New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #901 of 952
Hi,

Currently using a refurbished ipod classic. I have gotten used to itunes and how smooth that works for my taste in music (classical and opera). Finding the right album can be a real headache if I search by artist, album or song. An example would be one recording I have of Tristan und Isolde. CD1 had all the metadata in order, CD2 and 3 only displayed track numbers when I ripped them. There are other problems as well. Name of the work/album can be in english on some, german on others. It also varies if the composer, conductor or soloist is considered the "artist."

Anyway, I got used to creating playlists in itunes. I can create an infinte number of playlists without fiddling with the metadata or any tags. Can I do roughly the same thing with the folder system in the D2? And can I have folders within a folder (if I have numerous recordings of the same work)?

Lastly, how many characters are visable on the screen as you scroll through your list of folders? I wanna get an idea of how long the titles can be as I name my folders. Maybe someone could post pictures of their screen?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dan

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #902 of 952
I have a question!
I love my Sennheiser HD600 and wonder if the Cowon plenue D2 would be powerful enough to drive my HD600 ?
I tried them with my Samsung smartphone but that was not good. They need a lot more power to make the listening good.

/Cheers Gunnar

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #903 of 952
I have a question!
I love my Sennheiser HD600 and wonder if the Cowon plenue D2 would be powerful enough to drive my HD600 ?
I tried them with my Samsung smartphone but that was not good. They need a lot more power to make the listening good.

/Cheers Gunnar
In the review of the Plenue R2 on Headfonia the author uses the HD600 and says it sounds great. So I’d guess the D2 could handle it. You’d want to use the balanced port for the extra power.

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #905 of 952
I'm really frustrated with this little piece of crap...

Because the DB update takes literally FOREVER, it usually shuts off the dap again before you realise that it finished. (Happens all the time, because it often takes 5minutes and more for it to start.)
So, I listened to you guys and switched it to sleep mode. That way, however, the battery drains SUPER quickly. Where I had weeks of listening before, I charge it up and have an empty battery after one week of NOT using it.

I just recently bought a pair of Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB microSD cards. Unfortunately, the player won't recognise it. And since the menu is complete and utter crap, there is no way of knowing, what the problem is.
I reformatted the damn card half a dozen times, copied my files over (the identical files I had on the 32GB card before) and it still doesn't work.

The manual says, you have to format it using FAT32 if it's 132GB or larger, which is ridiculous, since there is no FAT32 format for storage media this large.

The SD card works fine in other devices, so shouldn't be the issue.

While I love the sound and battery life of the D2, I really hate everything else about it. If only the FiiO X5II had the same battery life, I would've friggin' ditched the Cowon long ago.
Know that's an old thread, just wanted to report the same problem as @mbphotox above. Used Scandisk Extreme Pro 128Gb (FAT32-formatted, with 32Kb allocation unit) and my unit initially froze twice and I had to reset. Following that, when I loaded files on the Micro SD card through a card reader, then inserted the card, the unit would not show the contents (would still recognize the card and do a database update straight off the boot). I tried loading my songs (all FLAC files) on the Micro SD card while onboard the unit, from my laptop via the USB Micro connection (a much slower process than through a card reader). Again on booting the unit recognized the card and updated, but when I went to "Folders", it displayed two folders named "[Plenue]", the first being the onboard storage, the second the external card. The onboard "[Plenue]" folder displayed and played fine, as before. The external "[Plenue]" folder only once displayed a list of the actual file names that I had loaded, then stopped displaying the correct metadata, instead showing as many lines as loaded files all of which were named "Plenue" (no brackets). When screen-touching on one of these lines, the unit would play the song just fine, but the play screen showed "Unknown" where the file metadata should have been. Bottom line: the DAP recognized the external card, played the songs, but failed to recognize the metadata of the files it played. I tried another Sandisk Micro SD card (Sandisk Extreme, 128Gb), this time it failed to even recognize the card, though it was correctly formatted.

