New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Oct 7, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #661 of 952
If Cowon team is reading this thread sometimes, I do so much second this asking !
+100 !

If Cowon team is reading this thread sometimes, I do so much second this asking !
+100 !
I never saw the Cowon team posting and not in the sponsor list either, thus useless quotes/posts.
Memory will stay at 128GB as is by design, you want more go buy the higher tiers.
Show them what difference between the FLAC files thats causing crashing.
You should direct contact them on their webpage if you can, good luck with that!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #662 of 952
I'd suggest that Cowon celebrates this success with a new firmware, solving the issues that we mentioned several times... :)

The FLAC file compatibility issue is a common problem with Cowon players and they address it in Firmware Updates. If you look at other players firmware updates on the Cowon website you'll see it.

It's frustrating that pretty much every player released by every company usually has problems, sometimes major ones, when released. I'd have more respect for them if the players did what was stated in their marketing material from launch. It'd be nice if we didn't have to wait for firmware updates to address them. All it says to me is that their R & D teams are not that great or that they are trying to release Products before their rivals do when they're clearly not ready to be released.

It's often the case that they're Hardware ready but not Software ready.

Adding new features in Firmware updates is great but when a product is at a rudimentary stage and not close to the finished article at launch, it's annoying. It makes me feel like I'm involuntarily involved in a beta test.

Sadly, it's not a unique problem with Cowon, it's pretty much industry wide in scope.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #663 of 952
I’ll try! I find with the different Plenues I’ve tried there is a sibling similarity between them all. Actually before getting the M2 I bought a P2 mk II, and ended up returning it. I know, it’s supposed to be one the highest in the line up, but just didn’t do it for me, it seemed quite colored with a soft bass impact. The M2, D2 and V have probably been my favorites so far, and R is very good too.

I’ve just been doing some AB comparisons between the M2 and single ended of the D2, without JetEffects and with fast filter settings on both. They’re both rated as 2 Vrms so I set them both to headphone mode and the same volume of 72, with B&W P7s to test. I didn’t measure the volume output but they sounded the same volume to my ears.

The M2 has a slightly analogue/warm tilt to the sound. Not much, but the D2 is maybe more straight and neutral with a little touch of color in the M2 tone. I think both have the same bass range and reach as deep, but the weight or emphasis of the bass sound isn’t as low on the M2. As if the M2 has more weight around 200 Hz say (purely pulling that number out of my head) compared to a more linear or 100 Hz emphasis on the D2 (again using the number just for an example, I haven’t tried to locate the actual frequency). The D2 does seem to have more distinct presentation of bass notes, where it’s easier to make out multiple lower notes played simultaneously (bass layering). The M2 does have good strong bass though - better than the P2 mk II to my ears!

The D2 is a bit brighter in the treble and upper mids. Actually I had noticed on the V it could be prone to sibilance, so pulled out a few tracks with prominent “s”s to test the D2 since it’s got the same DAC, and they do jump out of the mix more with the D2 than the M2. But it seems improved on the D2 compared to what I remember on the V.

The D2 soundstage has good left/right presentation, but interestingly I hear the M2 as feeling like there’s more depth in the sound, with the D2 a bit flatter.

Start up is much faster on M2, and the screen is better of course, here’s them both set to 4 brightness, better color, depth and resolution on the M2, probably not that visible on the pics but is in person:

More UI pics:

The M2 has a menu item for gapless (remove silence) which the D2 doesn’t, wonder if that relates to gapless stutter on the D2:

All in all they’re both good, not sure which I like better! I need more time to compare the balanced on the D2 though - the only headphones I’ve got with balanced wiring/cables at the moment are Shure SRH1540s, which I’d boxed up for sale. I tried the balanced out briefly yesterday with them before boxing them up.

did you really return the P2 Mkii? it's amazing that you didn't like the sound, it's supposed to be better Lol

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #665 of 952
did you really return the Pki Mkii? it's amazing that you didn't like the sound, it's supposed to be better Lol
Yeah, maybe I'm just a brute! lol. But, I've just picked up a Plenue S second hand and am loving the sound. Strange, some players hit the mark for me, some don't, and it doesn't necessarily match with the price. Like I mentioned in the post above, in the Plenue line one of favorite has been the V - one of the cheapest! Likewise previously I've had a DX200, but preferred the DX80. Wasn't really sold on the sound of the SR15 either, even though it's one of the more expensive players I've had.

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #666 of 952
Yeah, maybe I'm just a brute! lol. But, I've just picked up a Plenue S second hand and am loving the sound. Strange, some players hit the mark for me, some don't, and it doesn't necessarily match with the price. Like I mentioned in the post above, in the Plenue line one of favorite has been the V - one of the cheapest! Likewise previously I've had a DX200, but preferred the DX80. Wasn't really sold on the sound of the SR15 either, even though it's one of the more expensive players I've had.
This really is strange! but I like your honesty ... I hope you enjoy D2, it sure is. Unfortunately this is not for me, I have read that the D2 has several software errors following the comments of this thread ... And I can not live with that ... although the sound is great!

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #667 of 952
Just received the D2 today. After not so much fun with 2 other units, both starting with the letter “H”, I steered away from all the extra features.... Bluetooth, WiFi et al.
All I want is good sonics, balanced out and reliability.
First impression visually is that it’s pretty stark. No frills, no look at me.
Charging now, anxious to load and listen.
Any recs on firmware versions?

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #668 of 952
Just received the D2 today. After not so much fun with 2 other units, both starting with the letter “H”, I steered away from all the extra features.... Bluetooth, WiFi et al.
The most recent firmware works fine. In my opinion(and I love the unit) it’s most shining quality is it’s EQ, BBE and preloaded DSP effects. That’s where you will hear what this unit can do. Hope you enjoy it!

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #670 of 952
What DAP do you mean by "h"?

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #675 of 952
I’m looking for comparisons between Cowon Plenue D2 and iBasso DX160 but couldn’t find anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back