New Member Introductions thread
Apr 25, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #14,571 of 15,594
Hi, I'm Layke. I had a pair of grados in highschool, someone stole them and 15 years later I bought another pair of grados and I'm actually using them correctly this time and I'm wowed by their sound. I used to use them with an mp3 player and I didn't realize they had much more potential.

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #14,572 of 15,594
Hi, I'm Layke. I had a pair of grados in highschool, someone stole them and 15 years later I bought another pair of grados and I'm actually using them correctly this time and I'm wowed by their sound. I used to use them with an mp3 player and I didn't realize they had much more potential.
Hello, Layke. Which Grado and what are you using it with? + Visit the ‘Grado Fan Club!’ thread in the ‘Headphone (full size)’ forum.

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #14,573 of 15,594
Hello, I created a new account back in 2009 when I looking for my first pair of in ear monitors. I ended up with a pair of Eytomic ER6i that I beat the heck out of and even dissected them to replace the cable. (I am a nerd with SMT soldering capability and have built a few headphone amps back in the day). After 14 years of abuse they finally wore out and I replaced them with the Eytomic MK5, which really did not seem as good as the ER6i's. I just figured I had such good luck with the Eytomic I'd stick with them. Now looking at the options of modern tech, it's a bit overwhelming to play catch up and figure out a good replacement for my needs. Noise isolation and good bass is what I liked about the ER6i. So much has changed I'm not sure where to start, I had always figured the Shure 215 was the best option for replacement, but I hear read that model is pretty long in the tooth. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #14,574 of 15,594
Hello, Layke. Which Grado and what are you using it with? + Visit the ‘Grado Fan Club!’ thread in the ‘Headphone (full size)’ forum.
I got the 80x and ms1 recently, I'm lost on how to use them portably, I want to walk with it and use my limited storage smartphone offline but I also don't have a PC. I have three phones, two androids (with 64gb SD card) and an 16 or 32gb iPhone that needs a new screen. I got a type C apple dongle yesterday but didn't realize my working android is micro usb so I'll get an adapter if I use that phone. I also need tidal or similar. I'm not sure which phone to use or which dongle DAC, there's so many but I don't want to spend over $50 CAD if I can't hear much of a difference (I'm looking at a best dongle under $100 shootout, also have two $40ish recommendations - c31993 and DSD). I figured I'd get my 5S fixed, it should store about 400 hi res songs if it's 16gb.

Apr 26, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #14,575 of 15,594
Hello, I created a new account back in 2009 when I looking for my first pair of in ear monitors. I ended up with a pair of Eytomic ER6i that I beat the heck out of and even dissected them to replace the cable. (I am a nerd with SMT soldering capability and have built a few headphone amps back in the day). After 14 years of abuse they finally wore out and I replaced them with the Eytomic MK5, which really did not seem as good as the ER6i's. I just figured I had such good luck with the Eytomic I'd stick with them. Now looking at the options of modern tech, it's a bit overwhelming to play catch up and figure out a good replacement for my needs. Noise isolation and good bass is what I liked about the ER6i. So much has changed I'm not sure where to start, I had always figured the Shure 215 was the best option for replacement, but I hear read that model is pretty long in the tooth. Any suggestions?
Hi! I would honestly start with the Salnotes Zero or Truthear Hola as both have very good very new DD drivers and isolate sound pretty well if you find a good pair of ear tips! But most importantly both are super cheap and have a great frequency response so great tuning with the former being more neutral and the latter being a bit warmer and bassier 👍

Apr 26, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #14,577 of 15,594
Hi everyone! My name's Dmitri and I'm not new to the site, but I finally made an account. I've been obsessed with music for quite some time.
Hello, Dmitri ! What are your listening preferences? It’s nice to know of a music obsession > an equipment obsession! 🤪😀.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #14,580 of 15,594
Hi everyone! I'm Joseph from the UK

I'm quite new to the hobby and the site! Though it feels like I'm already sinking into the hobby quite a bit with my recent purchases :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back