It's a very frustrating story, for something so basic for modern day DAPs as being fully compatible with portable external storage. It makes no sense to just play music (when you have thousands of files) without being able to see the metadata of what you are playing. And, for a DAP that offers no other frills (e.g. Android apps, Bluetooth, etc.) than just a music player, and has fairly limited storage on top of that, it's a failure if I'm being honest. Unfortunately, I only discovered this a year into using the DAP (I know, it was stupid of me not to check), after the onboard storage was filled up. Nevertheless, Cowon should have provided improvements in this respect with further firmware updates (rather than having stopped on v. 1.02). Thankfully, I was apparently still marginally under warranty (another thing, it's all but impossible to find warranty documents on the Cowon site, another poor service) and the seller, Amazon, agreed to replace the unit with a new one (well done Amazon, great service!). The sound on this thing is very decent and powerful (for the size and the price), which is the only reason I'd like to keep it as a totally portable solution, e.g. for travels. Problems like these, though, make me want to upgrade.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #906 of 952
Know that's an old thread, just wanted to report the same problem as @mbphotox above. Used Scandisk Extreme Pro 128Gb (FAT32-formatted, with 32Kb allocation unit) and my unit initially froze twice and I had to reset. Following that, when I loaded files on the Micro SD card through a card reader, then inserted the card, the unit would not show the contents (would still recognize the card and do a database update straight off the boot). I tried loading my songs (all FLAC files) on the Micro SD card while onboard the unit, from my laptop via the USB Micro connection (a much slower process than through a card reader). Again on booting the unit recognized the card and updated, but when I went to "Folders", it displayed two folders named "[Plenue]", the first being the onboard storage, the second the external card. The onboard "[Plenue]" folder displayed and played fine, as before. The external "[Plenue]" folder only once displayed a list of the actual file names that I had loaded, then stopped displaying the correct metadata, instead showing as many lines as loaded files all of which were named "Plenue" (no brackets). When screen-touching on one of these lines, the unit would play the song just fine, but the play screen showed "Unknown" where the file metadata should have been. Bottom line: the DAP recognized the external card, played the songs, but failed to recognize the metadata of the files it played. I tried another Sandisk Micro SD card (Sandisk Extreme, 128Gb), this time it failed to even recognize the card, though it was correctly formatted.

It's a very frustrating story, for something so basic for modern day DAPs as being fully compatible with portable external storage. It makes no sense to just play music (when you have thousands of files) without being able to see the metadata of what you are playing. And, for a DAP that offers no other frills (e.g. Android apps, Bluetooth, etc.) than just a music player, and has fairly limited storage on top of that, it's a failure if I'm being honest. Unfortunately, I only discovered this a year into using the DAP (I know, it was stupid of me not to check), after the onboard storage was filled up. Nevertheless, Cowon should have provided improvements in this respect with further firmware updates (rather than having stopped on v. 1.02). Thankfully, I was apparently still marginally under warranty (another thing, it's all but impossible to find warranty documents on the Cowon site, another poor service) and the seller, Amazon, agreed to replace the unit with a new one (well done Amazon, great service!). The sound on this thing is very decent and powerful (for the size and the price), which is the only reason I'd like to keep it as a totally portable solution, e.g. for travels. Problems like these, though, make me want to upgrade.
I had similar issues. Things worked for a while but fell apart.

The only thing I found helped was to use guiformat exactly as advised - not any other utility. Then things settled down.

I think the instructions are linked here: Link to post on guiformat

It is annoying that this otherwise excellent DAP has such a shortcoming. It is superb though when things ate sorted.

I use SANDISK ultra red and grey 128gb microsd cards - always bought from trusted sources as there are apparently many fakes out there.

I transfer these days with an Anker USB card reader as file transfer direct to the DAP I found to be slow.

My battery is rather short on capacity these days but I'd get it replaced rather then forfeit the D2 as I do love it for travelling.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #907 of 952
I had similar issues. Things worked for a while but fell apart.

The only thing I found helped was to use guiformat exactly as advised - not any other utility. Then things settled down.

I think the instructions are linked here: Link to post on guiformat

It is annoying that this otherwise excellent DAP has such a shortcoming. It is superb though when things ate sorted.

I use SANDISK ultra red and grey 128gb microsd cards - always bought from trusted sources as there are apparently many fakes out there.

I transfer these days with an Anker USB card reader as file transfer direct to the DAP I found to be slow.

