of 2.5 mm balanced for various reasons & not here for a debate on why that is so more often than not, tolerate the input but I do like 4.4 mm Pentaconn as the better, logical step where balanced connection is concerned short of XLR but that's another story.

Personally & subjectively, I prefer good sound quality & battery life than any concessions to High Res just for the sake.
For anyone who might complain further, I use .ogg which I am more than happy with.

I trust Cowon enough in their sound quality department, also no one said anything about taking their whole library. You seem to miss the point here, even 512GB wouldn't be enough for my whole FLAC library. Its 2019, hell the budget FiiO M3K & M0 can support Higher Memory Card. Personally & subjectively, At around $300 its a joke to not support higher cards.

Cowon has always been at the top of my list for SQ & Battery life. Personally & subjectively Not everyone uses ogg and honestly If I cant magically convert my whole library in a minute to ogg I don't care. Same reasoning for DSD.

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #189 of 952
Hi @zaarog,

Have you compared the the D2 and the R yet, sound quality wise? I'd sell my R for a D2, but need to know if it has the same sound quality.

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #190 of 952
Have you compared the the D2 and the R yet, sound quality wise? I'd sell my R for a D2, but need to know if it has the same sound quality.

Hi @ottar,

Sound Quality is Cowon Sound, if this makes sense.
There is no real simple answer to that as a good aquaintance on here will say, 'no one else has your hearing or head', so your mileage will vary.
So essentially, both PR & PD2 sound the same to a certain extent.
The only difference is the PD 2 & PD, for example, have more actual power than on specs which improves dynamics, staging, clarity, etc

Not to mention, PD 2 has good battery life, a balanced 3.5 mm out which serves to carry a better signal if you use it in line out or have balanced 3.5 mm cable for your head gear.

The last question is do you like how your PR sounds?
If yes, then you will have no issue if you add more power to the mix.

Hope this all makes sense.
Feel free to ask more if you need.

Huh? The d2 has a 2.5mm balanced out.... Didn't think the 3.5 mm port supports balanced..

Hi @SciOC,

Mentioned this way back in the PD thread about the 3.5 mm being balanced & may or may not have mentioned in this thread, hoping the PD 2 had the same.

I am glad 3.5 mm balanced exists as an option as it is nice to have in general whether one uses it or not.
Stronger audio signal never hurts especially if the signal is good in the first place.

[merged]

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #191 of 952
Hi @ottar,

Sound Quality is Cowon Sound, if this makes sense.
There is no real simple answer to that as a good aquaintance on here will say, 'no one else has your hearing or head', so your mileage will vary.
So essentially, both PR & PD2 sound the same to a certain extent.
The only difference is the PD 2 & PD, for example, have more actual power than on specs which improves dynamics, staging, clarity, etc

Not to mention, PD 2 has good battery life, a balanced 3.5 mm out which serves to carry a better signal if you use it in line out or have balanced 3.5 mm cable for your head gear.

The last question is do you like how your PR sounds?
If yes, then you will have no issue if you add more power to the mix.

Hope this all makes sense.
Feel free to ask more if you need.

I mean I have a D and the R sounds better than the normal D. But from the looks of it I guess the D2 is improved enough to match the R?

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #192 of 952
Anyone got it already? Have the improved the screen resolution? Does it really only support SD-Cards up to 128GB?

Hi @pnzr,

Screen resolution is the same as PD.

As far as I am aware & since I have no higher than 128 GB cards to test, that should be the limit.
Cowon generally does a hard limit on external memory for all their players.
But if anyone has higher cards, I would be curious to see if it works.

I mean I have a D and the R sounds better than the normal D. But from the looks of it I guess the D2 is improved enough to match the R?

Hi @ottar,

Oh, I see what you mean, sound is subjective so honestly, all three sound good to me though I tend to use PD & PD 2 on the go more than the PR.
This is due to when the PR is In tight pockets, especially if one has coins, etc, in said pocket, the PR, even when power button is locked, can still turn itself off.

Personally & subjectively, while I enjoy both sound wise, I lean towards both PDs.

[merged]

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #194 of 952
Oh, really? Interesting. For me the D sounds a bit more brash and bombastic and the R sounds more refined somehow. Guess I'll stick with it for now.

No problem, happy to help.

I can see what you mean regarding the sound on the PD compared to the PR which I agree is a little smoother though it depends what music you listen to, for most I have, there is no real difference as I like both DAPs.
As stated, only due to PR's power button placement, I don't use it on the go much.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #195 of 952
So just to sum up.

PD2 has in fact two balanced outputs:

1) advertised 2.5mm balanced
2) but also 3.5mm which will accept 3.5mm balanced jack and send fully balanced signal over it even tough the product is not advertised to do it?

Is the above correct - this is what I am getting from your numerous posts on the subject?

Or do you mean that you can plug 3.5mm balanced into normal port and it will also work (in unbalanced fashion)?

Or do you mean something completely different altogether :)

Also - thank you for answer regarding PD2 powering P1 or other HPs. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
seb

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back