New Member Introductions thread
Jun 27, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #14,761 of 15,646
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on here for too long, and today finally joined the community! I've been in the audiophile world for a few years now, looking forward to sharing it all with you and learning some new things.

Jun 27, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #14,762 of 15,646
Hi internet!

I’m Aidela from Sydney, Australia and completely new to the audiophile world. I have only a budget-level DAP, namely a Fiio M3K which I paired with the cheapest earphones from the local tech store. I kinda figured I wasn’t getting the most of my DAP, even if it is budget-level tech so I’d like to delve more into buying an IEM appropriate for my listening needs and visit more of the audiophile world like DACs and amplifiers
Welcome!

Jun 27, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #14,763 of 15,646
I have a question that is sort of subjective but may have a definitive answer. I’m only 16 so I am sort of afraid that if I go to a convention or showroom and ask to try a pair on I’ll get treated as a kid and or not trusted with high end equipment, is this at all valid?

It may be worth noting that despite my age I have been in the hobby for over three years and do have quite a lot of experience, so it’s not as if I’m new to this

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #14,772 of 15,646
I have a question that is sort of subjective but may have a definitive answer. I’m only 16 so I am sort of afraid that if I go to a convention or showroom and ask to try a pair on I’ll get treated as a kid and or not trusted with high end equipment, is this at all valid?

It may be worth noting that despite my age I have been in the hobby for over three years and do have quite a lot of experience, so it’s not as if I’m new to this
Shops have come a long way:

You won`t always be trusted no matter how old you are.
Just explore, and be kind to salespeople....that opens gates.

Jul 2, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #14,773 of 15,646
Hi there!
I have been coming to this site for years now and thought it was finally time to sign up and join in on discussions and get your informed opinions on gear and tips on what equipment to get.
My experience with headphones is rather limited. I started out in the early 90ies as a teen with flathead earbuds that came with an aiwa walkman. I then stepped up my game with a closed back Sony headphone "made for digital" - CD players were getting cheap and entering the mass market. I still own this one and like it for its neutral midrange and nice dynamics. It enables me to discern the dry/wet parts of a signal in recordings - pretty impressive! There is however no bass below 80hz and nothing above 11khz.
At one point a few years ago I got myself the radsone es100 and the shuoer tape InEar. The Es100 was a great buy, the shuoer tape being very underwhelming in my opinion. I am a firm believer in EQ and that everyones Hrtf is different, i succeeded in making the tape listenable for me via the es100, but it seems extremely compressed to me, dynamics are really bad. The 3d headphone I own is the house of marley exodus on-ear from around 2010. I use this in conjunction with the es100 at work in the office. Bass is somewhat soft, trying to eq for more air and detail is sadly only resulting in harshness, i guess the driver is simply not capable enough.
Still I enjoy this setup. I am looking to upgrade my equipment, I see a qudelix 5k (I know my way around parametric eq having done some mixing for our hobby band) and some nice flathead earbuds on the horizon for me.
Sorry for the long post 😅 - I will head over to the flathead earbuds roundup thread for now!
Donald

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #14,774 of 15,646
Greetings and Salutations!!

I’m Francis, and as many before me, I’ve been a long-time and frequent “lurker” on the forums, soaking up all the info and recommendations. We’re talking about 8 years now. When I started out, I was looking for my first “real” headphones (DT1350) an IEMs (DUNU Titan 1), to upgrade from the hissy Blue MoFi, and airplane/off-the-shelf earbuds.

I decided to join to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and experience here to build and improve my stack in search of that ever-elusive audio “end-game;” To join a community of likeminded individuals; To share my constructive opinions on audio matters of interest; To keep abreast of audio great news; To improve my audio knowledge; And to hopefully be able to pay it all forward with advice for those who come after me.

As for what stage of my audio journey I’m at: I’m currently looking to purchase my first CIEMs, as well as a DAP that can pair well with my current UIEMs of choice: Sony IER-M9.

As for the genes I listen to, I’m into Afrobeats, Hip-Hop (mostly instrumental, these days), Jazz (all, but especially Fusion), Electronic (thanks to Kaytranada), Soul/R&B, Funk, Gospel, some Rock and Solo Piano, as I’m learning piano right now.

I look forward to interacting with you all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back