My battery is rather short on capacity these days but I'd get it replaced rather then forfeit the D2 as I do love it for travelling.
Got mine replaced by Amazon, and the external Micro SD and its contents were instantly recognized on the new device. I had in fact used Guiformat to format the card and, as I'd said, its contents were read just fine in other devices, just not on the PD2. I agree with you, tho, for its size and cost it sounds very good and has got plenty of juice for my iems. Though upgrading to a DX300 now, I plan to keep the wee monster.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #908 of 952
Hello
Because of the 128 GB sd card limit, I wanted to use Ogg files encoded at high quality level : bitrate 425.
I filled my Sandisk extreme SD card (about 90 GB files), formatted with GUIformat32 as recommended, but when I turn on the D2 it shows the database scanning screen, arrows turning, until it gets in sleep mode again, but never seems to finish...
I also tried with D2 connected to power supply, same issue.
Any idea ?
P.s. : before I had used mp 320 files on the same SD card, no issues. I had also tried reading a few Ogg files, no issues.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #909 of 952
Hi,

Currently using a refurbished ipod classic. I have gotten used to itunes and how smooth that works for my taste in music (classical and opera). Finding the right album can be a real headache if I search by artist, album or song. An example would be one recording I have of Tristan und Isolde. CD1 had all the metadata in order, CD2 and 3 only displayed track numbers when I ripped them. There are other problems as well. Name of the work/album can be in english on some, german on others. It also varies if the composer, conductor or soloist is considered the "artist."

Anyway, I got used to creating playlists in itunes. I can create an infinte number of playlists without fiddling with the metadata or any tags. Can I do roughly the same thing with the folder system in the D2? And can I have folders within a folder (if I have numerous recordings of the same work)?

Lastly, how many characters are visable on the screen as you scroll through your list of folders? I wanna get an idea of how long the titles can be as I name my folders. Maybe someone could post pictures of their screen?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dan
I will preface this by saying that I have not used this application myself, but there is an application called Dapper on the Mac App Store that claims to be a utilize to sync iTunes with DAPs and the website lists the Plenue D as a tested DAP. I know the app has been around for a long time, so unless you're on Windows I would give it a try.

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #910 of 952
Hello
Because of the 128 GB sd card limit, I wanted to use Ogg files encoded at high quality level : bitrate 425.
I filled my Sandisk extreme SD card (about 90 GB files), formatted with GUIformat32 as recommended, but when I turn on the D2 it shows the database scanning screen, arrows turning, until it gets in sleep mode again, but never seems to finish...
I also tried with D2 connected to power supply, same issue.
Any idea ?
P.s. : before I had used mp 320 files on the same SD card, no issues. I had also tried reading a few Ogg files, no issues.

Hi @XP_98,

I suggest checking what resolution your album & song artwork is as usually anything above 800 x 800, D2 tries to read the image part of the file instead rather than the sound part for some reason so when it can't find something relevant, it will either get confused &/or just shut down.

See if this makes any difference, usually it does, your bitrate should ne fine, my files average above 400+

Hope you have a great day !

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #911 of 952
Thanks (can't test, I have sold my D2 and am waiting for D3 to arrive...).

Strange, meanwhile I had tried with "2 pass 320 kps" WMA encoding, same 7000 files, no issue...

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #912 of 952
Out of curiosity: have there ever been any custom user interfaces for the D2?
Something to speed up the device, make it more user friendly?

I don't commute anymore, so haven't really used mine a lot in the past 2 years.
Will be traveling again this summer, so I was wondering if it is at all possible to improve the device?

May 1, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #913 of 952
Out of curiosity: have there ever been any custom user interfaces for the D2?
Something to speed up the device, make it more user friendly?

I don't commute anymore, so haven't really used mine a lot in the past 2 years.
Will be traveling again this summer, so I was wondering if it is at all possible to improve the device?
There were some custom skins available on the old website (Korean version), but now I couldn’t find it. Anyhow it didn’t help with the speed. The UI is very slow no matter what you do. This is why I’m selling it…

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #914 of 952
My D2 battery is not lasting long now.

Does anyone know of replacements available? Or service in the UK?

Jun 22, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #915 of 952

Users who are viewing this thread

Back