New model Cowon - Plenue D2
May 22, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #931 of 952
Hi all

Long time lurker here!

I’m a massive Cowon Plenue D2 fan (what a device!) and decided to buy a “backup” device on eBay. This new device is claimed to be effectively brand new – having been in storage – and very much seems to be so except...

There’s a very strange issue with the previous track/back button whereby it actually goes to the next track or forwards, ie the same as the forward button. Nothing feels physically strange about the switch and so I can only imagine that possibly there’s a soldering issue on the board, but I don’t know.

Has anyone entered such a problem before or can anyone speculate as to what the issue might be? To add to the mystery, although the device seems overall tip top, compared to my other D2 the back placement seems slightly off with rough edges. I wonder if someone’s tried to open this to fix this, or if someone opened it and broke it! Or even whether someone was sold B stock.

Does anyone know if there’s anyone actively repairing Cowon devices in the UK or, even better, London? I’m wondering if such an issue could be looked at by a decent phone repair shop, or whether that’s asking for trouble...?!

Big thanks guys.
B

May 23, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #932 of 952
Hi all

Long time lurker here!

I’m a massive Cowon Plenue D2 fan (what a device!) and decided to buy a “backup” device on eBay. This new device is claimed to be effectively brand new – having been in storage – and very much seems to be so except...

There’s a very strange issue with the previous track/back button whereby it actually goes to the next track or forwards, ie the same as the forward button. Nothing feels physically strange about the switch and so I can only imagine that possibly there’s a soldering issue on the board, but I don’t know.

Has anyone entered such a problem before or can anyone speculate as to what the issue might be? To add to the mystery, although the device seems overall tip top, compared to my other D2 the back placement seems slightly off with rough edges. I wonder if someone’s tried to open this to fix this, or if someone opened it and broke it! Or even whether someone was sold B stock.

Does anyone know if there’s anyone actively repairing Cowon devices in the UK or, even better, London? I’m wondering if such an issue could be looked at by a decent phone repair shop, or whether that’s asking for trouble...?!

Big thanks guys.
B
Hi B,

With the caveat that I've sold my D2 years ago (yes, for its size and price it sounded great, and that battery time, man!, but SD card capacity was far too small and, of course, things have moved along in the market). I'm guessing you're saying the previous/forward track buttons work the other way round on your device? If memory serves, from factory the top button, as they are set with your device sitting vertically, moves the track back and the bottom one moves the track forward. But I remember there was a setting whereby you could change this, so if this was previously used perhaps the previous user changed this and did not restore factory settings?

I think Advanced MP3 Players do repairs on Cowon, you should inquire with them. Sorry if this is not of any help, as I said, I've not had the little guy for years now, so it's all from memory. Perhaps, a current owner out there can help. Hope you enjoy your device.

May 23, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #933 of 952
Last edited by a moderator:
May 23, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #934 of 952
Hi B,

With the caveat that I've sold my D2 years ago (yes, for its size and price it sounded great, and that battery time, man!, but SD card capacity was far too small and, of course, things have moved along in the market). I'm guessing you're saying the previous/forward track buttons work the other way round on your device? If memory serves, from factory the top button, as they are set with your device sitting vertically, moves the track back and the bottom one moves the track forward. But I remember there was a setting whereby you could change this, so if this was previously used perhaps the previous user changed this and did not restore factory settings?

I think Advanced MP3 Players do repairs on Cowon, you should inquire with them. Sorry if this is not of any help, as I said, I've not had the little guy for years now, so it's all from memory. Perhaps, a current owner out there can help. Hope you enjoy your device.

Hi Gentzen. Thanks for this. Ah think you've slightly got the wrong end of the stick - I'm aware the buttons might seem back to front to some, though I don't think so and that's not the issue! The issue is that the back or rewind button also goes forward or skips, ie the same as the forward/skip button. In other words, the rocker switch only does one function - forward. It's pretty strange. The physical button feels fine so it seems to be a soldering issue or something like that. (There's no setting to change the track rocker switch functionality apart from the amount of time to skip etc).

I've been in touch with NP Audio about a repair who say they can look at it. Has anyone had any experiences with them? Are they recommended? I've also written to AmpMP3 who've yet to get back to me about this.

PS I don't just think it's great for it's price and size, I think it objectively sounds amazing - using the balanced output. This is from someone who works in pro audio and uses Prism converters every day! I haven't heard the £1k plus DAPs but it's hard to believe they sound better?!

Cheers
B

May 23, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #936 of 952
Hi Gentzen. Thanks for this. Ah think you've slightly got the wrong end of the stick - I'm aware the buttons might seem back to front to some, though I don't think so and that's not the issue! The issue is that the back or rewind button also goes forward or skips, ie the same as the forward/skip button. In other words, the rocker switch only does one function - forward. It's pretty strange. The physical button feels fine so it seems to be a soldering issue or something like that. (There's no setting to change the track rocker switch functionality apart from the amount of time to skip etc).

I've been in touch with NP Audio about a repair who say they can look at it. Has anyone had any experiences with them? Are they recommended? I've also written to AmpMP3 who've yet to get back to me about this.

PS I don't just think it's great for it's price and size, I think it objectively sounds amazing - using the balanced output. This is from someone who works in pro audio and uses Prism converters every day! I haven't heard the £1k plus DAPs but it's hard to believe they sound better?!

Cheers
B
Aye, I didn't get what the problem was, alright. Sorry, can't help you there, but it sure sounds like a fault. NP Audio's Dave is a great guy. I've had chats with him when I rooted my DAP and he was very helpful. I've heard lots of good stuff about him on the iBasso threads in here. So I think you should give him a try.

Regarding its sound, I'd say it punches above its belt for sure. Whilst having it, I got a DX300 (Amp11) new from Ibasso for 3X the price and, honestly, i'd say at the margins the PD2 sounded better to me, not only off the box, but also after some proper burn-in time. So, I agree that it sounds really good. On the other hand, it's no match for my DX300 Max Ti, in holography, depth, staging or lower-mid frequencies. But, we're talking here about very high-end portable, also at prices that bear no comparison. Plus size is very different, the D2 is proper mini-portable, goes everywhere in your pocket. So, all in all, I'd always recommend the PD2.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #939 of 952
I re-read the thread since this player was back in 2019.
This player is good value for money.
People have different opinions about this device.
Well, I remember it well and there is plenue D3, which is similar in many ways. Well, still a little better than the plenue D2 model.
It is very strange to demand so much from a device with a price of 350 dollars.
He will feel quite confident with modern players from other manufacturers in this price segment.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #940 of 952
Found the first really infuriating issue with my D2...
I cannot find it anymore :triumph:

I even started wondering if I had sold the thing, but there are no completed sales on any of the auction sites I use.. I found my FiiO X5II that I sold, but not the Plenue D2..
It's not where I usually kept it (in the little box with all the headphones and stuff), and I'm kinda desperate right now. (haha)

Just put my unused FiiO M11s up for sale because I never used it and started to feel like grabbing my Plenue again, because that one I could at least easily put in my pocket...

I last had it with me when we travelled across Asia a year and a half ago.. checkec a dozen different bags and pouches, all my "stuffs" boxes, drawers, etc. It's nowhere to be found. :frowning2:

Now I'm considering getting a Plenue D3, but I'm not even sure if I would use it.. just felt like I'd be using the D2 from time to time when out and about. buying a new thing after losing hundreds on that FiiO M11s? (It still has half its warranty, but I had to discount it for 200 bucks and still nobody wants it)

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #941 of 952
I lost my S9 and really upset. The sound was so good. I don't know if the spies stole it since I had the 1995 Judge Dredd movie on it and that got banned in Australia.... they don't want me dying of thirst like that guy who goes for a walk into the desert... and they didn't make me their saviour either.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #942 of 952
Hi guys. Just read few pages on this topic. I have an opportunity to try and buy this DAP. But what makes me a bit hesitating is about line - out. Do you think it will works with a Chord Mojo device? Thanks a lot in advance for your answers

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #943 of 952
Hi guys. Just read few pages on this topic. I have an opportunity to try and buy this DAP. But what makes me a bit hesitating is about line - out. Do you think it will works with a Chord Mojo device? Thanks a lot in advance for your answers
Hello, talking about PD2, from what I remember it doesn't have a proper line-out (like, you don't get an analog signal that bypasses the amp), so you're looking at double amplification if you connect to an external amp. I don't recall it having any other connectivity either (like co-axial S/PDIF or USB-C) With the caveat that, I haven't had this little device for some years now.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #944 of 952
Hello. I have cowon plenue d3, r2, 2 mkII
They do not have a separate line output. for some reason it is not implemented by Cowon
I would not recommend it for such use.
because I connected my devices to a stationary amplifier. I didn't like the result

Users who are viewing this thread

Back